Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Nadal and Roddick Experts Needed! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=242698)

Rusedskifan 01-31-2009 07:48 AM

Nadal and Roddick Experts Needed!

I know a few of these questions have been raging around this board but I just would like these answered by people who really know the true answers.

Nadal's first Babolat Racquet model name? The black Aero what?

Nadal's current string and gauge?

Roddick's current string and gauge?

Is Roddick using a paint job?

tvp900 01-31-2009 09:20 AM

I can answer 3 out of 4.

Nadal's string is Pro Hurricane Tour 16 guage

Roddick's strings are Pro Hurricane Tour/VS Hybrid 16 guage

Roddick isn't using a new paint job, it actually will be a new racket. (though, for all intents and purposes, it's the same racket and technology)

tennis_balla 01-31-2009 10:00 AM

Nadal doesn't use the Pro Hurricane, never did I think. You can tell because his strings are way too shiny like a clear poly. He uses the Babolat Tour Duralast.

and his racket before was the Babolat Aero Pro Drive which I think he still uses underneath that paintjob.

Forehand Forever 01-31-2009 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvp900 (Post 3079018)
I can answer 3 out of 4.

Roddick isn't using a new paint job, it actually will be a new racket. (though, for all intents and purposes, it's the same racket and technology)

We're pretty sure Roddick's using the same racquet he's always been using.

Lindsay 01-31-2009 10:13 AM

1. Aero Pro Drive.

2. Nadal uses Babolat Duralast 15L. Its only available overseas. Its marketed as Pro Hurricane Tour.

3. Roddick uses Pro Hurricane Tour 17 / Babolat VS 16.

4. No one has a good enough picture to determine whether Andy is using the new frame or not. It is a new cosmetic. Andy's previous racquets didn't have the Cortex, though it looked like it did. If the new one doesn't ACTUALLY have Cortex, then he didn't switch. If it really has Cortex, then he did switch.

racquetstudio 01-31-2009 10:24 AM

Roddicks string

I was Andy's stringer for the summer of 2005,long time ago i know,but at that time he was useing a blue Babolat poly,it wasn't Hurricane i can assure you,the reels were unmarked.The string was a bit softer than Hurricane.As for the crosses he used 1.30 Babolat Team,i had to spec every set to check diameter.I still have about ten sets of this stuff somewhere.Tensions varied from 64-69 lbs depending where he was playing.I think i have two of his racquets in my storage as well.

master_stringer_mitchy 01-31-2009 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvp900 (Post 3079018)
I can answer 3 out of 4.

dude, i dont like to put you down as ur new, but ur wrong on 2 out of the 3 you answered.

nadal is using the original aero pro drive with a little lead at 12 under the bumper. the strings he uses are babolat duralast (can get in europe) in a 1.35g strung at 24kg. babolat advertised nadal as using pro hirricane for years, even though it had never been made in yellow. babolat told my shop he used duralast back then, this was late 05 and even sent us a reel of it. babolat came up with hurricane tour partly as to most it would pass of as nadals string, its yellow. nadals strings are labled as hurricane tour but is still duralast. nadal supplies his own strings at every tournament.

andy roddick does use a hurricane tour/vs hybrid in the 60lbs tension range and varies. he is using the babolat pure drive + , the one before the cortex and his is still abit longer than the plus version. he has weight at 3 and 9 and some in the handle. he is not using the new version, ive seen the pictures of his racket and the cortex is painted on, cortex to a player of that standard will have no beneficial affects. hope this helps and if you know me you know im not often wrong on these subjects, mitch

master_stringer_mitchy 01-31-2009 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racquetstudio (Post 3079240)
I was Andy's stringer for the summer of 2005,long time ago i know,but at that time he was useing a blue Babolat poly,it wasn't Hurricane i can assure you,the reels were unmarked.The string was a bit softer than Hurricane.As for the crosses he used 1.30 Babolat Team,i had to spec every set to check diameter.I still have about ten sets of this stuff somewhere.Tensions varied from 64-69 lbs depending where he was playing.I think i have two of his racquets in my storage as well.

yeah, i rememer it was rumored to be the ballistic string. if you could post pics that would be great man

Ross K 01-31-2009 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by master_stringer_mitchy (Post 3079340)
dude, i dont like to put you down as ur new, but ur wrong on 2 out of the 3 you answered.

nadal is using the original aero pro drive with a little lead at 12 under the bumper. the strings he uses are babolat duralast (can get in europe) in a 1.35g strung at 24kg. babolat advertised nadal as using pro hirricane for years, even though it had never been made in yellow. babolat told my shop he used duralast back then, this was late 05 and even sent us a reel of it. babolat came up with hurricane tour partly as to most it would pass of as nadals string, its yellow. nadals strings are labled as hurricane tour but is still duralast. nadal supplies his own strings at every tournament.

andy roddick does use a hurricane tour/vs hybrid in the 60lbs tension range and varies. he is using the babolat pure drive + , the one before the cortex and his is still abit longer than the plus version. he has weight at 3 and 9 and some in the handle. he is not using the new version, ive seen the pictures of his racket and the cortex is painted on, cortex to a player of that standard will have no beneficial affects. hope this helps and if you know me you know im not often wrong on these subjects, mitch

Hi Mitch,

Firstly, I agree - I've always thought he uses a PD+ with no Cortex (and that it wouldn't make any odds for a pro to use Cortex.)

