Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Anybody try Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=256368)

mikeler 04-17-2009 06:49 AM

Anybody try Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA?

I had the 60 minute IPA a few times, but I had the pleasure of trying the 90 minute IPA at a wine bar recently. For some reason, I started getting the giggles at the start of my 2nd beer. It was at that point when I looked at the alcohol content of 9%! Delicious beer, but be careful...

jrod 04-17-2009 06:52 AM

yep, it's approaching the alcohol content of some belgium brews.

mtommer 04-17-2009 07:14 AM

Wow, I'm really surprised you were able to drink the 60. Did you spill a lot trying to find the drinking sweet spot? I'm sure you'll have trouble with the 90 too so next time you should just go ahead and move up to the 100. You'll be amazed at how much easier the 100 is to drink. :twisted::)

FloridaAG 04-17-2009 07:24 AM

Dogfish Head is an excellent brewery - the 90 minute is excellent; the India Brown is also excellent.

Try some Lagunitas brew - Copper Ale, the IPA and the Pils are all killer, similarly excellent and probably my 2 favorite US breweries.

bad_call 04-17-2009 08:19 AM

IPAs? serious beer sampler here. :)

of the IPAs Dogfish is very good but not my first pick for the money. Lagunitas is a little weak. Stone is very good. Sweetwater has a nice flavor somewhat grapefruity. Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA also good and priced nice too. At present Titan IPA is tops on my list (recently shipping to CFL :) ).

btw - there are so many good microbrews that don't ship to Central Florida. during your travels sampling some local IPAs makes for a more enjoyable outing, as i have experienced.

mikeler 04-17-2009 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bad_call (Post 3328067)
IPAs? serious beer sampler here. :)

of the IPAs Dogfish is very good but not my first pick for the money. Lagunitas is a little weak. Stone is very good. Sweetwater has a nice flavor somewhat grapefruity. Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA also good and priced nice too. At present Titan IPA is tops on my list (recently shipping to CFL :) ).

btw - there are so many good microbrews that don't ship to Central Florida. during your travels sampling some local IPAs makes for a more enjoyable outing, as i have experienced.

I'm not a big fan of the Stone IPA. My 2nd favorite IPA is Long Hammer. Where can I get your avatar's Titan IPA in central Florida?

SlapShot 04-17-2009 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 3328326)
I'm not a big fan of the Stone IPA. My 2nd favorite IPA is Long Hammer. Where can I get your avatar's Titan IPA in central Florida?

My current ladyfriend brought over some Long Hammer the other night - it's fantastic.

I'm actually homebrewing an IPA right now - it's in the primary fermenter until Sunday, then it gets transferred and dry hopped for 2 weeks, and then into bottles. :)

bad_call 04-17-2009 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 3328326)

ABC recently started stocking a couple brew styles from GDB including Titan. good stuff...suggest moderation with those highly hopped brews.

btw - one 6 pak of Stone is enough for me...unless they are giving it away. Sierra Nevada is better and cheaper too.

bad_call 04-17-2009 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlapShot (Post 3328390)
My current ladyfriend brought over some Long Hammer the other night - it's fantastic.

I'm actually homebrewing an IPA right now - it's in the primary fermenter until Sunday, then it gets transferred and dry hopped for 2 weeks, and then into bottles. :)

great!! let us know how they turn out. btw - was it easy to get hops and other supplies?

mikeler 04-17-2009 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlapShot (Post 3328390)

My brother in law does the home brew thing. He has created some fantastic beers over the years.

SlapShot 04-17-2009 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bad_call (Post 3328800)
great!! let us know how they turn out. btw - was it easy to get hops and other supplies?

I just buy the kits from Middle-West Brewing Supplies located here in Mpls. My ex bought me the setup for Christmas....I've done 2 batches so far.

One thing is for certain - the pleasure in making beer is only surpassed by the pleasure in consuming beer. :)

siata94 05-08-2009 12:36 PM

also not a fan of Stone IPA, a waste of a really nice bottle :-). Haven't tried many yet but my fav so far is Racer5 by Bear Republic and their Red Rocket is nice too. Will have to try the others.

Sorta hijack but I'm liking Samuel Smith Imperial Stout. Comments?

mikeler 05-11-2009 03:55 AM

Tried the Titan IPA this weekend. I must say, bad_call has an appropriate username for his taste in beers. :) Not a big fan of the flavor.

bad_call 05-11-2009 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 3406743)
Tried the Titan IPA this weekend. I must say, bad_call has an appropriate username for his taste in beers. :) Not a big fan of the flavor.

:) cannot be a girly man to drink the Titan. it will destroy your tongue. :p hopps lovers really like that sort of brew. suggest u alternate between less intense brews...learned this from experience. :mrgreen:

bad_call 05-11-2009 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siata94 (Post 3399862)
also not a fan of Stone IPA, a waste of a really nice bottle :-). Haven't tried many yet but my fav so far is Racer5 by Bear Republic and their Red Rocket is nice too. Will have to try the others.

Sorta hijack but I'm liking Samuel Smith Imperial Stout. Comments?

been a good while since switching to hoppier brews, but a superb brew IMO. also the Oatmeal Stout is delicious.

bad_call 05-11-2009 06:55 AM

mikeler - also had the Denver Pale Ale from same makers of Titan. too bad it's not available in our neighborhood. nice taste with less hopps intensity.

siata94 05-11-2009 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bad_call (Post 3407091)
been a good while since switching to hoppier brews, but a superb brew IMO. also the Oatmeal Stout is delicious.

I've tried the Oatmeal Stout and altho I liked it, I much prefer the IS over the OS. At $10 a 4 pack, I've been slow to try the rest of the SS line and kept going back to the IS.

Another I keep going back to is Salvator Double Bock.

TheJRK 05-11-2009 01:10 PM

They had one beer, it was on their "special" menu. I can't remember what it was called but it was 15% alcohol. :shock:

But yeah, I've had the 90. I usually drink the 60 though since I think it tastes better. Also, the crab soup is money at Dogfish Head restaurant.

bad_call 05-11-2009 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siata94 (Post 3408166)
I've tried the Oatmeal Stout and altho I liked it, I much prefer the IS over the OS. At $10 a 4 pack, I've been slow to try the rest of the SS line and kept going back to the IS.

Another I keep going back to is Salvator Double Bock.

that's why i don't buy SS. will have to check out the Salvator. is it a smooth brew? i may wait til it cools down some before getting a Bock tho. like the lighter brews like Pale Ale and such when temps are in the 90's.

siata94 05-11-2009 03:47 PM

at least Salvator is only $8 a sixpack. For hot weather, how about Lost Coast's Great White. If you like Hoegaarden, I think you'll like GW much more.