Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   squeaking shoes on purpose (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=231185)

tennisdad65 11-13-2008 07:42 AM

squeaking shoes on purpose

I was watching a singles match and one of the guys had very squeaky shoes. Also, it definitely looked like he was purposely taking small dragging steps while getting back to the center after a shot. This resulted in lots of annoying noises while his opponent was getting ready to hit.

It seemed very obvious to me that he was trying to distract his opponent. However, it did not seem to phase his opponent at all. :)

What is the rule on this? is this allowed?

Nellie 11-13-2008 08:39 AM

I had a match a few weeks ago where the opposing player would stomp his feet has as I was starting my swing. I was irate and should have called a hinderence on him because he was obviously trying to creat a distraction. So bush league.

It does not sound like your player in question was doing anything improper because their motion was natural to the game.

eeytennis 11-13-2008 08:50 AM

I have noticed that as well. I think it's legal though.

travelerb 11-13-2008 09:39 AM

If I were playing someone like this, my thought would be go ahead and shuffle your feet around during a match and avoid proper footwork. Might just catch him squeaking left when I hit it right.

tennismike33 11-13-2008 10:27 AM

The squeaky wheel gets the grease again. I squeak too, I come to net and occasionally when I split step I hear my sneakers squeak, it isn't on purpose but it happens.

weaver 11-13-2008 10:37 AM

my shoes are always squeaking, and right before the person hits because i split step... and i don't do it on purpose...

burosky 11-13-2008 12:55 PM

If you are referring to the rule pertaining to "hindrance", keep in mind that if the hindrance is coming from your opponent you have to make sure there is deliberate intent.

A lot of players have nuances that can be construed as hindrance. Some are done deliberately but some are just that - a nuance.

Um...? 11-13-2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burosky (Post 2862884)
If you are referring to the rule pertaining to "hindrance", keep in mind that if the hindrance is coming from your opponent you have to make sure there is deliberate intent.

A lot of players have nuances that can be construed as hindrance. Some are done deliberately but some are just that - a nuance.

Great explanation. Foot squeaks in general will always be a tough one to call as deliberate. Mostly because foot movement prior to, during, and after a shot is necessary.

Unless your opponent is acting like he's trying to stomp a divit, or moonwalking across the service box, it's always going to be a very difficult call to make.

Now I have an older friend that I play with that likes to squeak and tap his racquet on the ground right as I'm about to serve. It's actually good practice for me to block it out and focus on my serve, but recently he's backed off doing it as he was called out in one of his club ladder matches for hindrance. :mrgreen:

Urban_Azin 11-13-2008 01:59 PM

I hate sqweeky shoes!!! those ghetto a** B****es needs new shoes!!!
and its annoying watchin ppl play with sqweeky shoes like IVONAVIC in the AO (DISTRACTING):evil:

GeoffB 11-13-2008 03:35 PM

Quote:

Interesting point. Do you know who determines whether there was deliberate intent?

JavierLW 11-13-2008 06:36 PM

Quote:

Actually the interesting part of the hindrance rule is that it defines "intent" as anything that you do that you have control over, not necessarily just anything you do to purposely distract your opponent.

An example of this would be a opponent of mine who has a bad habit of shouting out things like "OH NO!!!" when he feels he's hit either a easy put away or sometimes when he hits it out, only to watch it fall in.

Even though he didnt mean to distract me that is clear hindrance because he supposably should have enough self control to keep that from happening.

Getting stung by a bee or reacting to something outside of your control is something that isnt hindrance. They really should of used the word "voluntary" rather than "intent" because that's clearly what they were going for.

In the OP's situation it's hard. If the person was doing something to make his shoes squeek on purpose then it could be hindrance, but shoes squeeking probably isnt all that uncommon so it's hard call to make.

If they were slapping their thigh or stomping their feet though even if it's just a habit, I think it's hindrance if it distracts the other player. (because it's unnecessary and within their control)

burosky 11-14-2008 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JavierLW (Post 2863651)
Actually the interesting part of the hindrance rule is that it defines "intent" as anything that you do that you have control over, not necessarily just anything you do to purposely distract your opponent.

