Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Do you think djokovic will ever be number 1? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=268354)

wilsondude 06-16-2009 08:26 PM

Do you think djokovic will ever be number 1?

I'm not saying his prime is over; hes a young guy, but he played much better tennis in 07/08 then this year. Do you think that he will make it to number 1 at any point in his career? If so, then for how long?

jamesblakefan#1 06-16-2009 08:33 PM

I don't see it. Unless he adds a few things to his game, it seems like guys are starting to figure him out and learn how to play against him. He's the type of guy who has to play at a high level to be effective, i.e, he can't have too many off days and still win, while guys like Federer, Nadal, can have off days and still win.

Stewball55 06-16-2009 08:36 PM

I wouldnt mind seeing it happen. But prob wont. I really like him, not doing so great lately though....

tudwell 06-16-2009 08:41 PM

Back in early 08 it looked possible. He was challenging for number two. Nadal had only won slams on clay. He had just beaten Federer in a grand slam.

Now it doesn't look so hot. Nadal's dominance has spread to other slams. Federer rebounded from his Australian Open loss to take the U.S. and now the French. And of course Murray's risen through the rankings like a meteor.

But things change quickly in tennis. Djokovic is streaky. Right now he's having a bad streak. In a few months, or maybe a year or two, he might go on another good streak like in early 08.

I'm not counting him out.

gj011 06-16-2009 08:58 PM

Yes of course.

IvanAndreevich 06-16-2009 09:04 PM

I think it depends on his mentality and fitness. IMO he might get there in the future but he will not stay there for long.

valiant 06-16-2009 09:07 PM

Well it can happen. If gets consistent which he never is. Also Fed and Nadal makes it hard for anyone to reach number 1.

SikSerb 06-16-2009 09:09 PM

Yeah I'm sure he will. In early 08 it seemed like it was a matter of time before he was going to reach number 1. He just needs to get back into that form and he will. Even on clay this year he showed why he is one of the top competitors for the number one ranking, he just needs to keep up that level.

Sentinel 06-16-2009 09:15 PM

Sadly, I don't see him reaching number one. There are others at this point lower ranked than him who could reach there for a short bit.

If he does, it won't be for long since he does not maintain his performance for long.

baseline08thrasher 06-16-2009 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentinel (Post 3566977)
Sadly, I don't see him reaching number one. There are others at this point lower ranked than him who could reach there for a short bit.

If he does, it won't be for long since he does not maintain his performance for long.

100% agreed

Brned 06-16-2009 09:33 PM

Maybe... But it seems to me that Murray will get there first.

If Djokovic could improve his fitness ( how can a grinder run out of gass so quickly??) and toughen up mentally he would be so much more of a contender... Otherwise I think even Delpo has a better chance

sh@de 06-16-2009 10:19 PM

I doubt this will happen. Murray and Nadal are above him, and unless he improves, I don't see him beating those two consistently enough to become no.1.

Blinkism 06-16-2009 10:27 PM

I have a feeling like he'll pick up another slam, but won't ever be #1.

I don't think he has what it takes to dominate for long enough of a period of time to take the #1 sport. He might have a great run for a couple of months (like early 2008, for example), but then it could all suddenly change (like the middle of 2008 ).

vtmike 06-16-2009 10:44 PM

Nah I think DelPo, Murray are much more consistent performers than Djokovic...Djokovic is talented but just not consistent enough...

jmsala 06-17-2009 04:41 AM

Number one is very hyped IMHO. Take rafa before this year's FO. He won 3 out of the 4 last GS, the olympics and many masters. He was on fire.

An early loose in FO and everybody is counting that roger can get back number 1 after wimby. ATP scoring system is very demanding, and a bad strike puts the number 1 back to 2 quickly.

I don't agree with many players who asked to extend the scoring system across 2 years instead of yearly because that's the way it's been until now and because it makes something extraordinary to keep #1 for a long time, but it's also "easy" to become the #1 even if it's just for a few weeks.

P_Agony 06-17-2009 04:45 AM

I'm pretty sure he won't be. he's obviously not getting any closer nowdays - as Murray passed him in the rankings. He certainly has the game and talent to be #1, but I don't think he's mentally up for the task, not to mention his questionable fitness. You just never get the feeling of domination when Djokovic is playing. Not the feeling you get when you watch Fed or Nadal.

I wish him all the best, despite the fact I dislike him.

Murray, IMO, does have the ability to become #1, but he has much to prove before that happens.

malakas 06-17-2009 04:48 AM

I think he will,but for a short while.

FlamEnemY 06-17-2009 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brned (Post 3567031)
If Djokovic could improve his fitness ( how can a grinder run out of gass so quickly??)

Grinder? :neutral:

Seany 06-17-2009 04:51 AM

I think when he's aged 27-28 he will be no.1 for a short period.

veroniquem 06-17-2009 04:53 AM

Yes, why not? If Kafelnikov, Moya or Rafter were able to do it, there's no reason why a talented player like Djoko couldn't.