Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Jan Silva back in USA (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=259515)

sureshs 05-05-2009 09:12 AM

Jan Silva back in USA

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tenni...4-phenom_N.htm

PimpMyGame 05-05-2009 09:23 AM

Sounds like a real mess. I feel bad for those kids.

tennisdad65 05-05-2009 09:24 AM

poor kid :( . Train daily at 7 years?!
living his parents dream and losing his own childhood.

BradBaughman 05-05-2009 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisdad65 (Post 3390058)

Not True! have been able to get to know Scott a little over the phone and the whole experience has been for the childs benefit and talking with him ive never perceived it was for him or his wife ,As for his parents wanting the best and dreaming he will accomplish great things nothing wrong with that , some parents wants doctors, dentist, business men, ect. their wanting tennis and gave up everything for their kid not bad!!

sureshs 05-05-2009 09:37 AM

I am curious whether Scott's only source of income was the funding from M-glou? In other words, he was dependent on his son for his livelihood? Was he in a better position before he moved to France (i.e., earning by himself)? If so, it is OK as he would have given up his job for the experiment and now trying to find one again. But I don't like it if Jan starts thinking that he must support his dad from now on.

I also find the divorce disturbing. For a family which claimed tennis for their son was so important that they had to uproot themselves and move abroad, the divorce kind of contradicts it.

PimpMyGame 05-05-2009 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradBaughman (Post 3390078)
Not True! have been able to get to know Scott a little over the phone and the whole experience has been for the childs benefit and talking with him ive never perceived it was for him or his wife ,As for his parents wanting the best and dreaming he will accomplish great things nothing wrong with that , some parents wants doctors, dentist, business men, ect. their wanting tennis and gave up everything for their kid not bad!!

So it's ok to give up everything for one kid, even if you have 3?

Like it or not the boy will blame himself if his parents divorce, I think they put way too much pressure on him doing what they did. Even if that pressure is only perceived in Jan's mind.

IMO there was always something a little fishy about this whole gig, I'm not exactly sure why they would want to make this move when Jan was so young. I know that moving potentially world class kids on is nothing new but consider Andy Murray. He left for Spain at about age 14 and until then was playing in Scotland and (I think) England, which are the two of the worst places in Europe to be incubating young talent.

Given the news about the split I wonder how much was for the kid and how much was to fulfil his parent's dreams (or even how much was to breathe life into a flagging relationship).

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER 05-05-2009 09:48 AM

This has been hashed over time and again, with head waggers outnumbering the head nodders 10 to 1.

Turning around and driving by the squashed remains two or three times is about what I expect from the posters here.
There are numerous life lessons to be found, but only in silent introspection-
not USA Today.

What a fiasco and circus this has turned out to be- Anyone STILL supporting the motives or the sad outcome would have to be French.

sureshs 05-05-2009 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PimpMyGame (Post 3390093)
Given the news about the split I wonder how much was for the kid and how much was to fulfil his parent's dreams (or even how much was to breathe life into a flagging relationship).

That was my point too. I hope the whole gig was not a paid international romantic vacation for Mom and Dad to rekindle the old fire in their relationship.

PimpMyGame 05-05-2009 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 3390129)
That was my point too. I hope the whole gig was not a paid international romantic vacation for Mom and Dad to rekindle the old fire in their relationship.

Yeah I noticed you posted whilst I was posting so we kind of crossed. Whatever anyone's take on this is, whe whole thing was a huge gamble and the major losers will be the kids.

By the way, I love the sig.

goober 05-05-2009 10:32 AM

I am still amazed that this kid warrants headlines in USA today.

Too bad about the divorce.:(

ajs72us 05-05-2009 11:14 AM

Poor lil kid

Everyone was telling them they were crazy and now this proves it. I mean there a ton of kids that were told they were the next big thing and never lived up to it. Hello the next mr. dokic.

BradBaughman 05-05-2009 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PimpMyGame (Post 3390093)
So it's ok to give up everything for one kid, even if you have 3?

Like it or not the boy will blame himself if his parents divorce, I think they put way too much pressure on him doing what they did. Even if that pressure is only perceived in Jan's mind.

