Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   How long does it take to learn how to string a racquet? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=27555)

arodnadal 03-29-2005 07:42 AM

How long does it take to learn how to string a racquet?

gmlasam 03-29-2005 08:06 AM

At first it takes awhile to get the feel and techinque down. After the second or third string job, you should be pretty comfortable with stringing.

I recommend first reading up on how to string the racquet, read the stringing instructions that came with your stringer or go online before you attempting to string the racquet.

The most crucial part of stringing IMHO is to make sure you properly mount the racquet to prevent damage of the racquet and harm to you.

IMHO, the people who complain about bad string jobs and deforming/damaging their racquets are the ones that don't follow instructions and don't take precautions on stringing and mounting the racquets.

The quailty of the string job is all about the person stringing it. IMHO.

theace21 03-29-2005 09:39 AM

The first racket will take you over an hour. After a few you will be under an hour. If you have two rackets that are the same, string one of those first. That way you will see what holes to skip and where the crosses begin. It will also show you the best spot for the knots. Only way to learn is to read and practice.

A new racket that has never been strung, should not be you first racket....Good Luck

coachb47 03-29-2005 10:42 AM

It really helps to watch someone string a racket. I was lucky enough to have someone show me. Add that to reading and you should do fine. I strung my first racket in just over an hour. I know it would have taken much longer if I wouldn't have seen it done first and heard a few tips from a pro stringer. I was a little leary of doing it right but it is very simple and straight forward. Good luck.

Mark

alan-n 03-29-2005 10:53 AM

You'll need to string a few racquet to get it done under an hour. Go to www.sptennis.com and view their string videos.

Whatever you do you need to be consistent with time it takes to weave / tension / clamp to get a consistent string bed. Weaving crosses is whats difficult when beggining. I recommend watching the sptennis.com video.... Start off learning to string with 2 pieces, and learn the "weave one ahead technique" in the video.... Also watch the other video where a racquet is string in 15 minutes for some tips.

Gaines Hillix 03-29-2005 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arodnadal

One can learn the basics in a few hours. However, to be really proficient literally takes years(more or less depending on how much time you have to devote to it). I agree with the poster who said the best way to learn is to watch someone else do it. Even better if they will give you lessons. The USRSA has a list of Master Racquet Technicians who are willing to give lessons posted on their website, www.racquettech.com .

fedex27 03-29-2005 11:47 AM

watch the sp videos and practice and your time will go down very quickly. just remember dont move the clamps unless tension is being applied

Rory G 03-29-2005 12:46 PM

I just received my Gamma-6FX machine and it took about 1 1/2 hours for the first string job. I learned by watching sptennis video, USRSA stringing guide that came with the machine, and the pretty light little manual that came with the machine. Also checked out this board quite a bit before starting to learn some helpful tips. The toughest parts for me were tensioning the first couple of mains and the location of the knots and knotting/sharing and skipping holes (and the cross starting knot). Also, something simple like correctly uncoiling and measuring/cutting the strings was a brief challenge. All and all it went well and I have since strung a second frame in about 50 minutes...very satisfying. The repetition helped and the process becomes much easier. I also plan to watch a buddy of mine string on his machine to learn other pointers.

iamamultitasker 03-29-2005 03:31 PM

1st one: 1hr +
2nd one: 50min
3rd one: 45min
4th one 35min
5th one: 30min

The big difference between #3 and #5 was learning to weave one ahead. That really cut down my time.