Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   HELP! Question about WALK-ON Recruits~ (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=237283)

CityHeightsTennis 12-30-2008 08:14 PM

HELP! Question about WALK-ON Recruits~

I really want to play college tennis, but I hear this WALK-ON thing. I heard it's when you are not in the official roster, but you are able to practice or try out for the team. And you can't follow the team's matches and stuff like that.

I understand this part, but what I was wondering is, will the WALK-ON Athlete get into the college with tennis (like the way a RECRUITED Athlete would get into a college w/ tennis)?

Or would the WALK-ON Athlete have to get into the college with regular application, and after he/she is accepted, he can try out or be a WALK-ON for the team?

Sorry I am not very informed...any help would be really appreciated!!!
Thanks guys!!! :)

eeytennis 12-31-2008 05:06 AM

A walk-on can play on the team and go to matches. However this isn't always the case because usually the scholarship players start in the line-up and walk ons usually get to just practice with the team. A friend of mine joined a D1 tennis team as a walk-on and actually ended up trying out and was placed low in the starting line-up. She didn't get a scholarship though...which she should have, but coaches won't guarantee you a scholarship as a walk-on...it's not fair if you play in the starting line-up, but some coaches are stingy.

Your best bet would be getting into a school where a scholarship or spot on the team is offered and basically guaranteed. Trying out for a D1 team is very difficult at a number of schools and many have failed at doing so. However, it's possible, and if you have your heart set on one school and you haven't been offered a scholarship, walking onto the team is your only option if you want to play tennis there.

Walk-on athletes have to get in the school like anyone else. The coach could potentially give a good word for you but that's not likely especially if he hasn't offered you a scholarship. It's possible though, especially since coaches are limited to a certain number of scholarship players. Again, contact the coaches at the school you are interested in. They will be able to help you a lot with these issues.

Gemini 12-31-2008 06:48 AM

In sports, "walk-on" refers to someone that was not recruited by a coach and went through try-outs to gain a spot on the team. I don't know of a situation when a walk-on is not on the official team roster. You are a full-fledged member of the team but you're pretty low in the line-up. Also, you generally are not a scholarship player.

So..the short answer is a walk-on is a "regular student" who tries out for the team and makes it. So get into school just like any other student and then go try out for the team.

And just to clarify, recruited student-athletes still have to meet certain academic standards to get into school, but the standards are generally lower than the general student population.

CityHeightsTennis 12-31-2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eeytennis (Post 2963414)
A walk-on can play on the team and go to matches. However this isn't always the case because usually the scholarship players start in the line-up and walk ons usually get to just practice with the team. A friend of mine joined a D1 tennis team as a walk-on and actually ended up trying out and was placed low in the starting line-up. She didn't get a scholarship though...which she should have, but coaches won't guarantee you a scholarship as a walk-on...it's not fair if you play in the starting line-up, but some coaches are stingy.

Your best bet would be getting into a school where a scholarship or spot on the team is offered and basically guaranteed. Trying out for a D1 team is very difficult at a number of schools and many have failed at doing so. However, it's possible, and if you have your heart set on one school and you haven't been offered a scholarship, walking onto the team is your only option if you want to play tennis there.

Walk-on athletes have to get in the school like anyone else. The coach could potentially give a good word for you but that's not likely especially if he hasn't offered you a scholarship. It's possible though, especially since coaches are limited to a certain number of scholarship players. Again, contact the coaches at the school you are interested in. They will be able to help you a lot with these issues.

thank you! again it was a really helpful information...
now i really get what a WALK-ON is :)

CityHeightsTennis 12-31-2008 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gemini (Post 2963607)
In sports, "walk-on" refers to someone that was not recruited by a coach and went through try-outs to gain a spot on the team. I don't know of a situation when a walk-on is not on the official team roster. You are a full-fledged member of the team but you're pretty low in the line-up. Also, you generally are not a scholarship player.

So..the short answer is a walk-on is a "regular student" who tries out for the team and makes it. So get into school just like any other student and then go try out for the team.

And just to clarify, recruited student-athletes still have to meet certain academic standards to get into school, but the standards are generally lower than the general student population.

thank you...i really get what a WALK-ON is now...thanks!! :)

GPB 01-05-2009 06:49 AM

yeah, you (a regular student) "walk on" to the team and tell the coach "Hey, I think I'm good enough to play for you." Then you try out and see what happens.