Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   stop bashing federer for the 15 jacket (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=272810)

poplar 07-06-2009 10:14 AM

stop bashing federer for the 15 jacket

He was handed that jacket by an official after he won. (Shown on BBC) He didn't have it in his bag and he didn't even know about it beforehand. In an interview on ESPN radio this morning Federer said that he didn't know anything about the special jacket until someone handed it to him after the match.

But I know people will continue bashing him regardless.

TennisInPleasanton 07-06-2009 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poplar (Post 3661196)
He was handed that jacket by an official after he won. (Shown on BBC) He didn't have it in his bag and he didn't even know about it beforehand. In an interview on ESPN radio this morning Federer said that he didn't know anything about the special jacket until someone handed it to him after the match.

But I know people will continue bashing him regardless.

OFcourse, because it deserves bashing. It was totally classless, the blood has not even dried on centre court. I never thought that there would be anything worse than Federer's Sgt Pepper jacket , turns out there is...

TsongaEatingAPineappleLol 07-06-2009 01:26 PM

It was ok, but he should have collared it down.

VivalaVida 07-06-2009 01:30 PM

Dont bother. Many tools here are blind and think Federer had it in his bag and wrote 15 on it with a sharpie before the match. :rolleyes:

yung goon 07-06-2009 01:31 PM

do you really need to have 15 on your jacket to prove your good? we get it. youve won more slams than anyone else. you dont have to have it printed on your clothes

Rippy 07-06-2009 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yung goon (Post 3662132)
do you really need to have 15 on your jacket to prove your good? we get it. youve won more slams than anyone else. you dont have to have it printed on your clothes

Did you read the first post? :?

yung goon 07-06-2009 01:35 PM

funny how macenroe knew it was on the jacket before it was brought out but federer didnt.

DavidGarcia 07-06-2009 01:36 PM

The number 15 is a cool number. He should now wear the jacket to every single match which he plays and only replaces it when he gets his new jacket with the number 16 on it.

Rippy 07-06-2009 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yung goon (Post 3662150)
funny how macenroe knew it was on the jacket before it was brought out but federer didnt.

That is a good point, I was actually wondering that myself as Sue Barker also knew? Perhaps Nike informed them? Seems unlikely though. Or perhaps Fed did know. Does the OP have a source for the interview? He didn't post one...

dantespark33 07-06-2009 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yung goon (Post 3662150)

must have been McEnroe's plan to make Federer look bad, that sly devil

DarthFed 07-06-2009 01:38 PM

The jacket was the most important thing about yesterday

screw Sampras, Laver, AND borg being there, screw the history, screw the records that were utterly destroyed

it's all about the number 15 on a jacket of course

yung goon 07-06-2009 01:39 PM

i just dont think fed would say "yeah i knew about the jacket. i thought it was a cool idea"

LetFirstServe 07-06-2009 01:40 PM

It sucked, I already had the other jacket and now I have to buy another one with a 15 on it. :(

On a serious note, I haven't read that far on the forum in the last 24 hours to see much bashing for the jacket. I think it was a little classless for the specific time.

It reminds me of the superbowl where they already print (both of) the team's champion hats and the winners are wearing them while the final seconds are ticking off the clock.

But this is tennis.

Emelia21 07-06-2009 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rippy (Post 3662159)
That is a good point, I was actually wondering that myself as Sue Barker also knew? Perhaps Nike informed them? Seems unlikely though. Or perhaps Fed did know. Does the OP have a source for the interview? He didn't post one...

Of course Fed knew about it

icedevil0289 07-06-2009 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yung goon (Post 3662169)
i just dont think fed would say "yeah i knew about the jacket. i thought it was a cool idea"

no one would have known about it if sue barker hadn't brought it up. It looked to me that fed looked embarrassed when she did that.

DavidGarcia 07-06-2009 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetFirstServe (Post 3662175)
It sucked, I already had the other jacket and now I have to buy another one with a 15 on it. :(

On a serious note, I haven't read that far on the forum in the last 24 hours to see much bashing for the jacket. I think it was a little classless for the specific time.

It reminds me of the superbowl where they already print (both of) the team's champion hats and the winners are wearing them while the final seconds are ticking off the clock.

But this is tennis.

Nike should have provided RG 15 hats after the match to Sampras, Laver, Borg and everyone in the crowd for a reasonable price.

Rippy 07-06-2009 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emelia21 (Post 3662182)
Of course Fed knew about it

Not according to the OP. I had assumed Fed knew until I saw this thread.

TennezSport 07-06-2009 01:44 PM

Fed didn't know.........

This was done by Nike as a surprise to Fed for winning the 15th GS. If you noticed at the first commercial Nike also ran a congrats ad with several sport stars congratulating Fed for the 15th. A publicity stunt by NIKE not Fed. McEnroe knew about it because he was told by the Nike rep. Get a clue people; it's advertizing as Nike does in a lot of other sports.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

yung goon 07-06-2009 01:45 PM

yeah i bet roddick wouldve wore one of his hats

Leublu tennis 07-06-2009 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisInPleasanton (Post 3662103)
OFcourse, because it deserves bashing. It was totally classless, the blood has not even dried on centre court. I never thought that there would be anything worse than Federer's Sgt Pepper jacket , turns out there is...

At least the jacket didn't say "Rahdick is a loser, has been, and always will be".