Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Must Play Frames (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=241466)

bumfluff 01-25-2009 12:41 PM

Must Play Frames

Post the name of a racket which in your opinion plays great and give us reasons why.

The aim is to come up with a comprehensive list of frames that are a must to try (I know people have different opinions, but the world of discontinued frames is so big that its good to know whats out there).

1.POG 4 stripe
2.kneissl white star twin
3.Yonex r22
4.Donnay WST cobalt
5.Wilson Pro Staff Classic 6.1
6.Rossignol F200
7.Head Prestige Classic
8.Dunlop 200G
9.Wilson Pro Staff Original 6.0 85
10.Yonex RD Ti 70 88
11.Yamaha YFG30
12.Rossignol F300
13.Yonex SRD Tour 90
14.Volkl Tournament Pro Tour 93

plasma 01-25-2009 06:05 PM

I wish I had one now- keep em if you got em
1.POG 4 stripe
No other racquet comes close for feel and plough thru.
2.kneissl white star twin- unusually great feel, a magic stick
3.Yonex r22- old school feel, new school preformance
4.Donnay WST cobalt- feels even better than the kneissl
5. Prostaff China, (although not as buttery as the st. vincent, much more manuverable) sceintifically proven to give normal players superhuman powers!!!
admit it bumfluff, the psc is sweeter than the n6.1, even though it doesn't look as cool...

bumfluff 01-26-2009 03:34 AM

Quote:

admit it bumfluff, the psc is sweeter than the n6.1, even though it doesn't look as cool...
Of course I admit it, my PSC is my main stick. I will recommend the PSC (its really the only classic frame I have). It has great manouverability and a lot of power and I like the open string pattern (my n6.1 is the closed and I don't like it so much). The PSC would be the best frame EVER if it had the flex of the n6.1 rather than being so stiff although i guess thats what makes it what it is. Don't flame me for saying that.

Anyone else with recommendations?

Perhaps I should add recommendations into the first post.

Edit: I think I prefer the looks of PSC 6.1 to n6.1, its more understated and more people ask you what it is when they get a closer look because none of the pros are seen to use it. With the n6.1 people just think you are copying Federer of old.

jetlee2k 01-26-2009 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bumfluff (Post 3047328)
Post the name of a racket which in your opinion plays great and give us reasons why.

The aim is to come up with a comprehensive list of frames that are a must to try (I know people have different opinions, but the world of discontinued frames is so big that its good to know whats out there).

1.POG 4 stripe

4 stripes? 1987 model?? MID? Oversize?

POG MID 1983 model is really a plow thru racquet with some lead at on to it..

I would say must try include

GTX PRO (or PRO-T)
Puma (Super, Winner)
Dunlop 300i, 400i
Wilson Ultra (ultra standard, MID, Ultra 2)
HEAD XRC

goosala 01-26-2009 06:12 AM

I have always wanted to try the Dunlop 400i because it was more powerful than the 200G.

jorel 01-26-2009 07:52 AM

ummm 6.0 85

bumfluff 01-26-2009 09:38 AM

If you could all include reasons as to why they are must play frames then I will include them in the list. It seems to me that you shouldn't be able to recommend a must try unless you know why it is, granted those are probably all great frames, but it would be good for people to be able to come to this thread, search for one of the frames in the list and read why it is a good frame.

Dino Lagaffe 01-26-2009 10:21 AM

Hi Bumfluff!

I think the Rossignol F200 should be included on your list. The super flexy feel is special and ought to be experienced.

Another racquet to add is the Head Prestige Classic. In spite of its mid headsize and 18x20 pattern, it's actually a very versatile reacquet, which can be seen by the many different pros that have used this stick.

bumfluff 01-26-2009 10:33 AM

Done (10 char)

Virginia 01-26-2009 10:41 AM

I think we should include the Dunlop 200G - there's no other racquet like it. The feel is amazing and the bigger your swing, the harder (and faster) the stroke. It must be something to do with the injection moulding, I think.

gymrat76 01-26-2009 03:02 PM

Donnay Pro Cynetic One...actually I havent tried it yet..about to purchase it lol I know it doesn't necessarily reflect my thoughts as my best choice lol. They say this racquet was Donnay's answer to PS6.0 85. It looks identical and with same braided kevlar/graph. I dont know much about the racquet although came across few threads that some ppl think it actually plays better than the PS85. We'll see..

My choice would be a bumperless SV 6.0 85 with lead at 3&9 and strung at no less than 66lbs. Any tension less (ie below 60) I basically hate it as the racq. will be too powerful

plasma 01-26-2009 03:08 PM

not even the best inventors and engineers know what you know intuitively mel. Stats are bs, it's all about feel...response....mojo baby,,,yeah!!!!

my list was more obscure than comprehensive...pls add the suggested frames aside from the pro cinetic which looks great stats-wise, but needs us all to take a hit before being officially declared: "da bomb shniggity shnoo!"

jorel 01-27-2009 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymrat76 (Post 3053059)
Donnay Pro Cynetic One...actually I havent tried it yet..about to purchase it lol I know it doesn't necessarily reflect my thoughts as my best choice lol. They say this racquet was Donnay's answer to PS6.0 85. It looks identical and with same braided kevlar/graph. I dont know much about the racquet although came across few threads that some ppl think it actually plays better than the PS85. We'll see..

My

nice racquet... used to be Jimmy ARias' frame... rumuor has it that it was the frame for Sampras right before the WIlson 6.0 85....

jetlee2k 01-27-2009 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymrat76 (Post 3053059)

My choice would be a bumperless SV 6.0 85 with lead at 3&9 and strung at no less than 66lbs. Any tension less (ie below 60) I basically hate it as the racq. will be too powerful

yup.. definitely a must.. I have a few of these.... the screw & locks.. nice racquets.. I will post some pictures later.

jetlee2k 01-27-2009 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dino Lagaffe (Post 3052192)
Hi Bumfluff!

I think the Rossignol F200 should be included on your list. The super flexy feel is special and ought to be experienced.

Another racquet to add is the Head Prestige Classic. In spite of its mid headsize and 18x20 pattern, it's actually a very versatile reacquet, which can be seen by the many different pros that have used this stick.

this belong to legend racquet club too.. one day I pulled it out the storage, with 20 year old string left on it and i hit .. wooww.. so much feel, touch and power.. one of the draw back is if this modern day game, blasting and booming serve, the racquet seems crack at the throat.. beside that F200 is one of a must try racquet..

plasma 01-27-2009 08:11 AM

Jet, you've probably hit with more frames than the rest of us combined, please give us a list of 10 must-play unknown classics...also pls create some threads in the classic racquet forum.....can't wait to see more of your monster collection and hear about some of these great unknowns...
thanks
Plasma

bumfluff 01-27-2009 08:22 AM

10 must play? I want them ALL!

I've added the PSO 6.0 85. Left out the Pro Cynetic for now until gymrat has actually used it. More please...

gymrat76 01-27-2009 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasma (Post 3053076)
not even the best inventors and engineers know what you know intuitively mel. Stats are bs, it's all about feel...response....mojo baby,,,yeah!!!!

my list was more obscure than comprehensive...pls add the suggested frames aside from the pro cinetic which looks great stats-wise, but needs us all to take a hit before being officially declared: "da bomb shniggity shnoo!"

YEAH, BABY! :):)

Since it will be eternal, once I come up a list of my favs, will write it down with reasons...

gymrat76 01-27-2009 03:03 PM

I guess I will try the Donnay Cynetic..it is cheap at 30 bucks and in very good cond. and it looked identical in pics, to a PS85..
I am stuck in between getting that or an excellent cond Rossi F200 again darn cheap..heck I might get both, but I am no collector :) I am a playa! :)
My SV PS85s, once in a while the 200G and some new school Becker frames keep me happy!

I think the classic racqs sub-section became a coffee shop for the great collectors out there, which is great!

plasma 01-27-2009 06:57 PM

we've all played the flexy and incredible f200, give the pro cinetic a try and let us know if it stands up to the ps 85, braided graphite sounds unbeatable...
I am currently using the stars and stripes which solves many problems we have both run into with the prostaff....kinda funny that it wasn't made in the USA yet is basically a u.s. flag...I wonder if safinizing a stars and stripes is a federal crime???