Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   What are some ways of making sure you do not fall sick? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=233623)

Messarger 11-30-2008 11:55 PM

What are some ways of making sure you do not fall sick?

Topic^^. I'm talking about common sickness like flu, fever, cold etc.

I know that drinking water helps, but surely there are more ways than one no?

0range 12-01-2008 12:09 AM

One golden rule: Don't touch any part of your face with your hands unless you've just thoroughly wash your hands with soap.

I used to get sick a lot as a child... poor immunity was blamed. It turns out that I just have this bad habit of constantly touching parts of my face with my hand (germs and virus gets into the body this way). After I got rid of this habit I hardly get sick anymore.

And don't get sneezed on, obviously.

SystemicAnomaly 12-01-2008 04:12 AM

Be sure to get plenty of sleep at night. Shortchanging yourself of sleep will put your immune system at risk. Drink OJ and eat other good sources of vitamin C (with bioflavanoids). If you decide to supplement with C, opt for a product that includes bioflavanoids. Ascorbyl palmitate, a fat soluble version of vit C, may or may not provide additional benefit.

If I suspect that I've been exposed to the common cold, try Zicam's (zinc gel) formulation for colds. I have found this to be highly effective for minimizing the severity & duration of a cold. However, it is less effective for the flu. Don't really know if Zicam's flu products are effective -- never tried them. Check out the following for more info on foods & supps:

5 Ways to Protect Yourself from the Flu
lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/vitaminC/vitCform.html
5 Natural Remedies & Preventions

Topaz 12-01-2008 04:33 AM

^^^Boy, I could have used this info a few days ago! ;)

*sneeze*

UGH!

Rickson 12-01-2008 05:01 AM

I caught a bad cold recently by some idiot shaking my hand. I should have known better when I saw his runny nose earlier. Anyway, I didn't carry my usual Purell bottle with me and I paid dearly. Always sanitize or wash your hands after shaking hands, touching objects, before you eat, etc..

goober 12-01-2008 06:02 AM

Ever see The Boy in the Plastic Bubble:)

as everybody else has been saying;

Wash your hands alot

Wipe down your work area with sanitizer if it is used by other people- keyboards, telephone, mouse, ect.

Plenty of sleep and minimize stress to keep your immune system optimal.

mikeler 12-01-2008 06:30 AM

Also keep in mind that even if you are not shaking that sick person's hand, he/she is touching door knobs around you. I'm also mindful of washing my hands after handling money.

jmverdugo 12-01-2008 07:17 AM

I have a simple rule. Eat well. Every time I have a busy week and skip some meals I and up catching a flu or a virus. If you are weak you will likely get sick. I can tell you that, for me, me rule works.

spiritdragon 12-01-2008 07:37 AM

wash your hands, exercise regularly, and eat healthy food.

WildVolley 12-01-2008 05:11 PM

Wash your hands, eat a complete diet, get plenty of sleep, and make sure to supplement Vitamin D if you live in northern climes (basically any latitude north of Los Angeles).

purple-n-gold 12-01-2008 05:33 PM

^^^All good advice,also a MVIT and CoQ10 are good supplements.^^

davidahenry 12-01-2008 06:52 PM

Barely grass powder mixed with water - at least 36 ounces a day. It is alkaline and contains a ton of vitamins and minerals. Plus it contains chlorophyll - which is almost molecularly identical to blood hemoglobin - and is well-known for boosting the immune system.

As long as the powder to water ratio is not too heavy on the powder side, it doesn't have much of a taste. The little flavor it has is kind of good. In fact, my wife won't drink any water without bg powder.

Take care.

DH

lawlitssoo1n 12-01-2008 08:10 PM

i drink one of those NAKED juices that come in pints and always sleep with a shirt on and dry my hair before i sleep. i haven't been sick since January!

dennis10is 12-02-2008 07:12 PM

You can not get sick if you are dead.

Seriously, once I stopped licking public door handles, I've been less sick.

I may stop licking people too.

Also, don't kiss your dog in the mouth. And if you do, no frenching your pets.

Rickson 12-02-2008 07:21 PM

Wet hair does not give you a cold. You can only catch a cold from a virus.

WildVolley 12-02-2008 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickson (Post 2907009)
Wet hair does not give you a cold. You can only catch a cold from a virus.

Actually, there's some evidence that getting cold might help you catch a cold, given that the virus is ubiquitous in many environments. I read a study in which test subjects were exposed to a cold virus. Some of the students put their feet in ice water until their body temperatures dropped slightly. The group that had the feet in ice water contracted more active infections than the group that didn't have a drop in body temperature. It's only a single study, but it is something to consider.

lawlitssoo1n 12-02-2008 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildVolley (Post 2907014)
Actually, there's some evidence that getting cold might help you catch a cold, given that the virus is ubiquitous in many environments. I read a study in which test subjects were exposed to a cold virus. Some of the students put their feet in ice water until their body temperatures dropped slightly. The group that had the feet in ice water contracted more active infections than the group that didn't have a drop in body temperature. It's only a single study, but it is something to consider.

take dat rickson!

mikeler 12-03-2008 05:30 AM

My older brother is a pediatrician and I posed the question of why colds only show up when the weather gets cold. He said it is because everyone spends more time indoors spreading germs to each other. In the summer time, more people are outside and in less contact with each other.

Rickson 12-03-2008 03:45 PM

Take that, lawless!

cold fact

SystemicAnomaly 12-03-2008 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildVolley (Post 2907014)

Could you provide any credible evidence to support this? I've been under the impression that wet hair causing flu/colds is an old wive's tale. Ditto for cold weather causing increasing the likelihood of coming down with a cold or the flu. Another variation that I've heard is that going to bed with wet hair causes headaches. I've heard this variation quite a lot from Asian friends. Can anyone provide evidence to support this claim?