Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Penn ATP Tour Balls ARE CRAP!!!!! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=234329)

split-step 12-06-2008 06:15 AM

Penn ATP Tour Balls ARE CRAP!!!!!

I have had it with these balls. These are the Penn atp balls with 4 in a can.
These were my balls of choice when the container looked like this:

However, for some months now, the packaging has changed. THe lid is now golden and the quality of the balls have gone down the toilet.

First of all, in every can there is at least one dud. WHAT AM I BUYING A 4 CAN PACK FOR IF I CAN ONLY USE 3??????

Secondly these balls DON'T BOUNCE. I play on hardcourts for goodness sake. These balls make me feel like I am playing on slick grass.

THe balls were never like this until they changed it.
THEY SUCK ***!!!

i suck at tennis 12-06-2008 06:28 AM

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! I also like(d) these. I haven't hit with them in awhile only b/c I haven't been to the store in my area that sells them but this is very disappointing news

supermario343 12-06-2008 11:16 AM

lol i never liked penn balls to begin with....i always use wilson or the slazenger wimbledon balls in the big purple can of 4

Tofi 12-06-2008 11:56 AM

does this mean the HEAD balls are the same aswell??

mikeler 12-06-2008 11:59 AM

Try the Wilson 4 packs, they are fine for hard courts.

Sleepstream 12-06-2008 12:02 PM

I've played with these balls recently, and they were fine.

game set match 46 TIMES!! 12-06-2008 12:36 PM

i agree! the ball feels dead right when there from the can! and they dont even have that air when you open them! dont buy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ls206 12-06-2008 12:51 PM

Penn are such low quality... training/coaching balls have better bounce and play life.
I too will add my warning to stay away from Penn.

mikeler 12-06-2008 01:20 PM

My favorite ball hard court or clay is Prince. The clay court version I can only buy online.

Lendl 12-07-2008 10:15 AM

I played a travel match yesterday and used those balls. Agree, they were not good. I use these exclusively on my every day matches and recommend them highly:

mtommer 12-07-2008 11:03 AM

I've gone through a case of the Penn ATP with the gold lid like the picture above and I never had any problems with them whatsoever. They do feel like they bounce low after first coming out of the can but within five decently hard hits they liven right up.

J011yroger 12-07-2008 11:30 AM

I used to use Penn Championship, extra duties, but hitting with my bud Dennis they go dead 2 cans in 45 mins and they are shot.

So I switched to the ATPs like Lendl posted the pic of, and they are a bit better.

I don't like the Dunlop balls, so I use only the Penn ATP or the Wilson US Open.

Mostly the ATPs.

J

mikeler 12-07-2008 12:28 PM

Penn ATPs are good hard court balls. I don't like the Wilson US Opens because they go dead after a few games and fuzz up quite a bit.

Hokiez 12-07-2008 03:25 PM

Dunlop Grand Prix. Best ball available IMO. I've used both the har-tru and hard court version and loved them both.

vincent_tennis 12-08-2008 09:13 AM

Club used aussie oepn ones and decided to change (the Penn ones were cheap (i wonder why :rollseyes:))
Penn Balls DONT BOUNCE AT ALLL =="
only good thing about that is when u have a Topspin freak, his usually high bouncing balls become floaters :D

mikeler 12-08-2008 09:38 AM

I played a tournament with Aussie Open balls. Maybe they got a bad batch, but those were the flattest balls I've ever played with. My opponent and I both had kick serves but abandoned them in the warm up when we saw what a sitter the serve was with those balls.

tenis 12-08-2008 03:29 PM

The Penns were very good years ago, before I think Head bought them and than the quality sinks.

equinox 01-05-2010 04:17 AM

Not to sure about the dunlops quality. I opened a can of dunlop "club all court" this week and the ball was moving like crazy in the slight wind. The balls seemed to be underweighted compared to slazengers hard courts.

I will not play with the DUNLOP "CLUB ALL COURT" balls again.

10ACE 01-05-2010 04:36 AM

Hmm I like Penn ATP never had a problem

I use Penn Balls both regular and Extra duty because I can get a box of 16 cans for $29

Dunlops I thought had a mistigue to them but they hit heavy and they fell out of favor with me.

Wilson are fine to hit with, someone mention they fuzz up pretty good, and that is very true.

Prince balls, now that is something I have never hit with, I will pick up a can.

Slaz balls, are fantastic, I also like the Roland Garros.

adista4 01-05-2010 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by split-step (Post 2914010)
I have had it with these balls. These are the Penn atp balls with 4 in a can.
These were my balls of choice when the container looked like this:

However, for some months now, the packaging has changed. THe lid is now golden and the quality of the balls have gone down the toilet.

First of all, in every can there is at least one dud. WHAT AM I BUYING A 4 CAN PACK FOR IF I CAN ONLY USE 3??????

Secondly these balls DON'T BOUNCE. I play on hardcourts for goodness sake. These balls make me feel like I am playing on slick grass.

THe balls were never like this until they changed it.
THEY SUCK ***!!!

same thing hapened to the HEAD ATP Balls...they changed the package...and they break in the second hitting session...all of them:)))