Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Talk Tennis Updates (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Donations ... a good idea (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=246259)

ced 02-18-2009 08:18 AM

Donations ... a good idea

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasma (Post 3141213)
please don't pay for anything, I have excellent racquets to donate, danielrauch72@yahoo.com, if its legit I'll even cover shipping...let's try to do something good for these kids future!

this forum should have a donation sub-section, for kids programs that need racquets. More people should help to promote this great sport out of the goodness of their heart.

This excellent idea appeared in the WANTED section in answer to an appeal for used racquets to help start a school tennis program.

WHY doesn't the forum establish a DONATION section to aid start-up programs and kids in need.

heycal 02-22-2009 09:58 PM

Why don't YOU start it? It's nice and all to suggest that someone do something like this, but 99 times out of 100, such "Someone should do something to help so-and-so" suggestions lead nowhere.

You really want something done in this world? Do it yourself. Anyone can make this suggestion and feel good about themselves, but if you want to really feel about yourself and get something accomplished at the same time, take the inititative instead of hoping someone else will.

esm 02-24-2009 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heycal (Post 3157636)
Why don't YOU start it? It's nice and all to suggest that someone do something like this, but 99 times out of 100, such "Someone should do something to help so-and-so" suggestions lead nowhere.

You really want something done in this world? Do it yourself. Anyone can make this suggestion and feel good about themselves, but if you want to really feel about yourself and get something accomplished at the same time, take the inititative instead of hoping someone else will.

did you get up on the wrong side of the bed? did it make you feel better by posting your reply?

the guy was suggesting to TT to create a Donation section seperately to For Sale and Wanted sections to make the whole donation idea more effective.

personally i think it is a good idea - one of the issues is to make sure the donations goes to the "right" places.

ced 02-24-2009 07:34 AM

Thanks esm ....

Quote:

Originally Posted by esm (Post 3161219)
did you get up on the wrong side of the bed? did it make you feel better by posting your reply?

the guy was suggesting to TT to create a Donation section seperately to For Sale and Wanted sections to make the whole donation idea more effective.

personally i think it is a good idea - one of the issues is to make sure the donations goes to the "right" places.

Thanks esm .... I do think that only TT can create sections and you explained exactly what I had in mind ..... I can't imagine what heycal had in mind.

heycal 02-24-2009 09:20 AM

Didn't mean to hit you too hard there, ced. Sorry. It's just that basically you're asking someone else to do something about those in need instead of doing something yourself. I realize TW is in an easier position than you to start such a program, but in the end, you're still asking them to do the work. And I'm guessing they probably won't, so it will ultimately just be another well-meaning suggestion that leads nowhere because no one steps up and takes the bull by the horns.

pfchang 02-25-2009 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heycal (Post 3161677)
Didn't mean to hit you too hard there, ced. Sorry. It's just that basically you're asking someone else to do something about those in need instead of doing something yourself. I realize TW is in an easier position than you to start such a program, but in the end, you're still asking them to do the work. And I'm guessing they probably won't, so it will ultimately just be another well-meaning suggestion that leads nowhere because no one steps up and takes the bull by the horns.

How does TW have to do the work? Ced is at least i'm pretty sure, unable to creat whole sections on the TT site. second of all, The subforum will most likely be monitored by people from the forum, and they will be the contributors as well. But this would be a great idea for the coaches who need extra frames for underpriveleged kids.

heycal 02-25-2009 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfchang (Post 3164701)
How does TW have to do the work? Ced is at least i'm pretty sure, unable to creat whole sections on the TT site. second of all, The subforum will most likely be monitored by people from the forum, and they will be the contributors as well. But this would be a great idea for the coaches who need extra frames for underpriveleged kids.

Fine, pfchang. Take me through the practicalities of how this donation program would actually work without TW doing a bunch of work. Maybe I'm missing something here...

ced 02-25-2009 11:03 AM

Don't be a horse's patoot

Quote:

Originally Posted by heycal (Post 3164727)
Fine, pfchang. Take me through the practicalities of how this donation program would actually work without TW doing a bunch of work. Maybe I'm missing something here...

It should work just like the WANTED section ...... schools, local playgrounds, etc. needing donated equipment would place a wanted thread .......IT would be a wanted section pertaining to 'free' exchanges in lieu of the regular WANTED and FOR SALE SECTIONS...... people willing to donate would see these in a comman place, assess their value and reply and hopefully donate.

