Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Forehand/backhand video analysis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=266646)

Eph 06-08-2009 10:37 AM

Forehand/backhand video analysis

I've yet to post a video of my strokes so here goes. I hope it provides a necessary change in pace from my posts. :)

What do you think? My footwork needs help, and my completion of the forehand looks stunted -- isn't fluid. How do I finish up past my shoulder? My backhand looks terrible, but I knew this. Although I think it's just lacking proper footwork...

Okay, enough random ramblings. Tell me what you think! What can I do to improve? What needs improving? What's OK?

And would anybody take a stab at where I rank in the NTRP rankings?

Video 1: http://www.vimeo.com/5062255

Here are pictures of one of my forehands, to see the progression: http://christhelinuxguy.com/gallery3/index.php/tennis

NB I was pretty tired so my volleys weren't that great, nor were my overheads. My overhead may be my best shot, and I think I have a much better volley than what you'll see.

masterxfob 06-08-2009 11:32 AM

having trouble loading your vid, but from the pictures, you are hitting your forehand late. it also looked like you were too close to the ball as well.

Raid 06-08-2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masterxfob (Post 3536227)
having trouble loading your vid, but from the pictures, you are hitting your forehand late. it also looked like you were too close to the ball as well.

plus you are arming the ball way too much

pmacino 06-08-2009 11:55 AM

I got the video to load.

I would slow the whole thing down and work your way up. I'm saying this because from what I can see there are a number of things that when addressed will give you much more control and power.
  1. Footwork. Make sure to get yourself in the right position and use your legs and hips to drive the ball. In the video you are using a lot of wrist/shoulder because you are taking the balls high. Step back and allow your self to swing through the ball.
  2. Backswing. On your forehands, you are way late bringing your racquet back.
  3. Lower the head, once you are in position and have your racquet back you can lower that head and set up to swing through the ball. I'm seeing you trying to use way too much arm to try and blast balls back. Power comes from the core, not arms.
  4. Stop jumping while you hit. :)
  5. Follow through all the way on your forehands. Because of you using your wrist, it is stopping your follow through and your racquet is twisting on you. You are hitting high to low you can see this around 1:30 forward.
  6. Split step your approach shots. Stay on the balls of your feet...anticipate and get there lower your stance with your legs to dig out hose drop shots...Also, Your elbow should be below your racquet head. Since you are late, you are just kind of using your racquet to scoop the ball into the net.
  7. Change to a Continental Grip at the net. Footwork, again make sure to stay on the balls of your feet and pivot.
  8. I don't know how to correct this (jump rope maybe), but you are heavy on your feet. With un-needed steps. Work on this and it should help your strokes.
I've been working so hard on my footwork lately and everything else is falling into place.

NotAtTheNet 06-08-2009 12:02 PM

Your elbow and forearm just pitch downward like you're pouring water after contact (which is late, hitting too close to the body if not behind you, contact point should be in front of you).

Follow through is almost nonexistent. If you follow through so your raquet is by your left ear, that would eliminate 50% of your net balls.

You're not using that left arm enough, you're touching your stomach instead of reaching out more.

You're flat on your feet instead of being on the balls of your feet most of the time.

You don't split step (the only time you do hop up is when you hit the ball)

Step into your slice

no comments on the 1 hdbh bc i use a 2hdbh

no comments on the netgame bc i'm the last person to be talking about net game (though your racquet should up up and out, not down)

However, i must say compared to some of the previous vids you've posted, your strokes do look better than before.

Oh and if you plan on playing lots of serve and volleying, clear out the balls off the court... don't want to ruin that new knee you got there...

edit...
since you're the educational type, you want to think of your swing as an incomplete elipse. topspin is imparted by brushing the ball. if you hit close too your body, there is no brush, just a pure x force vector. hit in front and you have both x and y components. x is for pace, y is for spin. see this diagram for an explanation.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

ramseszerg 06-08-2009 12:05 PM

Do you have a coach? Because you need one.

NotAtTheNet 06-08-2009 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eph (Post 3535937)
And would anybody take a stab at where I rank in the NTRP rankings?

