Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Parents Being Waaaay too cheap. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=226318)

S H O W S T O P P E R ! 10-13-2008 03:21 PM

Parents Being Waaaay too cheap.
 
I'm an assistant coach for the local park district lessons for the 5-8 year old group. I teach the lefties; we have a lot and the main pro has no clue how to teach them. There's a really talented kid in my group, he has a nasty forehand and he has massive topspin.

But I noticed he's playing with jean shorts, a ratty old sleeveless that's got holes in it and old sneakers. He also has a Spongebob racket, which deeply concerns me. And this kid isn't coming from a poor family, his dad is a highly rated chef and his mom a banker. I think that if this kid gets some new threads and a good stick, he could be unstoppable in USTA tourneys. I don't want to sound like a jerk, but how should I tell his dad to buy the kid some new stuff?

MomentumGT 10-13-2008 03:34 PM

I've dealt with a similar situation except the kid I was teaching wasn't very exceptional, just determined and a hard work ethic, and it was more of keeping him out of trouble and not getting involve with gang life and drugs.

What I did was talk this kid up to his parents, saying he has a lot of potential that, with hard work and "support" from his parents can go far in the sport. As I was saying this I would interject every now and then about getting him better equipment to further "enhance" his progression as a "positive" selling point. :). Remember, be subtle about it but make sure you get it in the back of their head and pretty soon you'll see new sticks and shoes in his hands.

My kid's parents were really poor so they could only afford him discounted tennis shoes. I was just happy they were "tennis" shoes! I just lent him one of my racquets, and eventually when he made 1st Team All League I rewarded him with the racquet and a 2nd identical one for a back up.

-Jon

Daniel68 10-13-2008 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomentumGT (Post 2781863)
I've dealt with a similar situation except the kid I was teaching wasn't very exceptional, just determined and a hard work ethic, and it was more of keeping him out of trouble and not getting involve with gang life and drugs.

What I did was talk this kid up to his parents, saying he has a lot of potential that, with hard work and "support" from his parents can go far in the sport. As I was saying this I would interject every now and then about getting him better equipment to further "enhance" his progression as a "positive" selling point. :). Remember, be subtle about it but make sure you get it in the back of their head and pretty soon you'll see new sticks and shoes in his hands.

My kid's parents were really poor so they could only afford him discounted tennis shoes. I was just happy they were "tennis" shoes! I just lent him one of my racquets, and eventually when he made 1st Team All League I rewarded him with the racquet and a 2nd identical one for a back up.

-Jon

Thats very nice of you Jon. Your a good guy

nCode747 10-13-2008 06:42 PM

just talk to his parents and tell them that he is a great player and should probably use a better racquet

xtremerunnerars 10-15-2008 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomentumGT (Post 2781863)
I've dealt with a similar situation except the kid I was teaching wasn't very exceptional, just determined and a hard work ethic, and it was more of keeping him out of trouble and not getting involve with gang life and drugs.

What I did was talk this kid up to his parents, saying he has a lot of potential that, with hard work and "support" from his parents can go far in the sport. As I was saying this I would interject every now and then about getting him better equipment to further "enhance" his progression as a "positive" selling point. :). Remember, be subtle about it but make sure you get it in the back of their head and pretty soon you'll see new sticks and shoes in his hands.

My kid's parents were really poor so they could only afford him discounted tennis shoes. I was just happy they were "tennis" shoes! I just lent him one of my racquets, and eventually when he made 1st Team All League I rewarded him with the racquet and a 2nd identical one for a back up.

-Jon

Great story Jon. Tennis needs more pros like you.

Gus 10-16-2008 06:19 AM

Ugh! These are 5-8 year olds. Maybe he likes SpongeBob. Besides, he's apparently hitting "massive topspin" with it. It's supposed to be FUN, coach!

S H O W S T O P P E R ! 10-16-2008 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gus (Post 2789281)
Ugh! These are 5-8 year olds. Maybe he likes SpongeBob. Besides, he's apparently hitting "massive topspin" with it. It's supposed to be FUN, coach!

He loves tennis and he's ready for the next level. Most kids were placed in tennis because their parents wanted them to stay in shape for winter sports. This kid basically never talks to his parents and when I'm on my bus going home, I see the kid playing against his garage door almost everyday. He doesn't deserve rec sticks. He doesn't deserve jean shorts and ratty old crews. It'll be more fun when he destroys some kid on the righty team.

MomentumGT 10-16-2008 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtremerunnerars (Post 2788240)
Great story Jon. Tennis needs more pros like you.

Thanks! Its the reason I came back to tennis after a 6 year layoff. Thought I would never play again. Thanks again.

-Jon

ag200boy 10-16-2008 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomentumGT (Post 2781863)
I've dealt with a similar situation except the kid I was teaching wasn't very exceptional, just determined and a hard work ethic, and it was more of keeping him out of trouble and not getting involve with gang life and drugs.

What I did was talk this kid up to his parents, saying he has a lot of potential that, with hard work and "support" from his parents can go far in the sport. As I was saying this I would interject every now and then about getting him better equipment to further "enhance" his progression as a "positive" selling point. :). Remember, be subtle about it but make sure you get it in the back of their head and pretty soon you'll see new sticks and shoes in his hands.

My kid's parents were really poor so they could only afford him discounted tennis shoes. I was just happy they were "tennis" shoes! I just lent him one of my racquets, and eventually when he made 1st Team All League I rewarded him with the racquet and a 2nd identical one for a back up.

-Jon

good job man, more people need to be like you, willing to sacrifice their own belongings to make others lives better.

you are truly a great person

S H O W S T O P P E R ! 10-16-2008 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomentumGT (Post 2791215)
Thanks! Its the reason I came back to tennis after a 6 year layoff. Thought I would never play again. Thanks again.

-Jon

Yeah, I goota hand it to you too. I'm happy to say that he has received a junior kTour (from TW of course :D) and he's decked out in Nike. He's got better stuff than me now. :p Thanks for the help Jon, the kid's a lot happier now. And his serve is a mini beast. :D

little_e 10-17-2008 08:26 AM

Not to be a jerk but if the head pro doesn't know how to teach lefties then he/she sucks. There is no difference in they the mechanics of the strokes only that they are a mirror image of a righty, and really a righty team and a leftie team. Where the hell do you teach?

MomentumGT 10-17-2008 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S H O W S T O P P E R ! (Post 2791325)
Yeah, I goota hand it to you too. I'm happy to say that he has received a junior kTour (from TW of course :D) and he's decked out in Nike. He's got better stuff than me now. :p Thanks for the help Jon, the kid's a lot happier now. And his serve is a mini beast. :D

Good to hear you guys made some serious progress :). Keep it up you might have found the next greatest protege. I'm X my fingers. GL.

-Jon

Roger Federer 95 10-18-2008 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtremerunnerars (Post 2788240)
Great story Jon. Tennis needs more pros like you.

nice jon! we need people like you to help the tennis scene.

MomentumGT 10-19-2008 09:27 AM

Thanks again guys! I'm sure if all of you guys were in a position to help a kid out in what ever way you can you guys would do it. :)

-Jon

Federer#1 10-19-2008 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S H O W S T O P P E R ! (Post 2781829)
I'm an assistant coach for the local park district lessons for the 5-8 year old group. I teach the lefties; we have a lot and the main pro has no clue how to teach them. There's a really talented kid in my group, he has a nasty forehand and he has massive topspin.

But I noticed he's playing with jean shorts, a ratty old sleeveless that's got holes in it and old sneakers. He also has a Spongebob racket, which deeply concerns me. And this kid isn't coming from a poor family, his dad is a highly rated chef and his mom a banker. I think that if this kid gets some new threads and a good stick, he could be unstoppable in USTA tourneys. I don't want to sound like a jerk, but how should I tell his dad to buy the kid some new stuff?

May be a chef and a banker do not wish their kid become a tennis pro?
When his sneakers start to have holes, he will get a new one.
As for the racket, in due time.

game set match 46 TIMES!! 10-22-2008 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel68 (Post 2781983)
Thats very nice of you Jon. Your a good guy

try very good guy


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse