Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Head Graphite Edge question (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=250354)

Caloi 03-15-2009 07:52 AM

Head Graphite Edge question

Local shop has one of these for very cheap.
[IMG]https://www.tennis******.com/edge.jpg[/IMG]

replace ****** with M-E-N-A-C-E no dashes. :rolling eyes:

This is exactly what it looks like, even though this came from another site....

The only marks on the frame were the Head, and the Graphite Edge and an engraving on the side of the throat...four numbers, don't remember them.

I'm going to go buy it today, anything to look out for?

Bear with me, I'm learning more and more about racquets...total newb if you will.

Edit again: Appears to be the AMF with the yellow and red stripes, FWIW. Shop opens soon.

Also, they had a a Wilson Pro Staff "Original" 6.0 racquet cover. I know the racquets have a cult folowing, are the covers worth anything? THis thing looked mint.

plasma 03-15-2009 09:16 AM

graphite edge is a players racquet (performancewise) on par with the f200, R22, pc600, ps 85 and 200g. For some strange reason the 22's and edges only go for $20 or so, even though they offer splendid performance. What a sublime cheap date!!!...like a supermodel at the downstairs bus stop, fiddling with her map, with a puzzled look on her face...about to "check out Plasma's etchings" and sample the most authentic, healthy and sweetest falaffels ever....

does this racquet have a US flag near the throat??? pics pls....

Caloi 03-15-2009 12:52 PM

I went and picked it up.

The ONLY marking is the numbers near the throat 3032 or somethign like that. No stickers anywhere. I took a couple pictures but I'm off to a kid's b-day party. I'll get the photos hosted later. Also, for some reason it has a Prince butt cap and a Babolat leather grip.

Regardless, for $7.00 it's totally worth it to me.

racquetfreak 03-15-2009 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasma (Post 3211066)

i have not had dinner yet. that pic is simply droologenic! getchur hands off my food.

Rabbit 03-15-2009 05:51 PM

My old doubles partner played with this frame back when I played with the PK Silver Ace and then the ProStaff. The frames he had were mediums and that thing was a BEAST.

Caloi 03-16-2009 07:33 AM

Well, I never got the pictures hosted last night. After dealing with a kid's birthday party, ten -six and seven year olds running around, screaming...my head was about to explode.

Anyway, I wrapped the grip last night and am going to try to hit with it today or tomorrow.

Sounds like I didn't quite find a treasure but found a playable racquet. I'm pretty psyched to go hit it.

plasma 03-16-2009 11:05 AM

as possibly one of the ten greatest racquets ever I think that indeed you did find a treasure...

Caloi 03-16-2009 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasma (Post 3214640)
as possibly one of the ten greatest racquets ever I think that indeed you did find a treasure...

I absolutely love this thing! I just got back and still a bit sweaty, so the endorphines are running high at the moment. I've got to tell you, I will be on the lookout for at least one more of these.

Not sure what strings are in this thing but I was surprised at how well I could get spin on the ball. It really plows through the strike zone and feels very stable! These strings are a light guage black string w/ zero markings. I figured they were old so I'll need to restring it sometime.

So, back to classic racquet talk, where would I find the stringing pattern/instructions for this racquet?

Remember this thing has absolutely zero markings on it other than the factory "HEAD" and "Graphite Edge", no stickers, no specs, etc.

I researched and found it stock at roughly 12.8 oz, I did the balance yesterday on my dining table and came up with 16pts head light. Seemed wrong but measured the balance at 11.5". (13.5-11.5=2/.125=16)Did I do this wrong?

Last but not least, it's got a Prince buttcap. Not sure why but I guess it doesn't matter much unless they weighted it. i don't have a scale to weight this particular one.

jorel 03-16-2009 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caloi (Post 3214942)
I absolutely love this thing! I just got back and still a bit sweaty, so the endorphines are running high at the moment. I've got to tell you, I will be on the lookout for at least one more of these.

Not sure what strings are in this thing but I was surprised at how well I could get spin on the ball. It really plows through the strike zone and feels very stable! These strings are a light guage black string w/ zero markings. I figured they were old so I'll need to restring it sometime.

So, back to classic racquet talk, where would I find the stringing pattern/instructions for this racquet?

