Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Travel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Any GOOD college tennis camps? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=254724)

cadillac303 04-07-2009 05:44 PM

Any GOOD college tennis camps?

I think one of the best ways to expose a junior to college coaches, is to send them to college camps. However, it seems as if, for advanced players (those who have a chance to play division I college tennis) there are no quality college tennis camps?

Let me know your feelings on this subject.

Thanks.

baseline08thrasher 04-11-2009 10:03 PM

I have seen the UCLA one advertised all over the place.

But you will have much better luck going to a hardcore tennis academy.

The mindset and mentality of the players is so much more competitive, and no one likes loosing.

If you have a chance to play at that level in college, then you might as well find a really good academy.

Usually not in a college though.

Usually at some club with crappy dorms. =]

But if you really love tennis, then you should be fine with it.

I went to Weil Tennis Academy for 2 weeks and it was pretty well structured.

duso 04-12-2009 09:13 AM

Within the United States, I believe that Tyler Junior College has distinguished itself as a top school in tennis, both instruction and competition. Coaches Peterson and Kettelson are tremendous judges of talent, and I believe would provide you with a realistic assessment of your potential. Try and get to their competitive camp, or try and arrange a few days at TJC. Other suggestion would be to hook up in Ithaca with coach Dave Geatz, and get his opinion. This wouldn't be recruitment, and again he has a tremendous eye for reality in players. Its money well invested. Both have camps that allow this.

cadillac303 04-12-2009 10:22 PM

duso I find that hard to believe. I don't think you read the words 'FOR ADVANCED PLAYERS' in my question.

I'm afraid it might be the truth that hardcore academies are the only answer.
Weil sounds like a good one, always wanted to send a player there.

duso 04-13-2009 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillac303 (Post 3313347)
duso I find that hard to believe. I don't think you read the words 'FOR ADVANCED PLAYERS' in my question.

I'm afraid it might be the truth that hardcore academies are the only answer.
Weil sounds like a good one, always wanted to send a player there.

What is considered an advanced player differs greatly. It really isn't a mystery why we have so many foreign players on U.S. teams. Over the years I have personally witnessed kids over reach in the university they selected. I was only suggesting that these are people who can give an honest and realistic assessment of the player. Take a trip on the Wisconsin team, where is Mark Deerburger? Was he an advanced player? Do you see Peter Ammmendson's or Ward Bortz's name there. There is reality and ego.

SportCampTravel 06-05-2013 08:38 PM

Hi there! Have you checked out Florida State University's program? I have trained there myself and know the program very well. I can tell you it is just as intense as an academy and the daily routine is structured very similarly. Shoot me an email at usacampagent@gmail.com and I can tell you more about it and perhaps some tennis academies as well that would be a good fit.

Costagirl 06-07-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillac303 (Post 3298717)
I think one of the best ways to expose a junior to college coaches, is to send them to college camps. However, it seems as if, for advanced players (those who have a chance to play division I college tennis) there are no quality college tennis camps?

Let me know your feelings on this subject.

Thanks.

I hear from college coaches ALL the time they wish they had players with more international exposure. That's why Costa del Tennis put together camps for high school and college players - instruction and international match play opps for kids to experience and actually get acquainted with prior to meeting so many international competitors on their own soil. There are SOOO many international players winning US scholarships & US college tennis now!!!

lightthestorm 06-07-2013 07:57 PM

Just graduated 11th grade so I have some experience. I'm in the Southerns, so...
I've been to different camps, but went to Rod Ray (Wofford), Josh Goffi's Gamecock Camp, and Nike Furman Camp.

Rod Ray is a really good coach, enjoyed the camp. It's a close second to my personal favorite, the Evert Academy.