Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Help Me with my volleys!!! (Video) (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=222937)

Homey 09-23-2008 05:47 AM

Help Me with my volleys!!! (Video)

OK..my volleys stink. I have trouble volleying consistently. I have a hard time placing the volley where it should go. I feel like there are some fundamental issues that are not correct.

Take a look at the three small videos below and give me some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.

Thanks!

Forehand Volley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aQG76INfpk

Backhand Volley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=becmAFK2ZFE

Backhand Volley side view
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXYMGhFHfOE

Nellie 09-23-2008 06:55 AM

The forehand volley motion looks good. My only comment is that you need to bend your knees more to get you racquet handle under the head of the racquet. Ideally, you should be be bending your knees and dropping you rear end so that you are hitting the volley about chest height, especially with balls that slow.

You also need more knee bend and drop on the backhand side. More importantly, the backhand volley looks like slice shot with way too much swing and too much trying the cut/knife the shot. In my opinion, your contact point is also too close to your body. Try hitting with more of an extended arm, while keeping your wrist, elbow, and shoulder pretty still. The whole volley swing path of the racquet head is about 6 inches. Try hitting this pretty flat and straight, and the slice will come naturally from the downward path of the arm, and not from knifing under the ball.

Also, I noticed that you are taking your eyes off the ball too early - note that your head never turns to look at the ball until contact, which means you are losing sight of the ball well before it contacts your racquet.

Also, as you get better, you should try to turn and step into the volley to provide the force for contact. Now, you are pretty much standing there and letting the ball hit your racquet.

Also, as a practice tip, try making the ball maching going a little faster and higher. It is hard in general to high balls dipping under the net because you will need to hit the ball up and over the net, encouraging you to open the racquet face too much.

smoothtennis 09-23-2008 07:59 AM

Forehand - Close to net one more step, catch the ball at it's apex, not while it's dropping (as much as possible), and last thing - contact the ball further out in front of your body - that does NOT mean to swing the racket out to that position, but to have it in that position, and put your weight into the volley. Do not swing once ounce more than you are doing currently.

Backhand - Quit swinging! Look at your forehand vid, and then imitate that on the backhand side. Same foot work and contact points apply on both sides btw.

All in all - Forehand volley looks decent - foot work and contact point will take you to the next level. Backhand needs to have no more swing that you have on the forehand side. Note - become aware of how much you are bending your elbow - use a straighter arm . Let your body to do the work, not your elbow joint.

roc17355 09-23-2008 08:09 AM

I would agree

^^^^ I mainly agree with the last post. On the forehand you need to take the ball earlier and more out in front, your letting the ball drop below the net so it is almost impossible to drive the ball through the court. When you let the ball drop below the net, as I do alot, you tens to hit the little pop up volleys which now gives your opponent a short ball and puts you on defense which is exactly the opposite of coming to net. Just be a little more aggresive, take it early and step into the ball. Thats where you will get your "punch" from.

roc17355 09-23-2008 08:17 AM

Same on backhand

Take it early above the net and dont swing at the ball. You could probably move your grip a little farther towards and eastern backhand grip so your racquet face is a little more "square" at impact. IT looks like the racquet face is pointing to much upwards, I know alot of people volley like this to get the backspin on the ball but when you take it below the net like you are all you can do is pop it up either sailing it long, once again giving your opponent the short ball. Keep it loose at net so you can change grips quickly if necessary, get more eastern on the backhand, take it early, step into it and walla. Just my 2 cents.

Homey 09-23-2008 08:21 AM

Straight(er) arm

So I need to have a straight arm or at least a straighter arm on the backhand side.

It seems like my arm is bent on the forehand side also? Is that OK???

Is there any drill or training aid I can use to keep me from chopping at the backhand volley? The motion should be more horizontal and less vertical, is that right??

Thanks

Spokewench 09-23-2008 08:24 AM

Concentrate on keeping your racquet out in front more; do not swing; keep the butt of your racquet down more - do not let it get sideways from your body. If you have to bend your knees more to do that, then get down lower for those low volleys.

