Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   finding a tennis partner (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=2651)

tennisfan4 04-06-2004 10:23 AM

finding a tennis partner

Does anyone have any suggestions about finding a tennis partner. I posted to a message board but then I got a little creeped out. I got one reply, which was perfectly normal sounding, but I just started feeling like it was similar to online dating. I mean the guy sounded fine but I don't really feel good about driving somewhere I don't really know and meeting someone who could be some kind of weirdo. I also wouldn't feel great about having him come and meet me where I play because I live really close by and I don't want a stranger knowing where I live. So I know this was a little long winded but does anyone have any suggestions on how I can meet someone to hit with like 3 or so times a week and I can be reasonably sure that they only want to meet me to play tennis?

david aames 04-06-2004 11:37 AM

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/

Camilio Pascual 04-07-2004 10:36 AM

Go to tennis courts that have walls to hit against. Find a bored person using one, or use one and look around, looking bored. Try college campuses. Look for groups of 3, they might play doubles or split off to play singles. Go to a bar and look as if you are on the prowl. Ask women if they play tennis and try to make arrangements to play with them instead of trying to pick them up. Some will be so shocked, they'll say they play even if they don't. A group of my friends and I figured out that this...Oh, yeah, looking for a tennis partner, started to wander off there. Good luck.

cantaloupe 04-07-2004 09:25 PM

lol @ Camilio, ive used tennis as pickups, they were not too impressed :(

Momo 04-10-2004 11:50 AM

tennisfan4, what's your NTRP?

Don't bother replying if you're the type that throws their racquet when they're ****ed.

tennisfan4 04-10-2004 02:56 PM

about a 4.0 Why?

Momo 04-10-2004 08:41 PM

Unless one of us is lying, we're both in Atlanta, we're both about 4.0, and we both wouldn't mind finding a decent tennis partner to hit with.

I already have one pretty regular hitting partner but I believe it's good to hit with as many different types of hitters as you can to expand your ability to compensate for all the various playing styles you might have to face. PM me if you're interested.

Brian Purdie 04-10-2004 08:57 PM

Join a team! That's about the easiest way to meet people of your own level. You get to know people over 3 months on a team, and it helps to sort out the weirdos from the normal people. Also, you may meet a few people of different playing styles: the spinner, the S&V, the guy that can't go a point without repositioning his hair peice...

jun 04-11-2004 12:57 AM

I think these are pretty good way to meet partners.

I have never tried tennis pick up lines (I don't like to use one anyways..^^; ). I shall give it a try sometime.

I met my regular tennis partner 2 yrs ago on tennis league team. Another one on tennis team that I took.

I think it's also a good idea to take a lesson from a pro, ask him/her if s/he knows any player in the same level as you are.

david aames 04-11-2004 08:35 AM

Tennis fan, YOU sound like the weirdo to me...

tennisfan4 04-11-2004 02:59 PM

Hey Momo, it said that PMing is not allowed. How else should I contact you?

Momo 04-11-2004 05:54 PM

There we go. I added an email button under my posts. Enjoy... but let's not get too carried away everybody. One man can answer only so much fan mail a day :wink:

dozu 04-12-2004 11:31 AM

talk about tennis picker-upper: guy I play the most with used to be a college player, switched school, tried to beef up his GPA so signed up for a beginner's tennis class... met a girl in the class who he eventually married.