Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   drama & women's tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=262742)

alice301 05-22-2009 01:02 PM

drama & women's tennis
 
hello. caughtcha peeking. you guys love to mock it, but you know (and i know) that you just plain love it, too.

Topaz 05-22-2009 01:59 PM

You know, I have to disagree that the drama is just on the women's side (or even always present on a women's team).

My DC team...totally drama free. Everybody confirms. Everybody shows up. Great bunch of ladies. Sometimes people are late, but that is because of the bridge, and when it does happen, everybody gets on the phone to help out, and we even had one woman drive up, jump out of the car, and toss her keys to another player (who didn't have to play due to a default), and run out onto court while the other player parked her car for her.

Indoor team...again, drama free. I believe this is due to the great organization of the two captains. Great camaraderie, too. I'm am *so* happy to be on this team, I can't even say!

Outdoor team...ok, yes, drama here. At least, last year there was, and it was mostly due to one member. So, I didn't captain this year, nobody stepped up to replace me, and I'm now on another team.

Now, I do think that many people come on here and make those assumptions simply because Cindy is posting them. Should I post every time a match goes smoothly? No! How boring!!!

I have seen horrible sportsmanship and rudeness from guys playing USTA as well...maybe they are just not as prone to posting it on a message board?

shell 05-22-2009 02:41 PM

I've never seen the "drama" that is described in some of these threads. I've never seen any involvement of captians due to anything. All issues have been handled on the court - if there were any issues to begin with.

I guess this is why I post my posts. It is hard for me to believe that league play is a difficult as it is sometimes described.

And yes, I am a woman who plays USTA league tennis.

Topaz 05-22-2009 02:53 PM

I was thinking more about this, and why Cindy's team (and opponents) seem to be the source of so much drama.

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the area we are in...a very competitive, stressful, 'keeping up with the Jones' area. When I visit FL, one of the things that I love about it is how everyone just seems much more laid back and relaxed. Not so around here.

So, just a thought...not sure if others would agree or not.

Spokewench 05-22-2009 02:58 PM

I am the captain of 4 womens teams right now. I have drama in scheduling and trying to get ladies signed up and ready to play; but I have little drama when actually playing matches.

I have only had one person who created a lot of drama at a usta match and she has not played usta for a couple of years.

Everything seems to work out fine on the court.

spoke

shell 05-22-2009 03:15 PM

And I'll say one more thing, and don't flame me because I don't mean anything detrimental about this.

I think 3.5 is just a tough level, and ripe for drama. You either have people who have maxed out their level of play (maybe they started later in life, maybe they are not athletic enough to progress - multiple reasons), or you have transitional folks who will get better but don't have the years of tournament or matchplay experience. Maybe this is a factor. Kind of the scenario of the player that "lives" for the win each week, or the player that doesn't really have the match experience to know how to handle some of these situations.

Just another thought.

alice301 05-22-2009 03:26 PM

hey, i started this thread for all the guys who avidly read cindy's posts, and then overcompensate for the guilty pleasure by sneering at her, and by association, all women's tennis. they love the drama...i swear that they keep reading all the posts because they're hoping maybe, just maybe, one day, cindy will report on an honest-to-god, on-court catfight. with hair pulling! "frosted rose" uniform ripping! stay tuned for next season!


Cindysphinx 05-22-2009 03:30 PM

It is a relatively small number of people who misbehave. But their misbehavior is like ripples when a stone is thrown into a pond.

Also, keep in mind that I have played A LOT of USTA matches. I'd count the number, but I don't have time. Many of you have as well. Most go well. A few don't. Those make for some "Can You Believe It?" threads.

There is drama in men's tennis also. Probably from the same Dudes who cause trouble here at TT. I find it difficult to believe some of the more bothersome personalities around here are able to morph into Proper Gentlemen Who Have Been Raised Right as soon as they log off. Nah, I think they're probably jerks during most of their waking hours.

Cindysphinx 05-22-2009 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alice301 (Post 3453618)
hey, i started this thread for all the guys who avidly read cindy's posts, and then overcompensate for the guilty pleasure by sneering at her, and by association, all women's tennis. they love the drama...i swear that they keep reading all the posts because they're hoping maybe, just maybe, one day, cindy will report on an honest-to-god, on-court catfight. with hair pulling! "frosted rose" uniform ripping! stay tuned for next season!


OK, now *that* was funny!! :) :)

C-ya. I'm off to get sushi. . . .

shell 05-22-2009 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alice301 (Post 3453618)
hey, i started this thread for all the guys who avidly read cindy's posts, and then overcompensate for the guilty pleasure by sneering at her, and by association, all women's tennis. they love the drama...i swear that they keep reading all the posts because they're hoping maybe, just maybe, one day, cindy will report on an honest-to-god, on-court catfight. with hair pulling! "frosted rose" uniform ripping! stay tuned for next season!