Make sure you are not square to the ball when you hit, i.e. turn some and then step into the volley as you hit; this will give you pace and power versus trying to get that with the dreaded swing

fuzz nation 09-23-2008 09:18 AM

If your wrist and arm are too active in your volleys, you can drill yourself by hitting them from back at the "T" while holding the racquet up on the throat. This will make you be more deliberate with your move through the ball as you hit it so that you produce a penetrating shot (Ahoy footwork!). Trying to hit volleys with that grip up on the throat can also be helpful for finding a good contact point - if you go too far out in front of you to hit the ball (toward the net), the racquet can actually slide under the ball and pop it up. Go out and get that volley, just don't go out too far.

It's okay if you have a little elbow bend as you start a bh volley, but you want to take it out almost straight in time for contact - that extension can actually put a little zip on your volley, but your feet are the reliable engines for your move through the shot.

When you set for that bh volley and take the racquet to that side, look at the "L" that's formed between the racquet's throat and your forearm. As you take the racquet through that compact movement to the ball for your volley, that "L" needs to stay intact for good mechanics and control on that side. Avoid letting your wrist turn over and allowing the racquet to release like it would in a groundstroke - that's counterproductive up at net.

Gugafan_Redux 09-23-2008 09:24 AM

I didn't read everyone's, so apologies if this has been said. The first 5 or so, your right foot moves behind you as you hit the volley, like you're genuflecting in church.

I believe textbook volley technique is to stomp forward with the foot on your racquet hand side (right foot for righties, left foot for lefties) as contact the ball. This helps you move forward, cut of the angle and punch away. Don't let the ball come to you, and definitely don't step back, as this foot motion almost does.

roc17355 09-23-2008 09:43 AM

Decent vid

I was trying to find a Federer backhand volley vid but this one has good points.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obz6eCpm_Bw

Bungalo Bill 09-23-2008 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homey (Post 2733503)
OK..my volleys stink. I have trouble volleying consistently. I have a hard time placing the volley where it should go. I feel like there are some fundamental issues that are not correct.

Take a look at the three small videos below and give me some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.

Thanks!

Forehand Volley

Backhand Volley

Move your head towards your volleys and not away from it. This will also help you not step backwards with your right foot. You need to be closer to the ball for more control and pop. Also, moving your head towards the ball will also help you get your body at the right height as well (i.e. bend your knees, or get your but.t lower).

Your eyes are the most important component you have to hit good clean volleys on time. You must get better at reading the ball off the opponents strings to improve your skills. Reading the ball off the opponents strings is paramount for practice and building your anticipation skills is paramount to good volleying. You must develop this skill if you want to be good at volleying.

Also, stop using your wrist and fingers so much to "move" the ball around. With poor footwork and balls coming at you at different speeds, you are going to flub more volleys than you would like this way.

Let the ball come in, move your head towards the ball, use your weight transfer to help put punch on the ball. Hit and control your volleys from the upper arm (elbow to shoulder).

For the backhand? Stop swinging and do the above. Bend your knees, get lower. Is there any way you can get the ball moving with faster pace? Technically, you should be moving in on those balls and crushing them. On some of the balls you let them drop either at the netline or slightly below it. For a slow ball like that, I hope you are not planning on standing there and letting the ball sort of loop to you. Right? Please say you are not going to let that happen in real play.

klinsi 02-21-2009 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homey (Post 2733503)

Thanks!

Forehand Volley

Backhand Volley

Maybe you need this device
http://www.tennisracketbracket.com/t...Volley_Tip.php

junbumkim 02-21-2009 08:44 PM

I agree with what others say.

Keep your elbows out in front of your body, not to the side of your body, but IN FRONT. As you move to volley, you just stick your racket out.

Volleying is intercepting a ball. You are always looking to cut off angles by moving toward the ball and into the ball. In the drill, you are sort of letting the ball come to you and blocking it back, instead you should be stepping INTO the ball.

Also, bend your knees, keep your back straight, keep your elbow out in front, and move your feet.

Blake0 02-22-2009 06:24 AM

Forehand volley: you're bringing your right leg back which makes your momentum go backwards and not having much power on your volley. 80% of your power on volleys come from your legs moving forward or cross over stepping and only 20% from your hands. Try to just bring your left leg forward or try to cross over and hit a volley from their. you'll get more power and the ball will stay lower and not pop up. You also won't have the luxury to use your current volley (mainly because of your footwork) in real match play effectively, most of the shots hit hard will make your volley pop up, giving an easy pass to your opponent.

Backhand volley: you step forward, and don't bring your leg back like you do on the forehand side. I'm not much of an expert (well im no expert at all :)) but you look like your slicing the ball in the air..thats what i do. You're supposed to cross step or step forward and hit the ball with a short stroke, or short take back, like you do on the forehand side. Try to get your body sideways and hit out in front of you.

This is what i hear from my coach tell to me or everyone else so 90% of this is from my coach indirectly :). He's been in the top 100 in the world so i trust his views on the volley.
These are a few tips on the volley which will be helpful.
1. Learn to split step
2. Hit the volleys out in front of you
3. Short backswing, and follow through.
4. cross over or step forward (keep your body weight moving forward)
5. 80% of your volley power comes from your legs 20% from your arm.

beckham 02-22-2009 06:31 AM

FOREHAND VOLLEY: Make sure you move in and attack the ball more. You are just standing at the service line, and not moving in enough. With that in mind (coming into net) close your racquet face and "punch"(but dont swing) through the volley.

BACKHAND VOLLEY: Again, moving in would benefit you, coming into net. When you are hitting the ball you want to "punch" through it. You are slicing it way to much. You racquet arm needs to be at 90-125 degrees with your racqet, and your racquet face should be flatter, more closed. Then moving into and through the ball, you will punch it into the court.

beckham 02-22-2009 06:33 AM

W/ moving in, take the ball higher between the waist and shoulder.

LeeD 02-22-2009 08:13 AM

An approach from the mental side....
If you plan to stay in position on a volley, DO NOT go for deep winners and angles. Try to underspin the ball just past the service line, about half way to the baseline. Why? You save the winner, hard sliced angle for when you move INTO the court on ONE putaway shot. You movement forwards provides the extra depth to get the ball close to the baseline.
As for stroke. It's very good! You try to bounce the ball going for too much depth. Let your body movement forwards provide it.
Almost EVERY pro volleyer has a much longer backhand stroke than their forehand punch! So does yours. Not a bad thing. I think it's something to do with a slightly unbalanced volley grip, towards the backhand side.
Note Edberg, Cash, Rafter, and Sampras all use a longer, more forceful backhand swing than their forehand punches. The volley is NOT a balanced grip, as is neither the service grip.
Now read and try to understand all the other posts.
Consider MINE is thru experience, not theory or "ideal". I talked to some top 50 pros way back when, and they actually found the time to show me their exact grips, and some whys and why nots.....
Choose for yourself what you want to embrace and adopt.

EikelBeiter 02-22-2009 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 3155425)
An approach from the mental side....
If you plan to stay in position on a volley, DO NOT go for deep winners and angles. Try to underspin the ball just past the service line, about half way to the baseline. Why? You save the winner, hard sliced angle for when you move INTO the court on ONE putaway shot. You movement forwards provides the extra depth to get the ball close to the baseline.
As for stroke. It's very good! You try to bounce the ball going for too much depth. Let your body movement forwards provide it.
Almost EVERY pro volleyer has a much longer backhand stroke than their forehand punch! So does yours. Not a bad thing. I think it's something to do with a slightly unbalanced volley grip, towards the backhand side.
Note Edberg, Cash, Rafter, and Sampras all use a longer, more forceful backhand swing than their forehand punches. The volley is NOT a balanced grip, as is neither the service grip.
Now read and try to understand all the other posts.
Consider MINE is thru experience, not theory or "ideal". I talked to some top 50 pros way back when, and they actually found the time to show me their exact grips, and some whys and why nots.....
Choose for yourself what you want to embrace and adopt.

What do you mean with a balanced grip ?

LeeD 02-22-2009 08:53 AM

Balanced grip... a form of continental that hits EQUALLY both forehand and backhand.
Basically, you could say some weak volleyers have that. Very few GOOD volleyers do, as they always need to swing bigger, longer, stronger, and with more body movement moving in on their BACKHAND volleys.
Balanced grip... can do both sides, NEITHER side any good.

EikelBeiter 02-22-2009 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 3155523)
Balanced grip... a form of continental that hits EQUALLY both forehand and backhand.
Basically, you could say some weak volleyers have that. Very few GOOD volleyers do, as they always need to swing bigger, longer, stronger, and with more body movement moving in on their BACKHAND volleys.
Balanced grip... can do both sides, NEITHER side any good.

I see, well then i'm going to have to disagree with you :)

Reaction volleys (little time to react) are hit with the same grip. If you have time to spare there can be a little change in the backhand or forehand grip, but its a slight one