IMO there was always something a little fishy about this whole gig, I'm not exactly sure why they would want to make this move when Jan was so young. I know that moving potentially world class kids on is nothing new but consider Andy Murray. He left for Spain at about age 14 and until then was playing in Scotland and (I think) England, which are the two of the worst places in Europe to be incubating young talent.

i would be the first to say something if i knew or sensed there were wrong motives ,, one thing ive learned is getting the whole story ,hopefully from the source itself then you can come up with a sound judgement of the situation , i will personally try and help out if i can with advise cause when i talked to the man he was all about his kids and how they were gonna make it , .

When i first read the USA today story i thought ill ,but after talking on the phone i have a different view of them, I just hope they reunite although most on here will show that American attitude of hoping they fail so we can say "told you so" I wont be that guy

sureshs 05-05-2009 11:42 AM

^^^ You have a point. When Gloria Connors used to tell her son that he should view his junior opponent as someone who is stealing his dinner, or when the struggling Mike Agassi put a racquet over his son's crib, people would have made fun of them. Same for Richard Williams when he decided not to have his daughters play juniors. etc etc. Those who win at the end will be remembered, the losers will be criticized as child abusers. Happens in academics, gymnastics, ballet, whatever. A doctor forcing his daughter to think about practising medicine since she is a kid is no different, only we don't usually scrutinize these cases.

BradBaughman 05-05-2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 3390457)
^^^ You have a point. When Gloria Connors used to tell her son that he should view his junior opponent as someone who is stealing his dinner, or when the struggling Mike Agassi put a racquet over his son's crib, people would have made fun of them. Same for Richard Williams when he decided not to have his daughters play juniors. etc etc. Those who win at the end will be remembered, the losers will be criticized as child abusers. Happens in academics, gymnastics, ballet, whatever. A doctor forcing his daughter to think about practising medicine since she is a kid is no different, only we don't usually scrutinize these cases.

i have the same case my son is so driven and we have been criticized about him yet there are those who have spent time with us and were amazed at him getting up on his own to workout while i was still sleeping or at work , but from the outside it looks like the kid has to do these things or else ,not the case, anyways these kids are different and special and must be allowed to flourish.

eeytennis 05-05-2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisdad65 (Post 3390058)

Living his parents dream? Perhaps, but that kid is very fortunate. Tennis is so competitive nowaday and if he is able to train daily then that's great, especially if he loves the game. My only concern would be him burning out, but if he is dedicated and really loves the game then that probably won't happen.

TennisCoachFLA 05-05-2009 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eeytennis (Post 3390785)
Living his parents dream? Perhaps, but that kid is very fortunate. Tennis is so competitive nowaday and if he is able to train daily then that's great, especially if he loves the game. My only concern would be him burning out, but if he is dedicated and really loves the game then that probably won't happen.

Won't burnout? Sounds like the entire family has burnt out.

3 years ago Jan was a happy little kid dancing around the court, living in sunny CA, mom was the tennis pro, dad had a job, mom and dad together, older brother enjoying his friends.

Now he is throwing tantrums, mom and dad are split, dad has no job, they are back in CA during the worst economy in 70 years, and his older brother most likely has a ton of resentment for having to leave in the first place.

Not sure how that experiment does not go down as a total disaster.

wilsondude 05-05-2009 05:06 PM

does he have any recent videos?
I wanna see this kid play now

eeytennis 05-06-2009 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisCoachFLA (Post 3391409)
Won't burnout? Sounds like the entire family has burnt out.

3 years ago Jan was a happy little kid dancing around the court, living in sunny CA, mom was the tennis pro, dad had a job, mom and dad together, older brother enjoying his friends.

Now he is throwing tantrums, mom and dad are split, dad has no job, they are back in CA during the worst economy in 70 years, and his older brother most likely has a ton of resentment for having to leave in the first place.

Not sure how that experiment does not go down as a total disaster.

i wasn't aware that he was already throwing tantrums...where do you get this information. i guess my main point was that, he is very fortunate to have people who are willing to work with him as much as they do. Many young tennis players don't have the resources to train everyday, and it's that much harder for them to go pro. Jan, is very lucky. Although, kind of like you said, his family's issues could really affect things for him negatively.

TsongaEatingAPineappleLol 05-06-2009 04:10 AM

Silva's going to suck when he's older.

scraps234 05-06-2009 05:08 AM

if he burns out but i think he will be good if he doesnt burn out