An example of this would be a opponent of mine who has a bad habit of shouting out things like "OH NO!!!" when he feels he's hit either a easy put away or sometimes when he hits it out, only to watch it fall in.

Even though he didnt mean to distract me that is clear hindrance because he supposably should have enough self control to keep that from happening.

Getting stung by a bee or reacting to something outside of your control is something that isnt hindrance. They really should of used the word "voluntary" rather than "intent" because that's clearly what they were going for.

In the OP's situation it's hard. If the person was doing something to make his shoes squeek on purpose then it could be hindrance, but shoes squeeking probably isnt all that uncommon so it's hard call to make.

If they were slapping their thigh or stomping their feet though even if it's just a habit, I think it's hindrance if it distracts the other player. (because it's unnecessary and within their control)

You are right. Intent alone is not enough. That is why I stated "deliberate" intent. Who determines it? In an unofficiated match if it was your opponent doing it, it would be you. However, just as Javier said, it would be quite difficult to prove deliberate intent. If there is a disagreement, that is when you call for a lines person. If it was an officiated match, either you or the official can determine it. If the official doesn't call it, you can't just call hindrance on your opponent though. You still need to go through the official then the official will make a decision. Usually though, if the official doesn't call it, most likely it isn't a hindrance.

J011yroger 11-14-2008 07:12 AM

I have very busy footwork, and my first day or two with new shoes, especially indoors, my shoes squeak like hell. I feel bad about it, but it goes away after the first hit or two after I knock the newness off the sole of the shoe.

J

duketennisgal 11-14-2008 07:15 AM

Squeaking shoes is pretty normal I would think. My shoes always squeak when I'm making small steps and when I'm coming forward into the net, getting ready for my split step. I think that's something that the opposing player should be able to easily block out, if not they have serious concentration problems.

simi 11-14-2008 08:15 AM

^^^^^

Same here. I've noticed that my shoes squeak when I take very small steps. Don't do it intentionally, and suspect it bothers me more than my opponent. I try to not squeak, but can't seem to stop doing it.

duketennisgal 11-14-2008 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simi (Post 2865645)
^^^^^

Same here. I've noticed that my shoes squeak when I take very small steps. Don't do it intentionally, and suspect it bothers me more than my opponent. I try to not squeak, but can't seem to stop doing it.

I wouldn't bother trying to stop, it's natural.

It amazes me some of the things that people will complain about. I've had people complain that somebody was standing at the gate so they couldn't play a point, somebody bouncing a basketball on the basketball courts that are across from the tennis courts bothered one opponent.

If people can't focus on their own game without blocking out distractions that's their own problem and they should probably try to work on their focus and concentration a bit more.

simi 11-14-2008 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duketennisgal (Post 2865674)
I wouldn't bother trying to stop, it's natural...

I'm not, in fact when I squeak, it is confirmation that I'm not getting 'lazy feet'.

woodrow1029 11-14-2008 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisdad65 (Post 2862171)
I was watching a singles match and one of the guys had very squeaky shoes. Also, it definitely looked like he was purposely taking small dragging steps while getting back to the center after a shot. This resulted in lots of annoying noises while his opponent was getting ready to hit.

It seemed very obvious to me that he was trying to distract his opponent. However, it did not seem to phase his opponent at all. :)

The official won't do anything until the other player says something, especially in an unofficiated match with a roving official.

If the other player complains, the official will make a decision on whether or not it is actually loud enough to be a hindrance or not. If it is, they will say something to the player. If it continues, the next time would be a let and you would replay the point. Every time after that it would be considered deliberate and it would be a hindrance loss of point.

Gemini 11-14-2008 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisdad65 (Post 2862171)

I would say that in this case it's allowed as it's pretty difficult to call hindrance from the basics of what you've described. The squeaking is a result of excessive force and friction as you push off and then come to an abrupt stop. Shuffling back to the center of the court can cause this.

Something that would be an obvious hindrance is the squeaking of your shoes as you wait to return serve. I remember Capriati doing that very thing during a US Open match and no one saying anything about it.

rasajadad 11-14-2008 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eeytennis (Post 2862338)
I have noticed that as well. I think it's legal though.

I can tell you for a fact that it is a code violation. I guy in my league a couple of years ago used to do it, so I had to look it up.