NTRP must be like the weight lifting equivalent of how much can you bench press huh? I think at your level, don't worry about ntrp. You have enough issues right now with stroke mechanics, to be worried about competitive tennis.

any 3.0 with moderate control will hammer your backhand into submission or just give you really low bouncing forehands. plus you seem really into serve and volley, you need to step up the footwork bc your vollies lack alot of putaway power and with your footwork, you're bound to get passed.

mtommer 06-08-2009 12:21 PM

There are two ways, that I see, you could go right now. One way would be to bring your left foot up, more in line with your rear foot thereby stepping into the ball. The other way would be to move your left foot forward (not in-line) and take the ball much further in front of you than you are while still transferring weight from the rear foot to the front (left) foot thereby creating a more spin oriented shot.

chico9166 06-08-2009 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramseszerg (Post 3536390)

Do you now feel better about your game? Ridiculous!

Wes_Loves_Dunlop 06-08-2009 01:06 PM

to let your arm come across your body for a proper follow through you have to lose some weight in your body area man. Not to be mean, but the reason your follow through on your forehand is stunned is because your arm cant go across your body.

chico9166 06-08-2009 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes_Loves_Dunlop (Post 3536741)
to let your arm come across your body for a proper follow through you have to lose some weight in your body area man. Not to be mean, but the reason your follow through on your forehand is stunned is because your arm cant go across your body.

The arm doesn't move in front ,because the hips are not turning and clearing the front side up to the point of contact.

Eph 06-08-2009 01:38 PM

Quote:

No coach at the moment. When a good one comes to my area, I'll be sure to hire one.

Raid 06-08-2009 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eph (Post 3536898)
No coach at the moment. When a good one comes to my area, I'll be sure to hire one.

just ignore him mate, youre doing good, keep at it, one step at a time

Eph 06-08-2009 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes_Loves_Dunlop (Post 3536741)

No offense taken - I know I'm fat. I'm working on losing weight, and am doing a great job as of late. Down 5 pounds last month, and down 2 since June 1st. My top weight was ~305, and I'm now around 270.

Eph 06-08-2009 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotAtTheNet (Post 3536482)
plus you seem really into serve and volley, you need to step up the footwork bc your vollies lack alot of putaway power and with your footwork, you're bound to get passed.

Thanks for this. Can you explain what I need to do, exactly for footwork when coming to the net, and around the net? I can't find much online, so I'll take any little advice I can get...

NB As I said, the video of my volleys is misleading. Truly. I hit corners all the time, with speed. And all throughout the court...

NotAtTheNet 06-08-2009 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eph (Post 3537343)
Thanks for this. Can you explain what I need to do, exactly for footwork when coming to the net, and around the net? I can't find much online, so I'll take any little advice I can get...

Did you see my username... lol.

Well 1st off with your feet, stay on the balls of your feet. You knees should be bent and your racquet should be up and in front of you (like a ready stance in kendo). You want your racquet out in front so when you goto volley, all you have to do is open your racquet face, turn your and step into the volley. You want to step into the volley, not back. Forehand volley should step in with your left foot, vice versa for the backhand volley.

Oh and like others said here, continental grip.

for better information will at fyb is the man... start here... http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/vide...sons/net-play/

user92626 06-08-2009 03:41 PM

Eph,

More importantly what are the shortcomings thatyou see you have and want to change/improve? Like lack of power, mishits, etc.?

The sky is the limit but we all know that many of us here will never get to Fed's level :) Meaning we can only work w/ what we have (sounds depressing but it's the truth)

TennisPassion5 06-08-2009 03:42 PM

Quote:

So do you, bud.

TennisPassion5 06-08-2009 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raid (Post 3537307)
just ignore him mate, youre doing good, keep at it, one step at a time

Yeh, seriously, ignore the a-hole. He's not good himself and tries to help other players. I second the fact that you're doing fine.

crazypro 06-08-2009 05:10 PM

the main thing you need to work on is your forehand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-D32RwsD_w

If you see roddick's forehand, at first his body is perpendicular to the net. But when the ball hits his racquet, you'll see that his body is parallel. This shows the turning of body to hit the ball but all you're doing is hitting the ball with your arms, not your body. You've got to get you body into the ball in order to succesfully hit a forehand.

I hope this helped..