Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Becker mentions Sampras PJ...? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=270545)

finky 06-27-2009 09:54 AM

Becker mentions Sampras PJ...?

Just watching Wimby on BBC and Boris mentioned he was the only top tenner in his era paying for his own racquets.He also said that Pete used a paint job....I thought he always used a PS85? Quite a big statement from boom boom!

vsbabolat 06-27-2009 10:01 AM

The only time that Pete had a PJ that I know is at the 1991 French Open. When Pete had a PJ of the Pro Staff 6.0 95 dual Taper Beam on his Original Pro Staff 85.

finky 06-27-2009 10:06 AM

That must be what he is alluding to then.I don't remember seeing Pete use anything but a PS85 during his active career.

FiveO 06-27-2009 10:09 AM

Perhaps BB is referring to the fact that Pete kept playing with the St. Vincent's manufactured frames through his retirement years after Wilson stopped manufacturing the stick there and it eventually became relatively to completely unavailable to the public.

BreakPoint 06-27-2009 10:18 AM

Maybe Boris meant that Pete used a paintjob on the seniors tour? Pete did use a K90 with the nCode 90 paintjob that he got from Federer's stash for a while before he got his own KPS88.

No Drop Shots 06-27-2009 10:46 AM

When BB says he was the only top 10 player paying for his rackets, didn't Puma stop making tennis rackets altogether, so he bought the mold off Puma and he had Estusa (?? or a similar sounding company??) make them for him, the Estusa frames were identical to the Puma's, even the PJ being navy blue with the red hoop. My tennis partner when I was playing as a junior was BB obsessed and had both the Puma and Estusa frames, they were pretty heavy and had that bolt in the handle that you could adjust the balance with, classic frames.

As for Pete, only ever remember him playing with the PS85, reckon BB was referring to when he played Fed in the exhibition matches, although most conspiracy theorists on TW believe Pete was using Fed's old frames if i remember correctly....?

insiderman 06-27-2009 10:57 AM

BB is the "KING" of (always) playing/using 'paint-jobs' - stupid comment on his part - as he knows better..

Rabbit 07-03-2009 02:13 PM

Sampras got no money from Wilson because he wouldn't use the current paint.

Becker paid for his racquets because Puma quit paying him. He negotiated the mould off them and paid Head of Austria like $25/frame to run off a number for him

If Becker were half the business man he thinks he is, he'd brush the dust off that mould and have the Chinese run 1000 off as a "commemorative" frame for sale under the Becker Banner.

vsbabolat 07-03-2009 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit (Post 3646193)

Becker paid for his racquets because Puma quit paying him. He negotiated the mould off them and paid Head of Austria like $25/frame to run off a number for him

If Becker were half the business man he thinks he is, he'd brush the dust off that mould and have the Chinese run 1000 off as a "commemorative" frame for sale under the Becker Banner.

That is absolutely correct. Becker even had HEAD manufacture the 1995 World Champion Racquets for the public.

Gorecki 07-03-2009 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finky (Post 3612237)
Just watching Wimby on BBC and Boris mentioned he was the only top tenner in his era paying for his own racquets.He also said that Pete used a paint job....I thought he always used a PS85? Quite a big statement from boom boom!

his own fault maybe... ? he did refuse to use anything else than the Puma mold...

Gorecki 07-03-2009 02:41 PM

Quote:

1000? he could make 100000 and it would still fly like hot cakes... have you seen them going at the bay for 50 and 60 $ at miserable condition?

brinkeguthrie 07-03-2009 05:02 PM

Becker split with Puma as Puma was having financial probs and they couldn't handle his deal. Loved that Puma frame. Felt (to me) like a club but a real solid feel.

LPShanet 07-05-2009 04:03 PM

Quote:

The bit about Becker paying for his frames is correct. The part about Sampras getting no money from Wilson is not. Sampras got a buttload of money from Wilson. They would have loved to have him use an in-line frame, but they still paid him to use the PS and stencil his strings. Maybe they would have paid him even more had he used a PJ, but they definitely paid him... at least seven figures in fact. Also, while Becker had to buy his frames, Sampras got his St. Vincents free from Wilson.

LPShanet 07-05-2009 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finky (Post 3612237)

Is it possible to get a clip or transcript of what exactly Boris said? Just curious. Pretty sure he's right about being the only one who paid for his frames, but I'm unaware of any PJ on Pete's frames during his ATP days other than the one mentioned by vsbabolat above. Since his ATP retirement, he's definitely used a PJ or two, though.

pmerk34 07-05-2009 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LPShanet (Post 3657372)
Is it possible to get a clip or transcript of what exactly Boris said? Just curious. Pretty sure he's right about being the only one who paid for his frames, but I'm unaware of any PJ on Pete's frames during his ATP days other than the one mentioned by vsbabolat above. Since his ATP retirement, he's definitely used a PJ or two, though.

After you get married, no more paintjobs.

Mdubb23 07-06-2009 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsbabolat (Post 3612258)
The only time that Pete had a PJ that I know is at the 1991 French Open. When Pete had a PJ of the Pro Staff 6.0 95 dual Taper Beam on his Original Pro Staff 85.

I don't mean to gush, but your vast range of tennis knowledge is absolutely incredible.

THESEXPISTOL 07-07-2009 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mdubb23 (Post 3663359)
I don't mean to gush, but your vast range of tennis knowledge is absolutely incredible.

Quoted for truth

Sticklacer 07-09-2009 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsbabolat (Post 3612258)

Pete used the painted frame at Wimby that year ('91)--and lost to Rostagno. Was back to the regular version immediately after that loss!