Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Ballinbob's New Backhand!! (vid) (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=240153)

Ballinbob 01-18-2009 04:13 PM

Ballinbob's New Backhand!! (vid)

Hey guys

Got another vid of my backhand for you to critique. I think I'm hitting alot better than my last video, but I'll let you be the judge. And Behappy, I hope your happy now lol

Old rally vid:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq0wX9S4JWk
New Backhand vid:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHMuwaaoiOc
Newer Vid:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GTnE...e=channel_page (I tried keep my arm straight in this one, and sorry its kinda messy) I'll post another vid in like 2 weeks when I get everything down
NewEST vid (watch this one)L:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GM0PI57BzI

Post away!

ThA_Azn_DeViL 01-18-2009 04:18 PM

I like it, something keeps bothering me though, I dont think your using very much shoulder pivoting, which allows you to rotate more, but definitely an improvement.

Ballinbob 01-18-2009 04:22 PM

thanks. Its been alot more consistent lately, but it still breaks down under pressure. Maybe I'm not using enough shoulder rotation, I dont know. Thats why I made this thread lol

BeHappy 01-18-2009 04:33 PM

Couple of things

1) You are still bending your arm on the take back, keep your arm straight and relaxed like the picture in the FAQ

2)You are still taking it back way to high, I said pocket height, not chest high.

3)You are still pointing the racket head up as opposed to straight back behind you.

Now I'm aware you want to have a pretty backhand, that's a lot of people's motivation for taking up the one hander, and at first, if you follow my instruction, you are going to have a backhand that looks like Blakes, as opposed to Justine Henin's, but just get those fundamentals down first, ok? Then you can start adding everything else.

Incidentally, look at this guys backhand, Petr Korda, 10 years ago this was everybody's favorite backhand, technically it's identical to what I'm showing you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3Z-MaFtHfs&fmt=18

BTW, it looks like it's a lot better than before, , I'd say you were hitting the ball better?

Ballinbob 01-18-2009 04:40 PM

alright, will do. I'll work on it, and I might even be able to post yet another vid tomorrow. I don't really care about how pretty my backhand is to be honest. I don't see anything wrong with having Blake's backhand either lol. And yeah, I'm hitting my backhand alot cleaner than before and that's made a big difference

Like I said though, I'll get to work on this ASAP. My backhand is the only thing holding my ground game back, and once I get it down I'll be a much more dangerous opponent

BeHappy 01-18-2009 04:41 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCeXFXwUAz0&fmt=18

here's a much better video of Korda actually that first video was made by a french guy celebrating a french player, you can see how awesome it is here.

Jonny S&V 01-18-2009 04:42 PM

It's better, but you HAVE to let the racquet head drop below the ball, if only a little. Too much safety is better then too little. :)

BeHappy 01-18-2009 04:43 PM

can you see now why I said to practice those three positions in front of the mirror?

m27 01-18-2009 04:45 PM

looks better than the old video
there are still problems, but you probably know that
1) takeback should be higher and further behind you. practice turning your head to the right as far as possible (without hurting yourself) and pulling your (right) shoulder in.
2) more torso turn. your back should be almost square to your opponent during your backswing.
3) you're rising far too early and its robbing you of all power. you need to understand the purpose of rising; like leaving your feet on a forehand, its not a cause, its an effect. this is why you feel off balance and unable to add power to the shot.
4) you're late most of the time. this is why your backhand feels rushed.
5) its hard to tell from the video, but it looks like you're wristing the shot. your wrist shouldnt move until after contact. this is why there is no power in your shot.
6) you need straighten your arm faster. right now, your forearm is parallel to the ground when your upper arm is perpendicular to the ground. it should be about 45 degrees.
7) you're not swinging low to high. yes, your racquet tends to go up a little after you hit the ball, but the ball doesnt care about that. your racquet head travels pretty much parallel to the ground until impact. this is why there is no topspin on your shots.

Ballinbob 01-18-2009 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonny S&V (Post 3018243)
It's better, but you HAVE to let the racquet head drop below the ball, if only a little. Too much safety is better then too little. :)

Yeah thanks. So I guess that's why I have a REALLY flat backhand then?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeHappy (Post 3018249)
can you see now why I said to practice those three positions in front of the mirror?

Yeah I see why now. I'm off school tomorrow, so I can post another vid then too. Thanks for your help with everything btw, I really appreciate it. Believe me your advice isn't going to waste, I'm practicing every day for at least 2-3 hours. You will see results with my backhand, just give me some time and I'll get it

Jonny S&V 01-18-2009 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ballinbob (Post 3018264)

Yeah, most all one-handers go through that stage though, so consider yourself one of the smarter ones for actually trying to make your technique better! :)

BeHappy 01-18-2009 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m27 (Post 3018256)
1) takeback should be higher and further behind you. practice turning your head to the right as far as possible (without hurting yourself) and pulling your (right) shoulder in.
2) more torso turn. your back should be almost square to your opponent during your backswing.
3) you're rising far too early and its robbing you of all power. you need to understand the purpose of rising; like leaving your feet on a forehand, its not a cause, its an effect. this is why you feel off balance and unable to add power to the shot.
4) you're late most of the time. this is why your backhand feels rushed.
5) its hard to tell from the video, but it looks like you're wristing the shot. your wrist shouldnt move until after contact. this is why there is no power in your shot.
6) you need straighten your arm faster. right now, your forearm is parallel to the ground when your upper arm is perpendicular to the ground. it should be about 45 degrees.
7) you're not swinging low to high. yes, your racquet tends to go up a little after you hit the ball, but the ball doesnt care about that. your racquet head travels pretty much parallel to the ground until impact. this is why there is no topspin on your shots.

I know you mean well, but BallinBob you should ignore this guy.

Ballinbob 01-18-2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m27 (Post 3018256)
1) takeback should be higher and further behind you. practice turning your head to the right as far as possible (without hurting yourself)

Wouldnt it be a good idea to shorten my takeback (pocket height) for now?

BeHappy 01-18-2009 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ballinbob (Post 3018264)

Yeah I see why now. I'm off school tomorrow, so I can post another vid then too. Thanks for your help with everything btw, I really appreciate it. Believe me your advice isn't going to waste, I'm practicing every day for at least 2-3 hours. You will see results with my backhand, just give me some time and I'll get it

Good. I don't want to overload you with information, but let me just say thaat the point of the backswing is to lower you hand and racket to the position I told you to assume, which is with your hand by your pocket and your racket pointing behind you. If you swing straight to the finish from their you will get topspin don't worry.

Just practice those positions in front of the mirror, then get out on the court! ;)

mikeler 01-18-2009 04:55 PM

It is a very compact stroke. My back swing is the same whether I slice the ball or hit topspin and is definitely higher than yours. I'm not sure whether that is something you need to change though.

On the follow through, I don't think you are getting your arm up high enough. Try and get your wrist at eye level on the follow through with your arm fully extended. This will allow you to get some more topspin on the ball and should provide a little more pop on it.

TheShaun 01-18-2009 04:55 PM

thanks for posting a vid. that takes some courage.

nice improvement. but as others have said, it looks like you're slapping the ball rather than taking a tennis swing. if that makes any sense. my backhand was very similar to yours, and when someone told me i was slapping the ball it made complete sense and i was able to picture a full swing rather than a slap. mine is still a work in progress too, i still slap when i get rushed.

keep working at it and keep posting.

m27 01-18-2009 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeHappy (Post 3018280)
I know you mean well, but BallinBob you should ignore this guy.

do you want to compare backhands?

and bob, do you think it would be a good idea to learn a forehand with a straight, waist-height backswing? do yourself a favor and learn a proper backhand. anyone who tells you otherwise just thinks you're too inept to learn the real thing.

Ballinbob 01-18-2009 04:57 PM

thanks guys for the advice, and yeah i'll definitley keep posting vids. This is the closest to private lessons as it gets. I'll brb, dinner..

BeHappy 01-18-2009 04:58 PM

I can't edit my post for some reason.

Anyway, that pocket position is what Henin, Gasquet, Kuerten etc all have in common, so when you're starting off you should go straight to it, then when it has become instinctive you can (if you want) go to a slice takeback and move your racket through that position from there.

BeHappy 01-18-2009 05:03 PM

You actually didn't reach an of the positions BallinBob, including the finish, I'm going to post the FAQ sticky post here:
Quote:

Originally Posted by BeHappy
The clearest, and to my knowledge most successful way of teaching the one hander imo is that of Robert Lansdorp, (coach of Sampras, davenport, sharapova, Tracy Austin and about 70 other top 100 players known for their powerful consistent groundstrokes),

As soon as you see the ball coming to your backhand, turn so you are standing sideways

put your hand to your pocket with the racket on edge, (i.e. perpendicular to the ground) low takeback to begin with, notice the fairly straight, relaxed arm:

Swing straight through the ball and finish with your hand at eye level, your racket on edge (perpendicular to the ground), and with your arm extended towards the target :

the finish from another angle, notice the arm is fairly straight

Basically swing to the finish, if you do that you should swing from low to high, and your racket face should be perpendicular when you hit the ball, as you both start and finish with the frame perpendicular to the ground/on edge, and so the ball shouldn't fly up into the air or into the bottom of the net due to an overly open or closed racket face.

Practice the start and finish position with a racket before you get on the court making sure your hand is at eye level, perpendicular racket head etc. Keep your arm fairly straight but relaxed throughout, this includes the take back.

Don't even try the high takeback till you have this down!

I'll edit in info about grips later, for now, suffice it to say that if you hit your backhand with a forehand grip, you are wasting your time.

Your takeback was chest high, with a (very!) bent arm.

Your follow through was chest high.

So you have a lot of work to do!