Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Is this unsportsmanlike? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=258112)

Homey 04-27-2009 11:26 AM

Is this unsportsmanlike?

I want you guys advice on whether I should hit a certain shot or not.

I sometimes struggle against serve and volleyers, and people who come to net in general. I have a hard time passing them consistently.

However, recently I have been hitting right at them.
I am not talking about overheads, I am talking about groundstrokes that I hit from inside the baseline.

For example: the server serves and comes in to volley. I return the first shot at their feet. They then pop up their second shot somewhere between the service line and the baseline. I then hit my next shot DIRECTLY at them with a great deal of pace. 90% of the time they are unable to hit the next shot, and sometimes it actually hits them in the body.

Does anybody see anything wrong with this? I feel bad about going right at them, but I can always aim better if I have a target like a person up there. I struggle when I try to hit an open SPOT versus an OPPONENT.

I want you guys honest opinion on whether this is unsportsman like, or is perfectly legitimate.

Thanks!

heartman 04-27-2009 11:34 AM

Fair game

I'd say what you're doing is fine. Keep your shoulders down and swing through the shot - right done the middle takes away any angle your opponent might have, and makes it tough to get good strings on the ball.

I'd say go for it - and don't apologize if there's contact. 'tis what it is.

slick 04-27-2009 11:37 AM

Not at all. What you describe is fair game and an acceptable strategy. It is similar to taking a second serve early in doubles and crushing it at the net guy. The pros do it and so should you. Keeps the net guy honest.

Crushing a point blank overhead at a net guy isn't too cool especially if the net guy is already bailing on the shot. I never get upset when this happens though, it's only a tennis ball. Try getting hit with a 100mph lacrosse ball or hockey puck. THAT HURTS!

boilerfan 04-27-2009 11:40 AM

Definately not unsportsmanlike if they are serving and volleying. Especially if you are aiming at their feet.

If you are dropshoting a baseliner and then trying to drill them knowing they would never venture to the net is a bit more unsportsmanlike, but more annoying than unsportsmanlike in my book.

JavierLW 04-27-2009 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homey (Post 3361457)

I sometimes struggle against serve and volleyers, and people who come to net in general. I have a hard time passing them consistently.

I am not talking about overheads, I am talking about groundstrokes that I hit from inside the baseline.

For example: the server serves and comes in to volley. I return the first shot at their feet. They then pop up their second shot somewhere between the service line and the baseline. I then hit my next shot DIRECTLY at them with a great deal of pace. 90% of the time they are unable to hit the next shot, and sometimes it actually hits them in the body.

Does anybody see anything wrong with this? I feel bad about going right at them, but I can always aim better if I have a target like a person up there. I struggle when I try to hit an open SPOT versus an OPPONENT.

I want you guys honest opinion on whether this is unsportsman like, or is perfectly legitimate.

Thanks!

It's definately not unsportsmanlike.

But unwise at some levels because the ball will come back easily especially against older guys with quick hands at the net. (Im talking about your putaway shots)

It sounds like you probably just dont have enough experience to identify the open shot so like you say it's easier to just go at a target.

I had that issue a few years ago as well but Ive been taking these really great doubles drills where they put us in doubles situations and Ive been seeing the open spot better thru repetition.

It's just a warning because I go thru this in spurts. I get used to hitting it at people when I get away with it until I meet someone who can easily handle it and then it becomes really difficult. It's just better to find open court, when you watch even good 3.5 players (especially older guys) they just seem to have a knack for putting the ball in places where it's not coming back even if the ball is moving slow.

maverick66 04-27-2009 11:52 AM

its called winning. is winning unsportsmanlike? as long as your not hitting him in the head its all fair game. if he gets hit its his own faul. his racket should have been up.

slick 04-27-2009 11:53 AM

^^^^
So true. I sometimes play with an older guy who subs in when we are depserate for someone to play. He can't serve, his groundstrokes are horrid (slices everything) and he can't run 2 steps, but, if you hit it anywhere he can reach it at net it is GONE. His racquet is giagantic weights about 8ozs and despite really slow feet he has very quick and incredibly sure hands. You can crushit at him from the service line and he will put it away most of the time. Amazing.

Steady Eddy 04-27-2009 12:51 PM

But they're playing serve and volley, so you hit it right to them? This gives them trouble? I don't see why they'd be a S&Ver is they can't even handle a ball right at them. Anyway, if it works, go for it. If it's a female player, (or even a male), and they say, "Hey, no fair!", then don't do it. But after this point whatever you're playing, it isn't tennis.

Steady Eddy 04-27-2009 12:52 PM

Double post.

AndrewD 04-27-2009 01:38 PM

Quote:

I want you guys honest opinion on whether this is unsportsmanlike, or is perfectly legitimate.

It's a very limited tactic. If I come to net and I know you're going to hit the ball at me I'll be very prepared for your shot. Might get tagged a couple of times but, end of the day, you're keeping me in the point by hitting my weak first volley straight back at me.

Also, if you're good enough to hit a dipping return at the feet of the server you must be good enough to lob over them or hit a passing shot.

I'm also guessing that your opponents aren't particularly good. A decent volleyer is not going to miss 90% of shots hit directly at them. Sure, it's a lot tougher when your first volley lands inside the service box but, even then, you're still in with a chance. If you hit that volley between the service line and the baseline those odds go up. If you know where the return is going, those odds increase even more.

nhat8121 04-27-2009 01:52 PM

I have this tendency to hit right at people too

I think from practicing that's unable to change in real game

coyfish 04-27-2009 02:02 PM

Its only unsportsmanlike if you have a clear winner but choose to hit it right at the opponent.

Other than that its a legit way to win the point.

zohnay 04-27-2009 02:03 PM

No way, that's fair all the way.

It's just unsportsmanlike if you volley and slam their face on purpose :P

Other than that its all good. :D

ttbrowne 04-27-2009 07:48 PM

It's fair.

I used to just tee off on the ball but now I'll try to get it at the right hip. That is a tough place for anyone to get a racket on and it's always a defensive shot if they do.

Sliceboy2 04-28-2009 03:16 AM

If he is cocky enough setting up to try to return your slam, go for it, its valid. If he is bailing out, turns his back and basically concedes the point, just try to avoid hitting him.

LuckyR 04-28-2009 06:47 AM

Quote:

Thanks!

Well, you try to make the distinction between overheads and the groundstrokes you are using, but hitting sitters from near the service line is basically the same thing. Congrats on the great returns of serve that are winning the points for you. How you dispose of the putaway is up to you. Most would probably agree that you are going to get more lucky returns of your putaway when you hit the ball at folks than away from folks, but it is your choice.

charliefedererer 04-28-2009 07:09 AM

This is a very acceptable tactic against a net rusher. The single best place to aim the ball is at his right hip (presuming he is right handed) as this is an awkward place to volley from. (Of course if you notice either his forehand or backhand volley is particularly weak, that is the side to go to.)

Cindysphinx 04-28-2009 11:16 AM

It's fair, but I wish I hadn't developed this habit.

When I have a sitter at net, I tend to volley it at the feet of the net player rather than the open court. I don't know why; I just like a target. Trouble is, now I'm playing better players and I cannot seem to break this habit. And they are more likely to get the ball back, so I lose the point.

jrod 04-28-2009 11:21 AM

The higher the level, the less reliable this strategy is. It's certainly fair, but I personally wouldn't use it unless all other options available to me were lower percentage.

heninfan99 05-07-2009 06:01 AM

This was covered in another post but to recap:
It's a wonderful tactic and works especially well against frail older women. ALWAYS hit a person when possible. You will win 90% of your points.
Also, let out a loud grunt or howl as you do this. It adds to the intimidation factor. Then pump your fist in the air immediately after winning the point.