Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   REALLY Ancient History (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=246089)

Virginia 02-17-2009 10:13 AM

REALLY Ancient History

I've just acquired a Wright & Ditson Tournament. Kuebler's book lists it as 1940 with a concave wedge and leather grip, but that's clearly wrong.

Mine has a convex wedge, a combed wooden grip and the same head shape as those really old racquets from the 1910's and 1920's.

Does anyone happen to know anything about this racquet?

I'll try and post some pics later on - my list of photo "to do's" is getting longer and longer and the trouble is finding time to get on to it. :evil:

plasma 02-17-2009 12:05 PM

Wood tennis guy is the local expert. I only have one frame from 1915, from the wilson meat packing plant. It has Thomas WIlson's full name written on it beautifully....the model??? the very pre-prostaff "Skokie"...or maybe that's just where it was made...??? I plan to regrip it and string it...play it and then post it...pls don't tease us Virginia, let's see pics of that Wright and Ditson!!!
I'd like to find the wright and ditson with the long wood handle and the metal round hoop with a perfect new pj...

treblings 02-22-2009 02:31 AM

There´s a W&D ad from 1894 in Jeanne Cherry´s Tennis Antiques and Collectibles. One of the rackets mentioned in that ad is a Petitt Tournament model.
you know how racquet makers would use the same names for their models over decades. for example there are numerous versions of the Slazenger Demon.

plasma 02-22-2009 08:27 PM

yeah they were really into that demon, panther, phantom stuff, kinda scary...slazenger were great racquets, didn't sell well even though Jimmy used a couple of models....that should tell you how good they were..the consistency of frames and technologies, even cosmetics and names over decades, is a discreet quality which even now draws us all together in thought, history and reflection that reaches beyond racquets

Virginia 02-22-2009 08:51 PM

I've just bought a Slazenger Demon - what a gorgeous racquet - all black - with gold pinstripes on the frame and the grip. How sexy is that?

plasma 02-22-2009 08:59 PM

you're teasing us again, we're hungry for pix!!!

Virginia 02-22-2009 10:28 PM

Well this time I have an excuse - I don't have it yet. I have seen several pics of it though and it will really blow your mind when you see it. :)

treblings 02-23-2009 01:06 PM

do you have an old demon with slightly flat top and fishtail grip? now that´s a pretty nice racquet. goes back to the 1890´s

plasma 03-11-2009 08:21 PM

i'd love a 100 year old fishtail demon, that's some sotheby's ***** right there (sorry to swear Virginia), also after a hazel's streamline, and yes I would hit with it.....gasp!