Remember this thing has absolutely zero markings on it other than the factory "HEAD" and "Graphite Edge", no stickers, no specs, etc.

I researched and found it stock at roughly 12.8 oz, I did the balance yesterday on my dining table and came up with 16pts head light. Seemed wrong but measured the balance at 11.5". (13.5-11.5=2/.125=16)Did I do this wrong?

Last but not least, it's got a Prince buttcap. Not sure why but I guess it doesn't matter much unless they weighted it. i don't have a scale to weight this particular one.

they only go for about $10 on the bay

plasma 03-16-2009 01:56 PM

I TOLD YOU, that you scored!!!

Deuce 03-16-2009 10:24 PM

Is the finish on it matte or glossy?

One thing to watch out for are the grommets. On these old racquets, the grommets tend to dry out over time (unless they were kept in a humid environment, I suppose...).

Don't be surprised if the grommets disintegrate and turn to powder when you remove the strings.
If that happens, you won't find a Graphite Edge grommet strip - so the best thing to do would be to buy a grommet strip for a current racquet (18x20 would be best), and cut the strip into individual grommets.
It'll be a bit of a pain to string that way - but this is one frame which is well worth any extra effort.

MichaelChang 03-17-2009 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caloi (Post 3211603)
Regardless, for $7.00 it's totally worth it to me.

Are you saying you paid only 7 bucks for the edge? damn it. :twisted::)

Caloi 03-17-2009 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelChang (Post 3217890)
Are you saying you paid only 7 bucks for the edge? damn it. :twisted::)

That's what I'm saying!

Finally got a picture this morning.

P.S. THanks for the above heads up regarding the grommet strip. I'll keep an eye out if/when I go to restring.

Now, will this work for restringing this racquet? It's the closest thing I could find to the Edge:

GRAPHITE MASTER 55 - 72 19'M - 17'C 18M X 19C 9T - 8,10B 9B 9T 6T - 7B

That came off the Klipper site.

Caloi 03-18-2009 12:13 PM

One quick bump to see if anyone knows if the above stringing method will work on my Edge. I can't seem to find anything specific to the Edge, and the stringing pattern on the racquet looks very strange to me. There are multiple crosses toward the throat, almost looks made up if you will.

Any insight appreciated!

retrowagen 03-18-2009 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caloi (Post 3222022)
One quick bump to see if anyone knows if the above stringing method will work on my Edge. I can't seem to find anything specific to the Edge, and the stringing pattern on the racquet looks very strange to me. There are multiple crosses toward the throat, almost looks made up if you will.

Any insight appreciated!

String tension 55-65 lbs., pattern 18m x 19c, start (loop) H, mains skip 9T & 9H, tie off mains 6T.

or consult http://www.sptennis.com/patterns/FramesHead.html

Caloi 03-18-2009 12:53 PM

Thank you very much. I appreciate that!

Bookmarked for future reference!

I can tell you that's NOT what was done to my racquet. :shrug:

plasma 03-18-2009 01:30 PM

this is the "silverback" graphite tour....no twaron like the txe but much stiffer than the edge...

81 square inch silverback
he has no natural enemies, only other marauding males,
with all the sweatshop models on in the jungle his pride has taken scrapes,
yet younger bigger males are not quick to challenge him and respect his proven power,
no soft touchy sensetive side like his cousin the graphite edge

Caloi 03-18-2009 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasma (Post 3222379)

this is the "silverback" graphite tour....no twaron like the txe but much stiffer than the edge...

81 square inch silverback
he has no natural enemies, only other marauding males,
with all the sweatshop models on in the jungle his pride has taken scrapes,
yet younger bigger males are not quick to challenge him and respect his proven power,
no soft touchy sensetive side like his cousin the graphite edge

That thing needs some court rash to be considered a warrior of the jungle. ;)

jimbo333 03-18-2009 04:50 PM

And a true warrior would be naked, not wearing something from the "Wilson" tribe:):)

pshulam 03-18-2009 05:43 PM

Quote:

1X $7.00 Head Graphite Edge (Looking for another!)
You got a better bargain than I did. I paid $16 for one. It had brand new string, multi-filament 16g, nevertheless.