Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   pros drinking coke? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=237652)

barradaza 01-02-2009 05:24 PM

pros drinking coke?

I've been watching some video from this last Australian Open and from 2005 and noticed that Hewitt drinks a can of coke during his matches. Do any other players do this, and how would coke help during a match?

Jackie T. Stephens 01-02-2009 05:26 PM

He does?? I need proof.

autumn_leaf 01-02-2009 05:26 PM

ummm it's caffiene and sugar...so...energy...

barradaza 01-02-2009 05:30 PM

yeah but any kind of soda should cause cramps or dehydrate. i think.:confused:

barradaza 01-02-2009 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackie T. Stephens (Post 2970087)
He does?? I need proof.

If you watch his match vs. Nadal during the AUS Open '05 or '07 AUS Open vs. Baghdatis. Those are two times that i noticed it, but i'd have to imagine there's others.

DJG 01-02-2009 10:17 PM

There has been other players as well drinking Coke. Who knows, maybe it is a PJ-ed can? ;)

TennisLover17 01-02-2009 10:19 PM

When I saw J-Mac playing dubs at the SAP Open couple years ago, he was drinking coke on changeovers. haha

baseline08thrasher 01-02-2009 11:48 PM

HAHAHAHHA
That would be so unprofessional.
I only drink gatorade and water on the court.

NEVER ANYTHING THAT WOULD DEHYDRATE YOUR SYSTEM.

wow this shows why hewitt hasn't been winning.

junbumkim 01-02-2009 11:56 PM

They mostly drink it b/c they feel like they need an instant boost of energy.
I don't think they are going to get that dehydrated from a can of soda. Also, they are constantly hydrating themselves between changeovers.

I remember reading an Sampras interview after his famous match against Corretja at 96 US Open. He said he started drinking some Pepsi b/c he felt like he needed some energy so he wanted to take in some sugar.

viktorkwan 01-03-2009 12:34 AM

The pros who have been spotted drinking coke don't do it every match.

They only do it when they need an instant energy boost. Besides Coke, they still continue to rehydrate themselves with water or sports drinks with electrolytes etc.

I think the Bryan Brothers eat some glucose gel during their matches. That's to give them energy boosts as well.

kelz 01-03-2009 01:33 AM

Weird, I thought when one perspires, they lose electrolytes in sweat solutions. Coke is high in sugar... that doesn't replace the electrolytes...

Messarger 01-03-2009 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viktorkwan (Post 2971048)
The pros who have been spotted drinking coke don't do it every match.

They only do it when they need an instant energy boost. Besides Coke, they still continue to rehydrate themselves with water or sports drinks with electrolytes etc.

I think the Bryan Brothers eat some glucose gel during their matches. That's to give them energy boosts as well.

Wouldnt banana be a better choice? Considering it digest quickly.

raiden031 01-03-2009 03:24 AM

I drink coffee during matches sometimes and its far more of a diaretic than coke. Unless its 100 degrees, its not a big deal. On a day of mild temperature, I can go 3 sets without a sip of water and still feel fine.

Gorecki 01-03-2009 04:09 AM

Boris did it all the time. fast assimilation sugar and caffeine... faster than bananas, coffee, glucose gel... just be sure to compensate with water...

15_ounce 01-03-2009 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Underhand (Post 2971101)
Hewitt should drink beer during his matches as a true ozzie.

:) Ahahah you made me laugh.... I know a group of players in the club where I play who always drink cans of beers after they finish playing... but not during playing ... hahahah i wonder if they would be able to swing at the ball...

DJG 01-03-2009 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 15_ounce (Post 2971194)
:) Ahahah you made me laugh.... I know a group of players in the club where I play who always drink cans of beers after they finish playing... but not during playing ... hahahah i wonder if they would be able to swing at the ball...

I've been know to play an easy set of two after a beer (or two) - it actually gets to you quite quickly, you cannot feel the effects yet, but your game does.

El Diablo 01-03-2009 06:33 AM

Jimmy Connors' pre-match meal -- two hamburgers and THREE glasses of Coca-Cola (as reported by Tennis Magazine). He did pretty well with Coke on board. I've consumed Coke during matches; it's fine as long as other players don't mind the belching.

Gorecki 01-03-2009 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Diablo (Post 2971429)
Jimmy Connors' pre-match meal -- two hamburgers and THREE glasses of Coca-Cola (as reported by Tennis Magazine). He did pretty well with Coke on board. I've consumed Coke during matches; it's fine as long as other players don't mind the belching.

Martina also did nice with coke...

jetlee2k 01-03-2009 07:35 AM

i've seen many guys playing in my clubs in South East Asia over 100F playing some intense match and drink beer when they change over.. some of them smokes.. YES.. they smoke when they change over and gosh.. they play very well.. they bet thousand of dollars on the match so they must be serious.. they are not PROs though..

Stchamps 01-03-2009 07:36 AM

Wouldn't surprise me because when my dad did an iron man he drank coke.