Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What Is The Advantage of A Low Swingweight (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=266198)

(K)evin 06-06-2009 08:56 PM

What Is The Advantage of A Low Swingweight
 
I asked this question because when I look at the racquet board all I see is talk of SW2 and all these players like Djokovic and Murray with huge swingweights such as 374. But then you look at Federer's spec and you see 338. So why does he use it? What is the advantage?

azdelro 06-06-2009 09:01 PM

Increased maneuverability makes it easier to impart spin on the ball and keep racquet speed up when you get fatigued.

OliverSimon 06-06-2009 09:02 PM

racquet speed. Federer a long wristy swing and Murray a very compact swing

(K)evin 06-06-2009 10:49 PM

so since the swingweight isn't that high and that usually means less plow through, does that mean he is kind of more vulernable to a heavy topspin ball aka nadal?

larry10s 06-07-2009 03:35 AM

first of all 340 sw is not low. 320 is low. try swinging feds racquet and tell me it doesnt swing heavy. yes less plow through with lower sw but total weight offsets that

(K)evin 06-07-2009 07:28 PM

well these are federer's specs off of greg raven's site

weight: 362.5g
balance: 31.50cm
swingweight: 338

362.5g isn't really that heavy

markwillplay 06-08-2009 11:44 AM

pretty heavy to swing for 5 sets amigo. I use a k90 with about the same specs and play great with it for a while...hot day, 3rd set and I am in trouble. I am no Fed of course but in pretty good shape and strong. Stick still takes a lot out of me and has me thinking that it is too much for me. It amazes me how he does not seem to drop off in 5 sets. The guy is in unbelievable tennis shape. Looks like he has plenty of plow.

onehandbh 06-08-2009 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markwillplay (Post 3536290)
pretty heavy to swing for 5 sets amigo. I use a k90 with about the same specs and play great with it for a while...hot day, 3rd set and I am in trouble. I am no Fed of course but in pretty good shape and strong. Stick still takes a lot out of me and has me thinking that it is too much for me. It amazes me how he does not seem to drop off in 5 sets. The guy is in unbelievable tennis shape. Looks like he has plenty of plow.


It depends, friendo. To some, the k90 may be too heavy
and others it feels light and they lead it up.
The low power, small sweet spot and relatively heavy
weight usually make racquets like the K90 a poor choice
for most players under 4.0 or so. Why? b/c they tend
to have less efficient strokes. If you are strong like
you say, then you're probably muscling the ball too
much. Try relaxing more and using your core rotation and
legs to drive the shot.

ginomari 06-08-2009 05:06 PM

swingweight
 
Djoko and Murray have heavier SW because they use two hands to flick their backhands. Federer uses one handed backhand and it's a little tougher to flick the racquet with one hand. Thus a lower SW. (May be?)

chief wiggum 06-09-2009 12:03 AM

There is no advantage to a low sw, meaning 320 or below.

pedrowsky 02-18-2010 11:41 AM

I think he does that in order to be in sw1 category...

ronalditop 02-18-2010 03:36 PM

You have to remember that most pro players racquets with high SW are not very heavy, around 330-350 aprox. And the pros racquets with a relatively low SW are heavier.

Gugafan 02-18-2010 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ginomari (Post 3537775)
Djoko and Murray have heavier SW because they use two hands to flick their backhands. Federer uses one handed backhand and it's a little tougher to flick the racquet with one hand. Thus a lower SW. (May be?)

Murray increased the weight in his racket, in an attempt to make his forehand abit flatter and move through the court abit more. His team commented on this during the Australian Open.

pedrowsky 03-06-2010 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larry10s (Post 3527749)
first of all 340 sw is not low. 320 is low. try swinging feds racquet and tell me it doesnt swing heavy. yes less plow through with lower sw but total weight offsets that

it is low compared to the other professional's rackets, they are mostly above federer's...

Polaris 03-06-2010 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markwillplay (Post 3536290)
pretty heavy to swing for 5 sets amigo. I use a k90 with about the same specs and play great with it for a while...hot day, 3rd set and I am in trouble. I am no Fed of course but in pretty good shape and strong. Stick still takes a lot out of me and has me thinking that it is too much for me. It amazes me how he does not seem to drop off in 5 sets. The guy is in unbelievable tennis shape. Looks like he has plenty of plow.

True. I had a similar experience with a demo version of the nCode 90. I was hitting my one-handed backhand really well and also volleying nicely. I played really well (better than with my usual racket, the PK Redondo MP), but after 50 minutes, I was winded and felt the after-effects for the whole day afterwards.

corners 03-06-2010 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (K)evin (Post 3527265)
so since the swingweight isn't that high and that usually means less plow through, does that mean he is kind of more vulernable to a heavy topspin ball aka nadal?

Yes, kind of. Plowthrough is a combination of hitting weight (which is pretty much proportional to swingweight) and racquet speed. So, as noted by a poster above, if you can swing a lower-swingweight stick faster you might actually have more plowthrough than with a higher-swingweight stick. But, only on those shots where you take a full swing. One returns and volleys a higher-swingweight stick will have more plow.

corners 03-06-2010 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ginomari (Post 3537775)
Djoko and Murray have heavier SW because they use two hands to flick their backhands. Federer uses one handed backhand and it's a little tougher to flick the racquet with one hand. Thus a lower SW. (May be?)

One thing to note when comparing guys like Murray and Djoker to Fed is that both of them grip the racquet higher up on the handle. Take a look at their forehands - Murray and Djoker both hold the handle in a more traditional manner, with the buttcap slightly below their hand.

But Fed (and Rafa) both hold the handle at the very bottom, so their pinkies are only just on the handle (Fed chokes up for volleys and overheads, but that's about it).

Where you hold the racquet on the handle effects the "effective" swingweight. If you choke down on the handle by 1/2" this adds about 25 units to the swingweight, in terms of how difficult it is to swing. It appears to me that Fed holds about that much lower on the forehand than does Djokovic, so if you compare them, Fed swings at ~350+25=375 and Djoker swings at 371 (according to Greg Raven).

(However, although this means it's roughly as difficult for Fed to swing his paintjob as it is for Djoker to swing his paintjob, it also means that Djoker's racquet has a higher hittingweight and is thus inherently more powerful and stable. However, because Fed has made his stick effectively longer, he will have a higher swing speed at the same impact location, this will give him a bit more speed and spin. In terms of speed it will be a wash, with Djoker's more powerful racquet equalizing Fed's faster racquet. But Fed's faster racquet will give him a bit more spin (but only a bit).)

Note: Fed's estimated swingweight comes from Greg Raven's site plus an estiamtion of how much lead P1 puts under his bumper.

Personally, I'm now using a lower swingweight than I could use, and this is because for some shots, forehand and serve in particular, the amount of spin I can hit while still maintaining ball speed is limited by a higher swingweight. I love high swingweight on returns, volleys and slice backhands. But if I go too high my forehand loses pace and/or spin (I have to chose which one I want) and my kicker loses kick.

travlerajm 03-07-2010 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ginomari (Post 3537775)
Djoko and Murray have heavier SW because they use two hands to flick their backhands. Federer uses one handed backhand and it's a little tougher to flick the racquet with one hand. Thus a lower SW. (May be?)

A few years ago I compared the specs of 1hb pros vs 2hb pros of the 80+ players on Jura's 2005 FO list.

The 1hb players were using heavier frames - about 8g heavier on average, and the difference was statistically significant. MR^2 was about the same between the two groups though.

Matchball 03-07-2010 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larry10s (Post 3527749)
first of all 340 sw is not low. 320 is low. try swinging feds racquet and tell me it doesnt swing heavy. yes less plow through with lower sw but total weight offsets that

Interesting. I can confirm this, since my low SW Babolat PST Ltd. feels a lot more stable in terms of returning a heavy ball. It's the relatively higher weight that helps...

corners 03-08-2010 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travlerajm (Post 4451064)
A few years ago I compared the specs of 1hb pros vs 2hb pros of the 80+ players on Jura's 2005 FO list.

The 1hb players were using heavier frames - about 8g heavier on average, and the difference was statistically significant. MR^2 was about the same between the two groups though.

Surprising that balance wasn't more headlight for OHBH group.

Still haven't had a chance to try SW2. Will report my results at the opposite end of the spectrum when I've got a chance.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse