Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Travel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Best tennis camp for 4.0/4.5 25 year old that wants to go pro (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=230106)

lovethetriangle 11-06-2008 12:28 AM

Best tennis camp for 4.0/4.5 25 year old that wants to go pro

one month camp, apart from full immerssion to the game separately.

lovethetriangle 11-06-2008 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovethetriangle (Post 2843784)

And by pro i mean top player + davis cup in a thirdworld country not known for tennis (philippines). Not Fed/nadal pro since that is next to impossible, however I'd like you to correct me if I am wrong.

I do have the financial resources, fortunately.

Moz 11-06-2008 01:11 AM

Hi mate

You will need to provide more information. How long have you been playing? What's your competitive background? Are you restricted by geography?

Also the phrase "apart from full immerssion to the game separately" doesn't really make sense...

zidane339 11-06-2008 03:44 AM

If you want to go pro, shouldn't you look for a full time coach not camp?

goober 11-06-2008 07:03 AM

If you truly have the money, go to one of the big Florida academies like Bollettieri or Saddlebrook. Get private coaching and the whole 9 yards. Forget the one month plan. You have to go for it full time. If you are not making progress after a year or two and beating the academy kids in practice matches, you may want to rethink you pro aspirations. The Phillipines Davis Cup team still has players that are like top 400. From 4.0/4.5 to 7.0 is a huge jump that few can make.

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER 11-06-2008 09:15 AM

Actually based on your outline, there is a little place in N.Y.C. called Bellvue.

topsltennis 11-06-2008 10:46 AM

Don't see it happening, but good luck.

Japanese Maple 11-06-2008 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER (Post 2844595)
Actually based on your outline, there is a little place in N.Y.C. called Bellvue.

Its been awhile since I have had such a good laugh-now that is funny!

lovethetriangle 11-06-2008 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moz (Post 2843814)
Hi mate

You will need to provide more information. How long have you been playing? What's your competitive background? Are you restricted by geography?

Also the phrase "apart from full immerssion to the game separately" doesn't really make sense...

I've been playing since I was 5, 5'11 165lbs left handed, always had talent beat a lot of good players, but never any direction. Stopped to party and drink and do stupid things from 19 to 22, 2-3 times a week from 22 to 24, now fully immersed in tennis (sports specific plyometrics/core training/strength/flexibility/balance training 3x a week besides tennis).

I also run a full time business thus I can't really leave the country for more than a month. I'm thinking Saddlebrooke for a month for the ff:

-build confidence, since i'll be getting instruction from the worlds best.
-gain direction, a month spent there will be enough for them to give me a guide on how to go about my goals when i get back.
-play with MUCH better players
-clear out any kinks in my game

To give you an idea of the Philippine level, I played a dude ranked 19 and lost 6-1 6-3. He can go shot for shot with the top 5 and I can go shot for shot with him when we rally at full strength (I just can't put it together in sets serve/return still a major prob).

Nothing is impossible, and I love the process of training so why not make the attempt.

I also will hire a level 2 itf coach very soon.

Do you have any input or better ideas? If so, please share. Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers guys.

mogo 11-06-2008 08:59 PM

Sounds like an interesting goal

email me at egonzalezii@hotmail.com Might have some info for you.

topsltennis 11-07-2008 05:35 AM

Dude. I play around your level as well. Though I'm quite a bit older- I would never fathom the idea of trying/thinking I could play at the level you are talking about. The difference between a 4.5 and even a 5.5 is tremendous and as hard as I've tried, I could never even get to that level- much less 6.5 or 7.0. I think it's awesome that you have the desire and resources to try- there's certainly no harm in that- but truth be told, if you were going to get anywhere near that level you would already be there. But hey, for your sake I hope you prove me wrong. Have a great time with it.

bet 11-10-2008 03:06 AM

So the top 5 Phillipino players are competitive with a 4.0? Doubt it's true but if it's true, it only goes to show that the country shouldn't be in Davis cup at all. Nor could any of them be remotely competitive at even the satellite level.

As for the OP, if you played tennis from age 5-19 and arrived at 4.0 or even 4.5, give up any hope of competing in any at the pro level unless you simply want to be a joke.