Well maybe, but so far only women have posted. And so far nobody has these issues. So I don't know about the cat fight scenario. Sorry to bore.

Topaz 05-22-2009 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alice301 (Post 3453618)
hey, i started this thread for all the guys who avidly read cindy's posts, and then overcompensate for the guilty pleasure by sneering at her, and by association, all women's tennis. they love the drama...i swear that they keep reading all the posts because they're hoping maybe, just maybe, one day, cindy will report on an honest-to-god, on-court catfight. with hair pulling! "frosted rose" uniform ripping! stay tuned for next season!

Heh, heh, Alice...I bet they are all lurking, wondering who will have the 'balls' to post first.

Cindy's posts are guilty pleasures for many on here, of that I am sure!

Xisbum 05-22-2009 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topaz (Post 3453704)
Heh, heh, Alice...I bet they are all lurking, wondering who will have the 'balls' to post first.

Well it sure ain't TFM. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topaz (Post 3453522)
I was thinking more about this, and why Cindy's team (and opponents) seem to be the source of so much drama.

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the area we are in...a very competitive, stressful, 'keeping up with the Jones' area. When I visit FL, one of the things that I love about it is how everyone just seems much more laid back and relaxed. Not so around here.

So, just a thought...not sure if others would agree or not.

Nah, I saw some of the same kind of stuff in Memphis and St. Louis, with guys at 3.5 and 4.0, adult and seniors, and 3.5 and 4.0 mixed dubs teams, too. Unlike Cindy, I sometimes barked back at the transgressors - to my later chagrin. You know, stooping down to their level, etc.

Human nature is human nature, wherever you are. And there you are.

Cindysphinx 05-23-2009 08:02 AM

While we are feeling the love, Two Snaps Up to the moderators for cleaning up this thread. Thanks for your diligence!!

Topaz 05-23-2009 08:07 AM

Hunh, guess I missed something...but it sounds like I'm glad that I did.

Anyway...Cindy! I played singles against your former captain today, so yes, I have a nice entry into the 'drama' thread for today! :shock:

Will post it later, still hanging my head that I actually lost to her , in singles, in a 3rd set tiebreak.:oops::mad:

Cindysphinx 05-23-2009 08:46 AM

Noooooooooooooo!!!!

You lost to her. Argggggg! You were supposed to avenge me!

I lost today also. I don't have any Huge Drama to report, but there is no way I can play with this partner again. I gotta run (need to take these kids to the pool!), but I'll come back later and tell you the problem. Too bad, because I think she's a neat person . . . .

TheShaun 05-23-2009 08:49 AM

Can't we all just play tennis and have a good time!

As the great Socrates once said, "Save the drama fo yo mamma."

Topaz 05-23-2009 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheShaun (Post 3455589)
Can't we all just play tennis and have a good time!

As the great Socrates once said, "Save the drama fo yo mamma."

Cindy, Alice, and I are playing tennis and having fun.

Cindy is sharing her experiences. Many others feel the need to judge and draw negative conclusions from that...others don't. *shrug* Doesn't mean we're not playing tennis and having fun.

Topaz 05-23-2009 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 3455578)
Noooooooooooooo!!!!

You lost to her. Argggggg! You were supposed to avenge me!

I lost today also. I don't have any Huge Drama to report, but there is no way I can play with this partner again. I gotta run (need to take these kids to the pool!), but I'll come back later and tell you the problem. Too bad, because I think she's a neat person . . . .

/flashback to scene in Red Dawn...."Avenge meeeee!!!!"

I rolled over her in the first set. Tight second...I got a bit sloppy, she starting dinking me (on the clay)...she gets ahead in TB...whistle blows...that's all folks.

*hanging head*

Truly a match I should have won. I will update more in the other thread...though, there was much drama! So, gosh, not sure where I should put it!!!

TheShaun 05-23-2009 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topaz (Post 3455595)
Cindy, Alice, and I are playing tennis and having fun.

Cindy is sharing her experiences. Many others feel the need to judge and draw negative conclusions from that...others don't. *shrug* Doesn't mean we're not playing tennis and having fun.

Sorry Topaz, it was meant as a general statement and not aimed at anyone in particular. Please don't read it as aimed at the three of you.

Topaz 05-23-2009 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheShaun (Post 3455603)
Sorry Topaz, it was meant as a general statement and not aimed at anyone in particular. Please don't read it as aimed at the three of you.

Ahhh, no problem Shaun! I went into defensive mode, I guess, since I've heard there have been some ugly posts.

Yeah, it would be nice if everyone just did go out, have fun, play by the rules.

As is often mentioned in other threads, I think the people who don't necessarily play by the rules most of the time...don't know the rules. It usually, in my experience, isn't because of some kind of badly intentioned gamesmanship.

But then, I also think, in Cindy's last post (where the team hid in the bathroom), that that kind of stuff is what takes the joy and fun out of it sometimes. We must not let them do that!!!

:)


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse