Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Head Graphite Tour 600 or Head Tour 600 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=241134)

Bud 01-23-2009 01:12 PM

Head Graphite Tour 600 or Head Tour 600
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by plasma (Post 3037964)
sadly, the silver graphite tour (81 sq.) is the only head i currently have in this mold. Head edge was at least as good as 200g, ps 85, r22, f200, etc. apparently there was even a version with the us flag...doubt anyone can name another stick that felt so right!!!! guess their old stencils were more badass afterall....
as far as percentages....Jorel (coolest name ever btw), they are useless, even if you found the exact molds and process; the type of graphite and fiberglass they used is no longer around, the graphite used back then was like thick coarse strands of horse-tail hair. That's why old school racquets have a feel and dwell time that cannot be duped, that's why new school 200$ racquets feel like petrified dog *****, and obscure "worthless" racquets are invaluable and priceless:

Plasma... I noticed a particular racquet hanging on your wall... the Head Graphite Tour 600

I don't know much about this particular frame, but somehow ended up with 2 frames very similar. Mine are called Head Tour 600 (not Graphite Tour 600)

What is the history and why is it so special it made your 'wall of fame'? :) I notice on mine the Star Trek font and the graphics are similar to other racquets from the early 90's like the 2nd generation Head Graphite Pro. The graphics on yours are more similar to the Tour XL, Trisys 270, PT 280/630, etc. Also, yours has that funky set of "snakeskin" grommets at the throat that my Trisys 270 had.

- - - - - - - - - -

I just weighed and balanced mine:

Head Tour 600
12.3 oz.
9pts. HL

plasma 01-23-2009 02:02 PM

I got the graphite tour 600 since it looks identical to a trysis 270...i got a trysis 270 as a kid from the haddasah thrift store that used to be on Brighton Ave., since I couldn't afford the prestige i wanted .....everyone made fun of my trysis 270, claiming it wasn't a real prestige. Yet even today I respect its unique perfect balance, similar to the older elektra pro or prestige pro....

Bud 01-23-2009 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasma (Post 3038145)
I got the graphite tour 600 since it looks identical to a trysis 270...i got a trysis 270 as a kid from the haddasah thrift store that used to be on Brighton Ave., since I couldn't afford the prestige i wanted .....everyone made fun of my trysis 270, claiming it wasn't a real prestige. Yet even today I respect its unique perfect balance, similar to the older elektra pro or prestige pro....

I agree... although the beam width is similar to the 2nd generation Graphite Pro (whereas the original version is much thinner), it's a very comfortable, solid racquet.

plasma 01-23-2009 03:08 PM

which racquets (including the the prestige pros and the elektra pro) have that thinner original prestige mold?

MichaelChang 01-23-2009 04:28 PM

The Graphite Tour 600 is the same as the Trisys 270 Mid. The one sold in US is called Trisys 270, the one sold in Europe/Asia is called Graphite Tour 600. When it was released(in mid/late 90s) I was in China, and I bought one Graphite Tour 660 (the midplus version). Then later when I was in US, I bought a Trisys 270 Mid. The 270 Mid has a thicker beam than Prestige 600. And the 270 Mid does not fit the Prestige mid Cap grommets, yes they do not fit. The drilling pattern is slightly different around 4 o'clock.

Virginia 01-23-2009 07:00 PM

So does the 270 Mid have the cap grommets like the Prestige Tour 600?

plasma 01-23-2009 07:43 PM

Hi Virginia,
I know you love beautiful racquets as much as I do, so I snapped these for you. I acquired the Elektra in the same way that you got your Prestige (for a song). Dig the jade green original half CAPS...I bet the stringer threw in the power pads because he/she cared for their customers, back before they were continually programmed to upsell the latest sweatshop crap...as far as I know txp's were the first full CAP's, but I'm no head expert....enjoy!!!


Virginia 01-23-2009 09:40 PM

Very nice, plasma! :)

MichaelChang 01-24-2009 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virginia (Post 3038969)
So does the 270 Mid have the cap grommets like the Prestige Tour 600?

No. the 270 comes with regular grommets/bumper. And the beam is thicker so regular prestige Mid Caps will not fit it.

Bud 01-24-2009 09:47 AM

Head Tour 600
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelChang (Post 3038502)
The Graphite Tour 600 is the same as the Trisys 270 Mid. The one sold in US is called Trisys 270, the one sold in Europe/Asia is called Graphite Tour 600. When it was released(in mid/late 90s) I was in China, and I bought one Graphite Tour 660 (the midplus version). Then later when I was in US, I bought a Trisys 270 Mid. The 270 Mid has a thicker beam than Prestige 600. And the 270 Mid does not fit the Prestige mid Cap grommets, yes they do not fit. The drilling pattern is slightly different around 4 o'clock.

How about the regular Tour 600? It's a wide beam with the Star Trek font. I'll post some pics here, shortly.

Bud 01-24-2009 10:40 AM

Head Tour 600
 
Here are some pics and a link to additional pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/sbinsdca/HeadTour600012409#












plasma 03-02-2009 01:17 AM

that's digital font, star trek font are similar to standard 600 font but the letters are filled in. It looks like the font exactly from star trek. Play is supposed to be soft and out of this world as well. I have a new prestige classic 600 and a used one. Both are non-trek font and "designed in Austria". Trek Font is labeled "made in Austria"

Bud 03-02-2009 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasma (Post 3175695)
that's digital font, star trek font are similar to standard 600 font but the letters are filled in. It looks like the font exactly from star trek. Play is supposed to be soft and out of this world as well. I have a new prestige classic 600 and a used one. Both are non-trek font and "designed in Austria". Trek Font is labeled "made in Austria"

These two play really soft, too.

I'll have to write that down... DIGITAL FONT :)

retrowagen 03-02-2009 02:13 PM

To clear up things a little: The Graphite Tour 600 is the same frame as the Trisys 270 Mid. It was offered in 1993 only. The Trisys 270 was a model name for North America. This was the mid one step below the Prestige Tour 300 in that year. Its mold looks quite similar to the PT300 but there are subtle differences, particularly in the drilling pattern. Those two throat grommet pieces fit into open slots in the throat bridge and the drilling pattern is moderately different than that of the PT300/PC600 (although they're both 600 cm2 18x20's). The GT600/TS270 Mid was not compatible or available with a CAP grommet system. Both the PT300 and TS270 (and their European-market cousins) were available as 630cm2 midplusses concurrently. I have a Trisys 270 Midplus kicking around here somewhere.

The Tour 600 ("digital font") appears to be of the same constant-beam 600 cm2 widebody mold first seen on the 1989 Match Pro. If this is the case, it's probably a cheaper frame which would have been marketed towards club players or beginners in the European market in the mid-90's. The Match Pro was made in Taiwan, however, not Austria.

Bud 03-02-2009 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retrowagen (Post 3177498)
To clear up things a little: The Graphite Tour 600 is the same frame as the Trisys 270 Mid. It was offered in 1993 only. The Trisys 270 was a model name for North America. This was the mid one step below the Prestige Tour 300 in that year. Its mold looks quite similar to the PT300 but there are subtle differences, particularly in the drilling pattern. Those two throat grommet pieces fit into open slots in the throat bridge and the drilling pattern is moderately different than that of the PT300/PC600 (although they're both 600 cm2 18x20's). The GT600/TS270 Mid was not compatible or available with a CAP grommet system. Both the PT300 and TS270 (and their European-market cousins) were available as 630cm2 midplusses concurrently. I have a Trisys 270 Midplus kicking around here somewhere.

The Tour 600 ("digital font") appears to be of the same constant-beam 600 cm2 widebody mold first seen on the 1989 Match Pro. If this is the case, it's probably a cheaper frame which would have been marketed towards club players or beginners in the European market in the mid-90's. The Match Pro was made in Taiwan, however, not Austria.

Thanks for the info, RW! :)

plasma 03-03-2009 12:22 AM

green and grey model is supposedly not tinny as well, softer, like the original trek font 600. The two 600's (classic and tour) in my wilbur-sized photo are not Trek Font. Plasma aint no trekky (unfortunatley).


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse