Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   ****the Pure Storm LTD Support Group**** (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=245294)

blackdot_fit 02-12-2009 07:47 PM

****the Pure Storm LTD Support Group****
 
i've been seeing more and more threads concerning this great stick, so i figured, why not? also, while being great sticks in their own right, and bearing the same name, I don't feel that the Pure Storm and the Pure Storm Tour plays anything like the Pure Storm Limited.

I've only one of these so far! I look to get a couple more in the future, maybe in a smaller grip size. here's my current setup--

PSL standard length, 4 3/8 leather grip w/ Yonex Supergrap OG, strung with a full bed of Forten Sweet 16 and 54 lbs.

i'm not crazy about my current string, but i've also tried a 17 gauge BB Alu(m)/NXT Tour(x) hybrid, and a full bed of NXT 16. I liked both of these, but i may tension up to 60-62 lbs. next time. I'm not a rich dude, and i don't have my own stringer, so experimenting with string setups/tensions isn't a very worthwhile at the moment.

I've also found the PSL 18x20 string pattern to be much denser than other 18x20's! I came from the Dunlop M-Fil 200's, and the PSL seems to be less friendly to 16 gauge stringjobs. 15 gauge stringers need not apply! The bed is far too dense for such a thick string. even 16 gauge string can make you feel like you're swinging a paddleboard at the wrong tension.

anyway, these are my findings....and although i almost switched to the Pure Storm Tour, i'm glad that i stuck it out and realized the true qualities this stick has among all of the other 18x20 players sticks. have fun everybody, and please post your setups and/or pictures and experiences! the TT boards were very helpful to me when choosing a new stick, and i'm sure this will do the same for other perspective players.

peace!

-emil

rxblitzrx 02-12-2009 09:27 PM

I'm definitely a fan of the Pure Storm LTD. I've had mine for about two weeks now and I've been experimenting with strings. So far I've used:
1. NXT 16 @ 55 and 60 lbs
2. Prince Syn Gut Duraflex 17 @ 55 lbs

Lower tensions definitely work better for me. At 60 lbs I had a very dead stick in my hands, but at 55 I definitely got a more comfortable feel with increased dwell time, more control and just the right amount of power.

I just got off the court tonight after stringing up with PSGD 17 (55 lbs) and it was heavenly. This was my first experience with 17 guage strings and I'm already thinking of cutting the strings off and going with 50 lb tension or moving to 18 guage. At five bucks a pop, why not?

I agree with the OP about 16 guage strings. The 17 guage really livened up the string bed. The PSGD didn't feel as comfortable as NXT, of course, but with a rubber band dampener I was able to get the comfort back.

Kirko 02-12-2009 09:44 PM

I hear you! I've been using it since october. mine are leaded to 12.5 oz. lead at 3 & 9 o'clock / 4 5/8 grip / strung with prn.syn.gut original 17 GA. @ 60 lbs. I use unique or gamma gauze for the grip. many 18 X 20 pattern frames around, but the LTD. has the most solid feel no vibrations at all ! don't need a vib. dampner. which I really like ! has to be the best frame I've used since the 1988 head prestige. next time around I'm going to get it strung with uncoated gut 17 GA. what a terrifuc frame !!!

Kirko 02-12-2009 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rxblitzrx (Post 3126314)
I'm definitely a fan of the Pure Storm LTD. I've had mine for about two weeks now and I've been experimenting with strings. So far I've used:
1. NXT 16 @ 55 and 60 lbs
2. Prince Syn Gut Duraflex 17 @ 55 lbs

Lower tensions definitely work better for me. At 60 lbs I had a very dead stick in my hands, but at 55 I definitely got a more comfortable feel with increased dwell time, more control and just the right amount of power.

I just got off the court tonight after stringing up with PSGD 17 (55 lbs) and it was heavenly. This was my first experience with 17 guage strings and I'm already thinking of cutting the strings off and going with 50 lb tension or moving to 18 guage. At five bucks a pop, why not?

I agree with the OP about 16 guage strings. The 17 guage really livened up the string bed. The PSGD didn't feel as comfortable as NXT, of course, but with a rubber band dampener I was able to get the comfort back.

you're right 55 lbs. is the "Golden" tension for this frame like the older prestige. 1st reaction is its going to be loose it ain't its a great meld of power and control.

rxblitzrx 02-12-2009 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirko (Post 3126349)
you're right 55 lbs. is the "Golden" tension for this frame like the older prestige. 1st reaction is its going to be loose it ain't its a great meld of power and control.

Have you tried 50lbs? or 18 guage strings?

rxblitzrx 02-12-2009 10:56 PM

Kirko: did the lead have a noticeable change on the swingweight?

I'm really interested in trying some lead so I can hold up better against heavy hitters but without the low swingweight and my slow prep times, I'll never come around in time.

Kirko 02-12-2009 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rxblitzrx (Post 3126432)
Kirko: did the lead have a noticeable change on the swingweight?

I'm really interested in trying some lead so I can hold up better against heavy hitters but without the low swingweight and my slow prep times, I'll never come around in time.

thats why I add lead so I won't be shoved around by guys who hit hard & heavy. the racket comes off the shelf kinda light for me at least. all babolats seem to come that way (up to the player to determine the weight) why don't you just add lead at 12 o'clock for a start. I have no trouble preparing and hitting thru the ball with the lead I have on it.

Kirko 02-12-2009 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rxblitzrx (Post 3126430)
Have you tried 50lbs? or 18 guage strings?

No. I keep remembering how well the prestige played at 55 lbs. sure was glad I listened. maybe a few lbs. lighter might be better. 17 GA. seems perfect !

Ross K 02-13-2009 05:49 AM

Quote:

****the Pure Storm LTD Support Group****
My God!... "Support group"?... sounds like something affiliated with Alcoholics Anoymous or Narcotics Anonymous or some such organization?! :shock: ... Anyway... great frame by all accounts... the Babolat Alliance wishes this thread well blackdot! :)

R.

blackdot_fit 02-13-2009 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross K (Post 3126915)
My God!... "Support group"?... sounds like something affiliated with Alcoholics Anoymous or Narcotics Anonymous or some such organization?! :shock: ... Anyway... great frame by all accounts... the Babolat Alliance wishes this thread well blackdot! :)

R.

yes! i named it the "support group" for the reason that I kinda struggled with the frame at first, but I stuck with it, and i'm glad i did. and all of the other cool names for clubs were taken. :)

I also think the frame deserves it's own thread because the ratio between Wilson[K] 18x20's to Babolat 18x20's is like 40 to 1! Narrow it down to the PSL and it's more like 75 to 1! okay, that may be a bit of an exaggeration. or is it?

I will admit, though, that the PSL is very picky with strings/tensions. the wrong string combo and you may hate it.


-e

blackdot_fit 02-13-2009 07:37 AM

maybe a lead expert can chime in on this--

is it necessary to balance out the weight added to either half of the frame?

for example, if i add 10 grams to 3 & 9 o'clock, should i add the same 10 grams to the handle?

i agree that some may find the PSL a bit lightweighted. i want to toy around with lead setups more, but i hate unwrapping my grip/overgrip over and over again, you know?

-e

rxblitzrx 02-13-2009 10:27 AM

I'm also interested in trying out lead. I personally love the headlight balance and that's the main reason I got this stick. I used to play with the Pro Staff 7.5 (12 points HL) and this frame was the closest to that I could find. If I remember correctly, that Pro Staff was pretty picky about tension too.

blackdot: if you try some lead, can you post back here? I'm off to the local shop to pick up some Unique lead tape. I decided to go with this brand because they cut in 1/4" width. Babolat lead tape cuts in 1/2" width or 1" which is too fat for this stick. I'll post back after Sunday with my experience.

Kevo 02-13-2009 10:27 AM

I don't know that there is such a thing as a lead expert, but I don't see any reason for where the lead goes other than you like it there. Put it on the top, put it on the bottom, put in the middle, or all three. It's your frame, and lead tape is great because you can peel it off and put it somewhere else. Use it where you like it.

