Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   My improvement process (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=263513)

QuErorZ 05-26-2009 06:14 PM

My improvement process

Hi. I am 18 years 10 months old right now and i have been playing tennis for 9 months now. I have played 10-12 hours a week so far(if i could, i would play 15-20 hours). My NTRP ranking is 3.0(i am almost 3.5).
I really regret because i didn't start playing it when i was so young. I know i have the disadvantage of being late and so i try hard and have a discipline. I have a so great desire that i would play 10 hours a day if my body let me do it. I really am never bored of playing tennis.
I will change my location and play a lot more of tennis everyday after next month.
What would you recommend me to do?
What do you think?
What is the highest level i can reach by playing 2-3 hours a day?
Am i too late?
Can you encourage me a little bit please?:-|

Thank you.

RoddickAce 05-26-2009 06:36 PM

You could improve a lot if you put your heart into it! I came back from an injury around half a year ago. Every since I came back from my 2 year rest from tennis (with some playing once in a while though not recommended by the doctor :P), I found myself playing like a noob: my footwork was sloppy and i had forgotten a lot of the technical stuff I was taught early on.

Through posting videos here, getting advice and working on my game a lot, I have improved a ton.

One thing that helped me a lot was improving my footwork. If I could do it, so can you. Good luck:)!

PS:Posting your video on this forum and picking out the good advice really helps.

charliefedererer 05-27-2009 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuErorZ (Post 3467546)
Hi. I am 18 years 10 months old right now and i have been playing tennis for 9 months now. I have played 10-12 hours a week so far(if i could, i would play 15-20 hours). My NTRP ranking is 3.0(i am almost 3.5).
I really regret because i didn't start playing it when i was so young. I know i have the disadvantage of being late and so i try hard and have a discipline. I have a so great desire that i would play 10 hours a day if my body let me do it. I really am never bored of playing tennis.
I will change my location and play a lot more of tennis everyday after next month.
What do you think?
Am i too late?

Thank you.

I would definitely encourage you.
You are definitely not too late too continue to improve your game.
There is something intrinsically fun about hitting that little yellow ball.
But it can also be the source of many friendships, and part of a healthy lifestyle.
Obviously the best way to improve your tennis, is to play more tennis.
If you can, lessons from a pro to learn techniques and tactics is the best way to go.
But you can also learn a lot about technique, fitness, and equipment here on talk tennis and get video instruction on Fuzzy Yellow Balls: http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/video-tennis-lessons/
Enjoy!

fuzz nation 05-28-2009 07:00 AM

Yep, good advice in terms of the habits that you want to be learning and practicing. An occasional lesson from a decent teacher will keep you in the right direction, but you can also do some of your own research/reading to better understand the game's tactics as well as the fundamentals that you need for good strokes, etc.

Network as much as you can to track down potential hitting partners - teaching pros may be able to give you some good guidance in a new setting and you can also make some tennis pals at clinics and organized functions that are appropriate for your level. You could also try touching base with local high school or college coaches to see what they know about the "goings on" in your area.

You're certainly not too old to go pretty far with this sport, especially considering that you'll have it forever - other sports careers can often end after the high school or maybe college years, right? Yeah, it takes a bit of time to get proficient, but it's awfully rewarding after you stick with it for a while. With the right work and guidance, you can certainly progress to a higher level in terms of the NTRP ratings. Involvement in tennis can be good for you socially and your pursuit of a higher level will also encourage you toward better general fitness.

QuErorZ 05-28-2009 05:58 PM

Thanks my friends. Your advices are as valuable as a gold ring for me. I read all of them carefully.
I am looking forward to see other comments from other friends.
Thank you.

blakesq 05-29-2009 04:51 AM

I think the highest level you can reach, is to be a good recreational player. You might even become a tennis instructor. But, if you are thinking of being a professional, its not going to happen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuErorZ (Post 3467546)
What do you think?
Am i too late?

Thank you.

subaru3169 05-29-2009 04:09 PM

it's real nice to see how much passion you have for the game, as do many of us.. i haven't played since i finished being a junior and did not play throughout college, but my passion was always there and picked up my sticks again a couple months ago

on mechanics, i suggest you recognize what kind of ball each shot is before striking the ball so you understand which strokes you'd need to work on.. then play as many practice sets as you can with different ppl.. experience can really help your game

remember to have fun!!=)

DjoNaderer 05-31-2009 06:41 PM

I'm not a fan of claiming "It's never gonna happen".

Starting tennis at 18 is definitely late in terms of ATP aspirations. Many coaches and experts say it takes 10 years of practice to turn pro. But that's such a generalized timeframe. It depends on many, many things.

By not starting so early, your body (presumably) has not be pounded by years of hardcourt training, so you should be a fairly 'young' 18.

Secondly, With passion should come great work ethics, like eating right and realizing you need to spend a lot of time working on your fitness (not bulking up, but your cardio, leg/trunk/core strength). Even top juniors can slack about their eating/sleeping/fitness habits. By being supremely fit, you can match up evenly (physically) no matter how good opponents are.
Look at Pat Etcheberry's fitness program, for example.

And, if you practice the right way, that 10 years can get cut down dramatically.
Learn to serve and PLACE your serve. I have been aced by old men who did NOT have huge serves, but could place their serves beautifully.

The list goes on and on. Just play as often (this must include matchplay! Playing competitively is so different than practice matches) as you can, and try to find a way to afford a coach who shares your passion for the game.
The internet can be a great resource as well. Lastly, watch yourself on videotape -- it helps.

Best of luck...

Jessica 05-31-2009 07:36 PM

I've been playing for a year and I'm 18 too!

I'll see you at the Wimbledon 5 years from now