Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Federer Footwork Training (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=275283)

jasonbourne 07-17-2009 09:17 AM

Federer Footwork Training

http://www.tennis-tube.net/play.php?vid=1047

Bungalo Bill 07-17-2009 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonbourne (Post 3702154)

Nice! Love it!!

Footwork training is a must for every player and it does NOT come naturally. You got to work at it.

I liked that Federer kept his feet apart predominatly throughout the training. Very important.

1. Jump rope.

2. Butt kicks.

3. Sprints.

4. Footwork drills.

5. Plyos.

6. Hand-eye-foot coordination

Puts to shame all those people that provide advice here telling everyone it all comes "natural' or "just do what the pros do".

Yeah, get it on!

btangel 07-17-2009 10:01 AM

wow those are some cool exercises

jrod 07-17-2009 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bungalo Bill (Post 3702272)
Puts to shame all those people that provide advice here telling everyone it all comes "natural' or "just do what the pros do".

Exactly BB. It's laughable to think all these hackers sitting at their keyboards espousing about how they are naturally gifted when it comes to footwork. I think it's pretty clear that Federer has more natural talent than the collective sum of all posters here on TT and yet he still works his ***** off on footwork drills.

Beautiful stuff.

Bungalo Bill 07-17-2009 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrod (Post 3702396)
Exactly BB. It's laughable to think all these hackers sitting at their keyboards espousing about how they are naturally gifted when it comes to footwork. I think it's pretty clear that Federer has more natural talent than the collective sum of all posters here on TT and yet he still works his ***** off on footwork drills.

Beautiful stuff.

Yup, I agree.

dman72 07-17-2009 10:38 AM

That video appears to be really old. However, it does prove the point that the guy isn't where he's at just from hitting a lot of tennis balls. He trains hard in all areas.

It also helps that he has access to that kind of training and coaching. $$

scotus 07-17-2009 10:46 AM

Can anyone tell me the purpose behind practicing serves standing on an aerobic stepper?

Topaz 07-17-2009 10:50 AM

He uses a platform stance...using the step would help him practice balance during his serve IMO.

Bungalo Bill 07-17-2009 11:39 AM

Now watch this and note how Rodger hits the ball in such a way so that he can recover and close the court off as soon as possible.

http://www.tennis-tube.net/play.php?vid=311

Footwork. Shot selection. Movement.

Mike Cottrill 07-17-2009 11:53 AM

Will,
You see that cheep plastic stepper lol

topher.juan 07-17-2009 01:32 PM

Nice video. I like the drill where the coach throws three balls at once.
How much weight is he benching? 95lbs? incl. bar, obviously reps are key.

rk_sports 07-17-2009 02:15 PM

very nice.. thanks for sharing..

looked like those drills are so much fun as well... apart from being hard work

funny how Fed looks back then .. btw, who's the other guy there?

Bungalo Bill 07-17-2009 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rk_sports (Post 3703236)
very nice.. thanks for sharing..

looked like those drills are so much fun as well... apart from being hard work

funny how Fed looks back then .. btw, who's the other guy there?

Love Fed's racquet. :) Racquet I used to play with.

user92626 07-17-2009 03:11 PM

I don't ever dream to play or have footwork like Fed,

but does anyone know a good drill / exercise to prevent rolling an ankle, twisting a leg or tripping on your own foot? I love playing tennis hard but I still need to be mindful that it's only a hobby to me.

VaBeachTennis 07-17-2009 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonbourne (Post 3702154)

Thanks for posting this goldmine of information regarding training techniques. Nice!

VaBeachTennis 07-17-2009 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topaz (Post 3702543)
He uses a platform stance...using the step would help him practice balance during his serve IMO.

Yeah, I think that it would help with balance and recovery................

VaBeachTennis 07-17-2009 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dman72 (Post 3702483)
That video appears to be really old. However, it does prove the point that the guy isn't where he's at just from hitting a lot of tennis balls. He trains hard in all areas.

It also helps that he has access to that kind of training and coaching. $$

What's great about that video, is that it gives people great training ideas minus the $$$$$$$$$$

fattsoo 07-18-2009 12:27 AM

never thought I would enjoy watching someone else's workout as much as this vid

Nadal_R 07-18-2009 03:04 AM

In the first video, 00:45. What is that thing in their feet? And what is that in 00:28->00:37?

GuyClinch 07-18-2009 05:10 AM

Quote:

I think this attitude is fostered by the tennis teaching community - who will often dumb things down for students and blow smoke up their collective.. The USTA tennis 1-2-3 for example makes tennis seem like something easy that you just "learn" with a bit of knowledge.

This is opposed to something like martial arts which people generally percieve as something that is drilled into you. A guy like Robert Lansdorp or BB is the exception not the rule.

As for "natural talent." Well if you have been called "talented" at anything you know that often its the result of hard work not really talent. We don't actually know how talented Federer really is. Once you get good enough at anything so it looks easy people will write it off as talent.

Its more convient to believe in talent rather then to believe you might be lazy.

Pete