I like to add weight to the handle on my frames. I very rarely add weight to the head. I guess if I played at a higher level I might want a little more lead up top, but for now I didn't really see much of an advantage to it when I tried it.

rxblitzrx 02-13-2009 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevo (Post 3127619)
I don't know that there is such a thing as a lead expert, but I don't see any reason for where the lead goes other than you like it there. Put it on the top, put it on the bottom, put in the middle, or all three. It's your frame, and lead tape is great because you can peel it off and put it somewhere else. Use it where you like it.

I like to add weight to the handle on my frames. I very rarely add weight to the head. I guess if I played at a higher level I might want a little more lead up top, but for now I didn't really see much of an advantage to it when I tried it.

If you add weight to the handle, you're making the racquet more head-light? or just adding to the static weight?

BabolatPureStorm 02-13-2009 11:06 AM

I LOVE THE PURE STORM LTD!!!!!

My favorite racquet ever, and i've been playing for a while.

String Tension 63lbs = Love

db379 02-13-2009 01:05 PM

The pure storm ltd is a very nice stick. I demoed it a few weeks ago and decided to get one just recently. Stock it felt a bit too stiff and dead feeling for me, but with some lead at 3,9 and in the handle it was a very different beast. Nice flex and old school feel but with the added bonus of good maneuvrability. It reminded me a little of the PS 6.0 95 in tems of feel, nice solid and crisp with just the right amount of flex.

rooski 02-13-2009 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackdot_fit (Post 3127100)
maybe a lead expert can chime in on this--

is it necessary to balance out the weight added to either half of the frame?

for example, if i add 10 grams to 3 & 9 o'clock, should i add the same 10 grams to the handle?

i agree that some may find the PSL a bit lightweighted. i want to toy around with lead setups more, but i hate unwrapping my grip/overgrip over and over again, you know?

-e

Start by adding the weight to 3 and 9 only. The racket is ridiculously head light unless it's weighted up a bit mid hoop. The stock frame felt like bamboo to me. The PSL is a nice frame when customized properly.

BTW...try my string set up below in the PSL. It's very nice in a 18x20 frame. My other main string fav is SPPP 1.18 (a bit softer)

rxblitzrx 02-13-2009 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rooski (Post 3128349)
... The racket is ridiculously head light unless it's weighted up a bit mid hoop. The stock frame felt like bamboo to me. The PSL is a nice frame when customized properly.
...

The extreme headlight balance is my favorite part! I think the beauty of this racquet is that it still weighs in at 11.8 ounces with 1) 305 swingweight and 2) 8 points head light.

This equates to a super maneuverable racquet that doesn't launch like a n00b-cannon. The only downside is that I wish it were a little more stable on off-center shots. Does anyone know how to correct this, without increasing the swing-weight?

I think my only option, so far, is the lead at 3 and 9. Hopefully it won't make a noticeable difference in swing-weight.

Kevo 02-13-2009 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rxblitzrx (Post 3127707)
If you add weight to the handle, you're making the racquet more head-light? or just adding to the static weight?

Both. Mine are about 12.6oz now with overgrip and dampener. I added lead only under the butt cap. I tried some lead up top, but the extra power was unwelcome. I like to swing hard when I want to hit hard, and it just felt like too much. Seems just about right without the lead.

Kevo 02-13-2009 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rxblitzrx (Post 3128551)
The only downside is that I wish it were a little more stable on off-center shots. Does anyone know how to correct this, without increasing the swing-weight?

I think my only option, so far, is the lead at 3 and 9. Hopefully it won't make a noticeable difference in swing-weight.

Adding lead at 3 and 9 will be a noticeable increase in swing weight unless you add very little lead. I don't really find it all that unstable on off-center shots. The only time I really notice a significant effect is when the ball actually hits frame.

Try about a half ounce under the butt cap and see if that doesn't make it feel more solid.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse