Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   TW Questions/Comments (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Racquet finder: Terrible service (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=226165)

S H O W S T O P P E R ! 10-12-2008 06:16 PM

Racquet finder: Terrible service

I've been looking around for a new stick, and I decided to give racketfinder.com a try. All the results are old sticks that I can't buy or demo. I have some ideas:

1. Update the format of the page. It looks really outdated.
2. Unless you can't buy or demo the stick, don't keep it in the database. That ticked me off; I was looking at sticks that were discontinued.

Thanks for reading.

meowmix 10-12-2008 06:33 PM

Really? I actually really like the service. And btw, why shouldn't old sticks be kept in the database? It really aids people when they're trying to find a stick to move onto when they're switching from their old sticks.

S H O W S T O P P E R ! 10-12-2008 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meowmix (Post 2779446)
Really? I actually really like the service. And btw, why shouldn't old sticks be kept in the database? It really aids people when they're trying to find a stick to move onto when they're switching from their old sticks.

You have a point, but it clutters up the results. What if someone finds the perfect stick, something that exactly fit what they wanted? (ok, that's pretty unlikely. But let's be hypothetical.) What if they go read through all possible reviews online, compared every other stick like it side by side, only to find out it was discontinued? Heartbreaking.

AznRamenDude 10-12-2008 06:57 PM

^^^ Exactly. It helped me found my n95 :)

I think the option you are looking for is something like "Search for instock/current racquets at TW"

Mansewerz 10-12-2008 07:00 PM

There's a "show only available sticks" check box

S H O W S T O P P E R ! 10-12-2008 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mansewerz (Post 2779490)
There's a "show only available sticks" check box

Clicked it, I saw a Head LM Fire, Prince Air Vanquish Mid+ and a Wilson H Rival Mid+. I never even heard of those sticks.

ChipNCharge 10-12-2008 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S H O W S T O P P E R ! (Post 2779541)
Clicked it, I saw a Head LM Fire, Prince Air Vanquish Mid+ and a Wilson H Rival Mid+. I never even heard of those sticks.

So you want TW's raquetfinder to just list the racquets you've heard of?

S H O W S T O P P E R ! 10-12-2008 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChipNCharge (Post 2779572)
So you want TW's raquetfinder to just list the racquets you've heard of?

No, just sticks that can still be purchased.

Mdubb23 10-12-2008 07:54 PM

Yeah, the fact that they show racquets that they don't even carry anymore as "current" kind of irks me. They have the whole N Code Line, the whole Liquidmetal line etc...they even still have the PS 6.0 and my personal holy grail the Babolat Pure Control.

TW Staff 10-13-2008 09:08 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

A newer version of Racquet Finder is currently in the works.

Chris, TW

BreakPoint 10-13-2008 11:49 AM

I actually wish Racquet Finder would show the details of even MORE old racquets. A lot of times I want to find the specs of an older discontinued racquet, and if I'm lucky, I can enter the approximate specs of that racquet and find it in the database but a lot of other times I don't think the racquet that I'm trying to pull up is still in the database. I wish ALL racquets going back at least 15 years were in the database.

MaOira 10-15-2008 08:53 PM

I think racquet finder should also be able to refine the search by string pattern a well.

proracketeer 10-15-2008 11:03 PM

And beam width, please.

TW Staff 10-16-2008 02:11 PM

Beam width and string pattern have been built into the new version.

Chris, TW

rich s 10-17-2008 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 2790950)

Chris, TW

How soon before it debuts?

Tennissee 12-07-2008 07:19 AM

I'm so excited ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 2790950)

Chris, TW

Gosh, I'm so excited about this. TW has been great to tennis aficionados like myself. I use the main website for new racquets, strings, grips, reviews, comparisons; I love the forum, of course; and I constantly have a tab on the Racquet Finder section. Granted, there is room to grow and improve, but that's the nature of such a service. It's hard to be all things to all people. Truth be told though, it has been a great value to TW's presence on Internet.

I'm sure TW is already in the process of addressing this, but besides improving the FORM and making it look glitzier and less dated, many of us would probably be more excited about the expansion on the FUNCTION. Some ideas may include:
  • Expand the database to include more racquets from more manufacturers and eras. There's no reason to ever reduce the size of the database. Search function, not the database itself, would help narrow things down.
  • Improve the search function, e.g. availability, string pattern, beam width, production years. The production years info would let people search only the most recent generation racquets or old-school goodies alike.
  • Add connectivity to other TW site functions, e.g. racquet comparison, pro users, customer/user reviews, and you-may-also-like-these-racquets
  • Provide availability status at TW, e.g. in-stock, on-order, ... After all, TW has to bring home the bacon. Got to link this to sales, right? :)
  • Color pictures of the racquets. Trust me, people will love this. You already have some really like pictures for new racquets from the last several generations; and you can let the forum users to contribute by providing pictures of some older/harder to find sticks.

Many of these are already present in various forms on your website and I'm sure you have considered more than the short list mentioned here. I, for one, appreciate the constraints of resources and manpower involved to maintain and improve on this already excellent service at TW. A big thank you in advance.

Mdubb23 12-23-2008 04:42 PM

Bump.

Any new word on the new racquet finder? Or are you waiting to launch it until the new sticks have been released?

Tennissee 12-23-2008 04:53 PM

Actually, www.racquetfinder.com hasn't been working for several days. I sure hope that this is ONLY because TW is getting ready to launch the new site and we're caught between the old and the new.

(At this point, after trying to use it and couldn't for several times in the past few days, I would be quite happy just to have the old one back ...)

Mdubb23 12-23-2008 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennissee (Post 2949255)
Actually, www.racquetfinder.com hasn't been working for several days. I sure hope that this is ONLY because TW is getting ready to launch the new site and we're caught between the old and the new.

(At this point, after trying to use it and couldn't for several times in the past few days, I would be quite happy just to have the old one back ...)

My thoughts exactly.

proracketeer 01-19-2009 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennissee (Post 2949255)

Third. (3.)