Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Agassi grates on my nerves (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=2333)

14slams 03-31-2004 09:11 AM

Agassi grates on my nerves

How many times does he have to say "sort of" during an interview? You know it's sort of well you know it's kind of like you know sort of well. Is he trying act like a young person by doing this? The other one that bugs me is the constant "meat and potatoes" references.

chad shaver 03-31-2004 09:13 AM

You can always use the mute button....

chad shaver 03-31-2004 09:14 AM

Beyond that, any and all idiosyncrasies are magnified greatly on television. If someone has a nervous habit, you may not notice until he/she is on TV.

david aames 03-31-2004 09:41 AM

sound pretty sharp to me... Today in the New York Times...

--
Nearing his 34th birthday, Agassi has not won a title since last April, and he has scaled back his schedule to conserve his energy. He has discussed skipping most of the clay court season before the French Open begins on May 24, and there is constant speculation about when he might stop playing altogether.

That moment may not be soon. Agassi bristled when he was asked if losses like Tuesday's changed his thinking about his future.

"No," he replied. "Those questions do, though."

@wright 03-31-2004 09:51 AM

Guess what, most of us have things that we say too often in our speech patterns. Some of us use "like", some "uh", and I bet you have one or more of these habits in your speech too.

python 03-31-2004 10:39 AM

Give Agassi a break. He's one of the best of all time and we'll find ourselves missing him when he retires. I never really liked Ivan Lendl as a person when he was competing, and now I'm paying good money to buy up his old matches.

strife726 03-31-2004 10:49 AM

"14slams" is yet another screen name created by this joker to spam the boards even more...His screen names Rios and hahaha were banned, and I guess 10s wasn't working for him anymore. You can create all the user names you want, its not hard to find the original source.

@wright 03-31-2004 11:01 AM

Strife, are you looking at IP addresses?

chad shaver 03-31-2004 11:09 AM

No. You just kinda get a sense for the things that people say. I have a theory that it may be another, older poster who has chosen--for whatever reason--to come back to haunt us.

@wright 03-31-2004 11:19 AM

14slams reminds me of the person strife is talking about, however you could be correct also, Chad.

chad shaver 03-31-2004 11:22 AM

Anyone here ever take a public speaking course? One of our assignments was to always count the number of times a person said things like "um" and "you know", as well as play with watches and whatnot.

I was notorious for playing with my watch and/or bracelet. I always tell my students to please tell me if I pick up one of those distracting idiosyncrasies.

Nastase1 03-31-2004 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strife726
"14slams" is yet another screen name created by this joker to spam the boards even more...His screen names Rios and hahaha were banned, and I guess 10s wasn't working for him anymore. You can create all the user names you want, its not hard to find the original source.

You're an idiot. Just another simpleton who is obviously too inept to acquire knowledge about surfing the web anonymously.

dander 03-31-2004 12:18 PM

go to asapsports.com and read agassi's interviews from every match of every big tournament of the past 12 years. after easy matches his interviews are thoughtful, insightful, and articulate on the big picture of tennis. after tough matches, win or lose, he's so open and raw with his emotions
he's as giving of himself as any athlete

chad shaver 03-31-2004 01:04 PM

"You're an idiot. Just another simpleton who is obviously too inept to acquire knowledge about surfing the web anonymously."

Funny how the first post this person makes is a personal attack on someone here. Someone with an axe to grind, perhaps?

Maybe just a first class jerk.

Maybe both.

@wright 03-31-2004 01:47 PM

What a coincidence!

david aames 03-31-2004 01:52 PM

What do you guys mean?

Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey.

@wright 03-31-2004 02:11 PM

I'm telling on you!

david aames 03-31-2004 02:13 PM

Is there echo here on something?

Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey.

Phil 03-31-2004 04:17 PM

Quote:

I was notorious for playing with my watch and/or bracelet. I always tell my students to please tell me if I pick up one of those distracting idiosyncrasies.
You're a brave soul, Chad.

Kobble 03-31-2004 05:26 PM

Chad, it is funny that you bring up the speech courses. I remember I had this real hard *** that would ridicule even good speeches. The first time I went up in front of the class I had rested my hands on the podium for 3/4 of the speech. He said I was holding onto it like a crutch, and he told me he was waiting for me to fall over. I still laugh at it to this day. Fortunately, I never had a problem with idiosyncrasies. He did mark me off one time for having my hair cut the day before the speech. He claimed nothing was wrong with my hair, but the sudden change distracted him. No one in my class ever played with their watch, but I do remember a guy who had a distinct foot pattern. It was like he was dancing or something. i wonder how many other stories people have. We should get a topic started in the rant column.