Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   what is "treeing"? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=2383)

Emma Knightley 04-01-2004 06:01 AM

what is "treeing"?

from tennis-x: In typical Williams sister fashion, Venus attributed the loss to poor play on her part and "treeing" on the part of her opponent.[/i]

jmckinney 04-01-2004 06:12 AM

Treeing is when one is playing way above their normal level of play, like playing in the zone. Of course, every time one of the Williams loses there is always an excuse. There opponent is always treeing or they are always hurt. Why can't they just admit that players are just as good as they are or better.

NoBadMojo 04-01-2004 06:41 AM

Serena said in a post match interview once that the only reason she could possibly lose would be if she played poorly that day. The Williams sisters never give ANY credit to their opponents..that's pretty bad IMO. So Richard taught them to have no respect for their opponents...what a guy. Ed

robkat 04-01-2004 06:42 AM

Ditto .. I agree with jmckinney and Mojo

baseliner 04-01-2004 08:01 AM

No need to watch post match press conference when a Williams loses. Always the same. Please note Williams was down a set (and I think a break) when she got injured. After the injury she started winning. Prior to injury she was losing.

@wright 04-01-2004 08:06 AM

Treeing is a term used for beating a Williams. I really hate Richard Williams, he is one of the weirdest, most c0cky ****** bags in tennis IMO.

jmckinney 04-01-2004 08:19 AM

Awright

I have to disagree. It is not Richard, but their trashy, ****ty, lard-assed, mother that needs to be blamed. Venus is actually more humble than Serena. Venus takes after her dad and Serena takes after her mom. Their mom is just a fame grabbing, money hungry, ****. I mean look at Serena's fashion sense and outfits, spitting image of what her mother tries to be, a hooker.

Peter Samprer 04-01-2004 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmckinney
Awright

I have to disagree. It is not Richard, but their trashy, ****ty, lard-assed, mother that needs to be blamed. Venus is actually more humble than Serena. Venus takes after her dad and Serena takes after her mom. Their mom is just a fame grabbing, money hungry, ****. I mean look at Serena's fashion sense and outfits, spitting image of what her mother tries to be, a hooker.

couldn't agree more!

@wright 04-01-2004 08:36 AM

So I'm guessing you're not a huge Oracene fan...BTW does the name Oracene sound like a medicine for anal itch?

rommil 04-01-2004 09:14 AM

Sartorial criticisms aside, I thought Oracene was "more cool" than Richard Williams. She always doesn't get emotional when watching the daughters play, just sits there and enjoy the game, even applauds after a good point no matter who wins it. Then again, that's all I know of her so far.

joe sch 04-01-2004 09:22 AM

From all the quotes I have heard from Richard Williams over the years, its pretty obvious where the sisters have received their class etiquette training. I respect Venus the most for overcoming lots of this handicap, unlike Serena.

sseemiller 04-01-2004 04:13 PM

I just want to say I love the handle Emma Knightly. :)

Emma is one of my favorite books, and definitely my fave Jane Austen book. Although Pride & Prejudice is a close second. I'm so glad Emma ended up with Mr. Knightly in the end, and not Frank. He deserved Jane. :wink:

Susan

nippurr 04-01-2004 05:29 PM

sseemiller - LOL - You think they got it?

Emma Knightley 04-02-2004 06:01 AM

does anyone know how this usage of "tree" came about?

to credit venus, she did refuse to blame her loss on her ankle/leg/whatever ... she just blamed it on her play.

i certainly don't watch as much tennis as you guys, but i think it's pretty harsh to call someone a hooker based on her appearance. i don't like richard williams either, but personally i have no problem with the sisters' press conferences. call it arrogance, or call it the confidence of champions. sure, it's PC nowadays to give "credit" to your opponent, but if serena truly believes that no one can really beat her, then more power to her. maybe as she ages she'll learn that there are reasons people boo her, and she'll soften up.

----

thank you susan! pride and prejudice is actually my favorite :)