Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Training (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=234996)

Alessandro 12-11-2008 11:44 AM

Training

How many hours a day DI DII and DIII players generally train on the court?

And in gym or on the track ???

ClarkC 12-11-2008 02:26 PM

I believe the NCAA limit is 20 hours per week. Not sure how match time figures into the total during the season.

BigBUBBA 12-11-2008 03:34 PM

You would never survive college tennis if you didn't do conditioning on your own also. Some teams are very lax, others force you very hard. D3 obviously has the lowest training expectations, and D2 is lower, D1 is pretty high, like an academy even at some schools.

~Bubbs

jaggy 12-12-2008 06:29 AM

There is also volunteer work that is on top of the 20 hours, coaches cannot be present during this but often team captains run them

Pusher 12-12-2008 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alessandro (Post 2924926)
How many hours a day DI DII and DIII players generally train on the court?

And in gym or on the track ???

Count on exceeding the NCAA limit of 20 hours/week. Most/some coaches require 3-5 hours/day, 6 days a week. There is no NCAA limit on "unsupervised" practice.

Add to that running 3 days a week both distance and sprints-mostly quarters.

Then add weight lifting 5 days a week.

This may not be the norm at all or even the majority of colleges but it is at my son's college( D-1).

Hope that helps.

Alessandro 12-13-2008 08:50 AM

Thank you all very much for the answers...I'm planning to play in a D2 college and I just wanted to know how it works about training&co :)

cncretecwbo 12-30-2008 07:10 PM

d3 is mostly up to how hard you want to work on your own

LeeD 12-31-2008 08:30 AM

Really it depends how good you want to play.
If you have natural correct strokes, happen to be 6'6" and quicker than LebronJames, you can skate along with 15 hours a week practice, then lose to someone who's just plain tougher, quicker, smarter, and can outrun you.
However, if you really want it, and you have the basic natural physical skills, you need to be the fastest you can be, the strongest for playing tennis (NOT heavy weights), have the most endurance to play 3 hour straight at 5.5 level and not tire out, can handle 120 mph balls hit right into your forehand hip, can dig out shoelace high balls and place them in the corners deep and low, hit 70 mph backhand overheads, and place EVERY serve to the forehand, into the body, or to the backhand (first don't need to all go in, just 60%), then you do what it takes to get there. Whatever it takes.

tennismom42 12-31-2008 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alessandro (Post 2928546)
Thank you all very much for the answers...I'm planning to play in a D2 college and I just wanted to know how it works about training&co :)

Why are you planning on playing D2?

Is it because people are telling you it's less practice or because the school you like happens to be a D2?

I am just a little nervous about your assumptions of what D2 schools are.

guido88 01-10-2009 11:23 PM

I think that its not only how hard you want to work on your own, but also what level your team is. I know players on the stanford womens team and they practice for 2 - 3 hrs/day including conditioning on some days, and then on others only practice for an hour. I also know that some division 3 teams, like Emory's mens team, practice 2.5 hrs on court and then .5 doing off court stuff. It really depends.

JLyon 01-11-2009 10:44 AM

Yes NCAA only allows 20 hrs of Practice/Training per week and no more than 6 days straight, but there should be plenty of individual practice in order to maintain status on team.

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER 01-12-2009 06:54 AM

Thats the training side-
Then there is travel, and the job you were set up with by the athletic department to help carry your costs.

I spent the holidays with a top football receiver and a (headed for olympics) University swimmer.
In talking with them, they re-enforced the fact that a D1 college athlete BELONGS to the University. You have no freinds outside the team- Social life, ah... no not really.. You are constantly dodging drinking and other troubles, manditory training table diets, memorizing play books.
Then there is school and grades, for those wanting to go on in school, those don't take a back seat just because you are playing for the school.