If you did not want to be bothered you could easily skip altogether.

heycal 02-25-2009 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ced (Post 3164750)
It should work just like the WANTED section ...... schools, local playgrounds, etc. needing donated equipment would place a wanted thread .......IT would be a wanted section pertaining to 'free' exchanges in lieu of the regular WANTED and FOR SALE SECTIONS...... people willing to donate would see these in a comman place, assess their value and reply and hopefully donate.

If you did not want to be bothered you could easily skip altogether.

Hmm. You've almost convinced me... But I suspect TW might not go for it becuase it will require hidden work we don't know about or for other unkown reasons.

Which sorta leads me back to my original position...

Babb 03-12-2009 09:30 AM

Ironic that a donation thread had a semi-argument in it.

Jackie T. Stephens 03-15-2009 06:07 AM

Bad idea, people may lie about what they do with the money.

vincent_tennis 01-12-2010 06:30 PM

send them to the andre agassi foundation :D

pshulam 01-17-2010 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackie T. Stephens (Post 3210811)
Bad idea, people may lie about what they do with the money.

You just have to trust people sometimes in a similar way as we do in the classified ad section that these racquets for sale are legitimate and sellers will not just take your money and run.

cork_screw 01-28-2010 10:34 PM

First, I think there are bigger fish to fry besides building up the sport of tennis. Secondly, if you do want to increase the tennis body, I don't think people are being held back because there's no racquet available for little timmy. The racquets should be the last thing on that list.

charliefedererer 02-01-2010 12:56 PM

Tenacity is a program in the Boston area.
"Tenacity programs meet a critical need for safe, healthy, productive after-school, in-school and summer programs for urban youth. Tennis and fitness activities are the magnets drawing interest from kids who otherwise have few athletic outlets. These athletic activities are closely integrated with literacy programs to help build academic motivation and achievement." -http://www.tenacity.org/About_Overview.php

Tenacity accepts racquets donated and uses them in their programs.

I'm not sure if there are other regional tennis programs of this type, but maybe some will see this thread and post what they know.

(Just after I posted, I realized this thread is a continuation of an old one. Well, donating unused but perfectly good tennis racquets is still a good idea.)

cork_screw 02-16-2010 06:50 PM

I don't think the sport of tennis really relates to inner city or "problem youths." Tennis is seen as a preppy sport. Most of those youths would gravitate more towards sports like basketball anyways. I live in new york and I've seen this for myself. I've lived in the projects and been around. Also, with sports available to them like basketball, it doesn't really detract from negative behavior. You still see them selling drugs after they're done playing ball. And girls are still getting pregnant in their mid teens.

Also, I think it's harder to find tennis courts in those areas than it is to find a tennis racquet. How much does a racquet cost? You could probably pick one up at a garage sale for $5. How much is it to rent a court here in NYC, between $35-$65 / hr.

If you really want to see kids off the streets and being better citizens. Then you'll have to fix more things on a bigger scope than tennis.

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliefedererer (Post 4361320)
Tenacity is a program in the Boston area.
"Tenacity programs meet a critical need for safe, healthy, productive after-school, in-school and summer programs for urban youth. Tennis and fitness activities are the magnets drawing interest from kids who otherwise have few athletic outlets. These athletic activities are closely integrated with literacy programs to help build academic motivation and achievement." -http://www.tenacity.org/About_Overview.php

Tenacity accepts racquets donated and uses them in their programs.

I'm not sure if there are other regional tennis programs of this type, but maybe some will see this thread and post what they know.

(Just after I posted, I realized this thread is a continuation of an old one. Well, donating unused but perfectly good tennis racquets is still a good idea.)

AlpineCadet 02-19-2010 08:34 AM

(LOL @ heycal)

Irvin 01-07-2012 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heycal (Post 3157636)

It is really simeple for anyone to do. I will do it send all your rackets to me. LOL But how do you know I wont keep them for myself or sell them on the auction site? You don't.

Why not give them to the Goodwill? You get a tax deduction. You will be helping someone who needs a job. It probably isn't out of your way and you can do it anytime.

treblings 01-23-2012 11:35 PM

i do that in my club. if someone wants to get rid of his old rackets he gives them to me. some of them i collect, others get re-strung and gripped and find their way to youngsters and beginners in our local clubs.

Steve Huff 02-04-2012 03:28 PM

I got some rackets donated to a high school a few years back. I restrung and regripped them all for free, then gave them a bunch of tennis balls etc. I know others have tried to do it too, but there are those who ask for donations, then turn around and sell them. This makes it tough for people to ask for donations, and makes people sceptical about giving.