As for "instruction from the world's best". You don't need it...seriously! Why not spend some time playing with these top players from your country until you are beating them and THEN go get instruction from "the best". You'll benefit a lot more from it then actually.

It's a bit ridiculous to go to "the best" at a world-class academy and ask them how to manage your pro career when they're busy trying to get your backhand fundamentals ironed out and you haven't played competitively at any level at all!

EDIT: oh come on. You're starting threads about basic tennis instruction, asking for help from people who have no clue and wondering where the ideal contact point for a forehand is...."waist, shoulder, in front of waist?"

Look, I strongly suggest you establish realistic goals in a step-by-step process. Like for example, get a 4.5 ranking in your country. This is how you will gain experience and really see what needs to be done and what your next goals should be. It will help you ask the right questions.

mikeler 11-10-2008 05:14 AM

Had you won some major junior tournaments like the Easter Bowl, then I think you would have a legitimate shot at getting to the upper echelon. Nothing in your resume suggests you have gotten anywhere close to this level. It's good that you have the money to do this, but I would not bet your financial future on it.

dr325i 11-10-2008 05:36 AM

please define "PRO"...

If you mean like coach type of Pro, then yes, very doable.
If you mean like playing challengers, ATP tournaments and so on in the future...I believe you're about 10 years too late (not saying that it is not doable though)...

10sbune 11-11-2008 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER (Post 2844595)

ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!!

bad_call 11-12-2008 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topsltennis (Post 2846389)
Dude. I play around your level as well. Though I'm quite a bit older- I would never fathom the idea of trying/thinking I could play at the level you are talking about. The difference between a 4.5 and even a 5.5 is tremendous and as hard as I've tried, I could never even get to that level- much less 6.5 or 7.0. I think it's awesome that you have the desire and resources to try- there's certainly no harm in that- but truth be told, if you were going to get anywhere near that level you would already be there. But hey, for your sake I hope you prove me wrong. Have a great time with it.

yeah...just go to Saddlebrook and maybe you'll get a chance to hit with some top flight players. btw - sounds like that dude u play with has a few more "intangible" facets in his game. to get those takes a bit more experience...like better shot selection.

lovethetriangle 11-16-2008 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moz (Post 2843814)
Hi mate

Hi Moz, i'm 25, been playing since I was 5, not serious for the most part, focused a little bit in highschool where I became varsity captain and nationally ranked, then captain of a **** college, then all down hill.

Full immersion meaning my life dedicated to it. I think i'm a 4.5-5 now that I've been on this site more and understand the ratings better, but it's still a very hazy system.

Moz 11-17-2008 02:32 AM

Hi mate

My first suggestion would be to firmly establish where your game is at the moment. Use this coach and take a full stroke inventory - then play some tournaments and get a very accurate idea of where you stand. Only from that point can you make a solid plan to address what parts of your game to prioritise. Only with that plan can you choose the right camp. These camps don't seem to be the best places to get a comprehensive technical overhaul - they are much more useful if you are already fundamentally solid.

Honestly, you stand no chance of making it as a playing pro with your background and age. Dreams are great but you are really up against it. However, that doesn't mean you shouldn't try - as long as you're not throwing away a future....

Good luck!

goober 11-17-2008 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovethetriangle (Post 2845621)

I also run a full time business thus I can't really leave the country for more than a month. I'm thinking Saddlebrooke for a month for the ff:

To give you an idea of the Philippine level, I played a dude ranked 19 and lost 6-1 6-3. He can go shot for shot with the top 5 and I can go shot for shot with him when we rally at full strength (I just can't put it together in sets serve/return still a major prob).

If you are running a business full time, I don't see how you can train to be pro. That alone makes me think it is unrealistic.

While maybe there is a big drop off in level of talent in the Philippines say at #19, the Davis Cup players are definitely 7.0 and 6.5. Cecil Mammit and Eric Taino are actually PhilAms that have trained in America their whole lives and both have been in the top 200 players.

So instead why don't your train to be the best you can be. Making the Davis Cup team even in the Philippines I think is out of reach.

jrod 11-17-2008 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovethetriangle (Post 2843784)

Reality check time...seek professional advice from a qualified professional to assess your chances of ever achieving this goal. To characterize your chances as a long-shot is likely a gross exaggeration of the truth...