Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Have you ever been in full sprint during a point (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=241499)

HeilBarney 01-25-2009 03:29 PM

Have you ever been in full sprint during a point

A friend and I were arguing and in my opinion you can never use your full speed during a tennis point. It is all about quickness and not speed in my opinion. Of course one needs to be fast, but I don't think i've ever needed to run at my fastest during a point, even when I can't get there. I just have to be explosive and accurate with my footsteps. Anyone agree/disagree?

m27 01-25-2009 03:37 PM

I have sprinted absolutely 100% for dropshots

oneguy21 01-25-2009 03:41 PM

Sure you do. Even the best footwork won't save you from sprinting occasionally.

BradWilson 01-25-2009 03:44 PM

i sprint 100% on the running forehands and up to the droppers(if im deep behind the baseline). its the whole bullet time feeling too.

split-step 01-25-2009 04:42 PM

hmm.

I'm of the opinion that you almost always don't get to 'full sprint' on a tennis court. It takes a bit to get to full sprint and in tennis you will usually start to 'check/reduce' your speed as you get to the ball.

e.g on a forehand/backhand you are pulled wide on, or on a dropshot if you are deep in the court, you will run but will slow down/get your footwork for the shot you are about to hit.

votin123 01-25-2009 04:46 PM

I think you can only really sprinting at your full speed when you are at your best and you are playing defense, the other guy would hit the ball from one corner to the other and maybe a dropshot.

randomname 01-25-2009 06:05 PM

I wouldnt say it NEVER happens, but there are really only a few situations where you have enough room to get to a full spring, it probably only happens less than once every 4 or 5 matches.

Steady Eddy 01-25-2009 06:25 PM

Sometimes I do wind up in full sprint. But if your point is that quickness is more important for court coverage that speed, I'd say you're correct. An experienced player who always gets a good jump on the ball never seems to have to hurry to get to the ball. Beginners usually don't move until the ball has crossed the net and even taken its first bounce. Even a track star beginner will struggle to cover the court while playing a pusher.

The shortest sprint in the Olympics is the 100 meter dash, but from the center of the baseline to the sideline is only 9 yards. Look at the mathematics, it's more about taking a few quick steps than all out running.

Rickson 01-25-2009 06:32 PM

Not full sprint because 1) you have to be on your toes, and 2) you'll never recover if you go full sprint.

Kevo 01-25-2009 06:33 PM

I'm pretty sure I've been in a full sprint a few times, but I agree that it doesn't happen often. I guess it probably depends on what you mean by full sprint. How many steps does it take for an olympic sprinter to get to a full sprint? 8 or 10 maybe? I don't know, but I don't think I have much more top end after about 6 steps maybe.

kimbahpnam 01-25-2009 06:40 PM

I don't know if there's enough room on the court to get to the same speed as a full sprint on a 100M dash, but the first step is a pretty explosive step kinda like out of the starting block

Rickson 01-25-2009 06:44 PM

I'd full sprint for some rice wrapped in seaweed right about now. I always get hungry when you post, nam.

aceroberts13 01-25-2009 06:53 PM

Yes I always do. I try to run everything down.

BullDogTennis 01-25-2009 06:57 PM

you've obviously played no one very good if you havnt ran full speed before. lets break one down.

he hits a wide serve. you backhand it, totally out of court. he hits it wide to the other side. maybe you dont hit full speed here, but your completely out of the court again. and he hits a drop shot, your 110 percent to get to that drop shot. and probably hit full speed to get the first ball if he hit it decent at all.

BullDogTennis 01-25-2009 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimbahpnam (Post 3048772)
I don't know if there's enough room on the court to get to the same speed as a full sprint on a 100M dash, but the first step is a pretty explosive step kinda like out of the starting block

you run a 100m dash, your not getting faster after probably 5 steps. your just trying tohave to hold that speed.

Storm_Kyori 01-25-2009 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m27 (Post 3047876)
I have sprinted absolutely 100% for dropshots

Same here I chased one so fast...or not fast enough depending on how you look at it and I almost fell over the net. I used my frame to support my weight and I had my body on the net.

HeilBarney 01-25-2009 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickson (Post 3048730)
Not full sprint because 1) you have to be on your toes, and 2) you'll never recover if you go full sprint.

I pretty much agree with this. if your in a situation where you have to gun it with your legs, how good of a shot can you hit and if your opponent gets it back, how much does it take to stop and come back. Sprinting is uncontrolled speed. Tennis players need controlled speed.

AlphaCDjkr 01-25-2009 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimbahpnam (Post 3048772)

I agree with this. It takes some time to actually reach max speed; truly sprinting for a drop shot would send you right into the net. Seems difficult to sprint at a shot that's maybe 2-4 feet from the net and actually decelerate that distance as soon as you manage to retrieve the shot. The court doesn't seem big enough to actually be able to sprint at all. I can visualize sprinting side-to-side though, but I don't think you can actually sprint and maintain your balance and control to retrieve the ball at max speed.

I would say that you can sprint on the court, but you won't hit the ball at max speed; usually you slow down a few steps before hitting it.

wihamilton 01-25-2009 09:08 PM

You definitely all-out sprint during a match. Watch the Aussie Open -- you'll see pros do it when they are running side-to-side chasing down balls, closing on drop shots, and running down lobs.

kimbahpnam 01-25-2009 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BullDogTennis (Post 3048845)
you run a 100m dash, your not getting faster after probably 5 steps. your just trying tohave to hold that speed.

From baseline to net is about 5-7 steps depending on your stride and speed. And say you hit the ball on the last step, you're never going full speed on your last step at the moment of contact when running into the net with about a couple feet of room. The last step is used as a brake.