Second, I've never heard before his frame is longer than a 'normal' PD+... very interesting.

Next, a Q... Any idea of the exact lead tape amounts ARod might have @ 9 & 3 and in the handle?

Finally, the 60,000 dollar Q... WHERE in the handle exactly would you estimate?!... down at the bottom in the butt cap?... wrapped evenly around the grip?... along and in line with the bevel grooves?... right up top of the handle?... I've been asking this for a long time around here and no-one seems to have much of an answer.

Cheers

R.

Lindsay 01-31-2009 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by master_stringer_mitchy (Post 3079345)
yeah, i rememer it was rumored to be the ballistic string. if you could post pics that would be great man

Could it have been blue Hurricane Tour?

master_stringer_mitchy 01-31-2009 11:35 AM

it was marketed as that, but, it was thought it was just ballistic made in blue, on that one im not sure who knows!

FedererForehand 01-31-2009 11:42 AM

Agreed that Roddick is using the Pure Drive Team + w/ lead and no cortex. Here is a thread from a while back from a guy who was able to hit with one of Roddicks actual frames:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...ddicks+racquet

master_stringer_mitchy 01-31-2009 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross K (Post 3079409)
Hi Mitch,

Firstly, I agree - I've always thought he uses a PD+ with no Cortex (and that it wouldn't make any odds for a pro to use Cortex.)

Second, I've never heard before his frame is longer than a 'normal' PD+... very interesting.

Next, a Q... Any idea of the exact lead tape amounts ARod might have @ 9 & 3 and in the handle?

Finally, the 60,000 dollar Q... WHERE in the handle exactly would you estimate?!... down at the bottom in the butt cap?... wrapped evenly around the grip?... along and in line with the bevel grooves?... right up top of the handle?... I've been asking this for a long time around here and no-one seems to have much of an answer.

Cheers

R.

hey man,

from waht i have heard over the last few years in the trade was a rumor that arods racket is over 27.5, i honestly think this could be possible but another one we will never know unleass one of the stringers tells us OR, there was a guy who had his actual frame could measure it for us, im not confirming it is longer, just putting it out there it could be and personally i hope its not.
as for the lead at 3 and 9, looks like its around 6-10 grams overall, not able to se if there are many layers of this, the other main thing to determine this would be to find out how much his rackets weigh coming out of the factory, i would think there 300g, as he uses the same racket of the shelf but modified.
as for where they add the weight in the handle, thats all to do with the balance. if i ever add weight to a racket, i allways work from the handle up, adding lead at the lowest part of the handle vertically. he may have the weight actually on the inside of the pallet but i think this is unlikely. my guess, as a racket guy would be he would have it on the very bottom, and then they add the weight in the head to balance it, easier working bottom to top. hope this helps ross

nn 01-31-2009 11:46 AM

hahaha just want to laugh because it is discuss to death and we will never know the truth because player and people close to babolat knows the it. Public (obviously myself) will never get hands on what they are using?

1. Nadal has lead in his racquet - string is specially made for him

2. Roddick racquet is head heavy how much? ask priority one who does that job? his string is also questionable but Nadal is using totally unknown in that department or not available to us.

master_stringer_mitchy 01-31-2009 12:20 PM

well not unknown, its called tour duralast, ive been told personally from babolat reps amoungst other sources

Ross K 01-31-2009 12:23 PM

Hi Mitch,

You want to send me an email (via my profile) with your own email address? I just want to ask you something...

R.

LPShanet 01-31-2009 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusedskifan (Post 3078756)
I know a few of these questions have been raging around this board but I just would like these answered by people who really know the true answers.

Nadal's first Babolat Racquet model name? The black Aero what?

Nadal's current string and gauge?

Roddick's current string and gauge?

Is Roddick using a paint job?

Wow, this thread is full of conflicting an incorrect info, alongside some correct stuff. Here goes:

1. Nadal's first Babolat racquet was actually the Pure Drive, but I know this isn't what you were asking about. His first aero racquet (and the one he still uses under the paint job) is, as several have noted, the original AeroPro Drive. (Non-cortex version)

2. Nadal's current string (and the one he has always used) is still Duralast 15L. It is sometimes marked (NOT marketed) on his sets as Pro Hurricane Tour or Pro Hurricane Tour Nadal because he endorses that string, and Duralast isn't available in many regions. But it is still just Duralast. For the record, Duralast is a first generation poly and is not the same at all as actual Pro Hurricane Tour, nor is Duralast ever marketed or sold as Pro Hurricane Tour.

3. Roddick's current string is a Pro Hurricane Tour/VS gut hybrid, although he has used Luxilon in place of PHT at a few stops.

4. Yes, Roddick is still using a paint job. His current/new cosmetics cover up the same old extended Pure Drive (non-cortex), as the makeup, grommets, etc. will support. He has never used the Pure Drive Roddick or any of the newer Pure Drives. His weight, balance, etc. are all customized and matched by RPNY.

Hope this helps.

featherlight 02-02-2009 05:26 AM

nadal first babolat racket is the PD

featherlight 02-02-2009 05:26 AM

tvp900 02-02-2009 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by master_stringer_mitchy (Post 3079340)

That's right. I'd forgotten that Babolat has European connections that are much greater than here in the states.