Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Reed: True number one Murray will win US Open (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=282665)

Wolland 08-21-2009 11:48 AM

Reed: True number one Murray will win US Open

Simon Reed is a British sports (i.e.tennis) commentator. You can read the whole article here:

http://eurosport.yahoo.com/21082009/...-win-open.html

So what do you think? I'll tell you what I think about this later on.

Edit: Ooops, sorry, I didn't see that someone had already posted this. Once again, sorry.

veritech 08-21-2009 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolland (Post 3834363)
Edit: Ooops, sorry, I didn't see that someone already posted this. Once again, sorry.

it's cool, don't worry about it. ;)

grafselesfan 08-21-2009 11:54 AM

True #1 without even winning a slam. What blind homerism. Federer atleast is a many time and recent multiple slam champion. That being said for me the true #1 is Nadal as he lost it through injury rather than by Federer outperforming him to take it.

drwood 08-21-2009 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grafselesfan (Post 3834389)
True #1 without even winning a slam. What blind homerism. Federer atleast is a many time and recent multiple slam champion. That being said for me the true #1 is Nadal as he lost it through injury rather than by Federer outperforming him to take it.

The true #1 is the player who wins the most slams in a year -- with RARE exception. Part of being a great player is playing. That's why Fed is #1 now and Nadal isn't.

cknobman 08-21-2009 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolland (Post 3834363)
Simon Reed is a British sports (i.e.tennis) commentator.

Your first sentence pretty much sums it up. What else do you expect him to say?

vndesu 08-21-2009 12:42 PM

^^ id have to agree
i think to some extent being #1 with no slams doesnt really stick out as much as compared to federer and nadal winnings..

GraniteHoosier 08-21-2009 12:47 PM

The rankings never lie, the true #1 is Roger Federer. If/when Murray has the most points then he will be #1. Geez, it seems like a lot of media are in a hurry to anoint Murray before he crosses the finish line, I don't recall ever seeing anything like this about Fed and Nadal before they were #1 (and Nadal had 5 slams before he got there). Don't get me wrong, I think Murray will get there, but I'd rather wait for him to achieve it before talking about it.

Lotto 08-21-2009 12:50 PM

Quote:

I agree with part of that. However, can we be sure that Federer wouldn't still be no.1 if Nadal wasn't injured?? Who's to say a fully fit Rafa would win Wimbledon???

Murray however.....what the **** is he on about?

P_Agony 08-21-2009 12:51 PM

I didn't like this article. I don't mind Reed saying Murray is the true #1 at the moment. Heck, I might even somewhat agree. What bothers me is that he claims Fed was handed both Wimbledon and the FO, and that is simply a false and biased prespective.

Fed had to fight hard to win both titles, and was close on a few occasions to lose both. Those are the first two slams he won by heart rather by pure skill. Lost all respect I had for Reed.

mTm28 08-21-2009 12:52 PM

lol have you seen all of the hate comments about that guy at the bottom of the article? TBH i do think he is talking a load of rubbish. Nobodies the "true" number one Federer earned it back and Murray will have to earn it if he wants the top spot.

timeisonmyside 08-21-2009 01:00 PM

The real #1 is the player who has the most points at the moment, and that's Federer.

Rippy 08-21-2009 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mTm28 (Post 3834644)
lol have you seen all of the hate comments about that guy at the bottom of the article? TBH i do think he is talking a load of rubbish. Nobodies the "true" number one Federer earned it back and Murray will have to earn it if he wants the top spot.

Yeah the comments were pretty funny. There was a really amusingly optimistic one about Nadal which was amusing.

Wolland 08-21-2009 01:38 PM

I really like Murray, but this is just rubbish. Roger is current No. 1 and that's it. And if Murray is a true number one, then that makes Roger an untrue No. 1.:confused: Okay, Andy is a great player, he is in form of his life, but that doesn't make him the best player in the world. He is yet to prove himself by winning a major. And all this rubbish uttered by Reed won't help Murray. Extra pressure and huge expectations can only affect him in a bad way.

luckyboy1300 08-21-2009 01:53 PM

Quote:

federer DID outperform nadal on both the slams. when you're the champ, you outperformed anyone.

Enigma_87 08-21-2009 02:03 PM

How can Murray be a true #1, when Federer is the current holder of 3 GS?

As for the USO. I expect Djokovic to put a challenge and maybe even win it. Roddick has a shout as well IMO.

thalivest 08-21-2009 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enigma_87 (Post 3835002)
How can Murray be a true #1, when Federer is the current holder of 3 GS?

As for the USO. I expect Djokovic to put a challenge and maybe even win it. Roddick has a shout as well IMO.

LOL Djokovic wont win the U.S Open. Unless he gets a gift draw like Cincinnati he will probably go out around the round of 16, maybe the quarters at best.

Wolland 08-21-2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thalivest (Post 3835026)
LOL Djokovic wont win the U.S Open. Unless he gets a gift draw like Cincinnati he will probably go out around the round of 16, maybe the quarters at best.

I actually think he might reach semis. Or maybe even win, who knows. And yes, there's no such thing as 'gift draw' on ATP tour.

slicefox 08-21-2009 04:11 PM

Lol calm down guys, some british tosser wrote an article about how big of a murraytard he is.

no reason for alarm

Feņa14 08-21-2009 04:22 PM

I think it's totally wrong to call him a "Murraytard".

Reed is known for his very strange comments on ALL things, to put it down to him being a Brit is missing the mark.

JennyS 08-21-2009 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P_Agony (Post 3834641)
I didn't like this article. I don't mind Reed saying Murray is the true #1 at the moment. Heck, I might even somewhat agree. What bothers me is that he claims Fed was handed both Wimbledon and the FO, and that is simply a false and biased prespective.

Fed had to fight hard to win both titles, and was close on a few occasions to lose both. Those are the first two slams he won by heart rather by pure skill. Lost all respect I had for Reed.

If Fed was handed Wimbledon, he did so by beating the player who beat Murray!