Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Shoes and Apparel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Any reason to wear cotton clothing/caps? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=287458)

New Daddy 09-12-2009 04:29 PM

Any reason to wear cotton clothing/caps?

I've been using tennis shirts/pants made of dri-fit and find no reason to go back to cotton. Dri-fit remains drier and lighter than cotton. Recently, I also purchased a tennis cap made of dri-fit too, which I didn't know existed, and just love it.

I think it could be personal preference, but is there any reason to wear clothing/caps made of cotton when synthetic dri-fit seemingly affords so much advantage in terms of dryness and weight over cotton?

Any thoughts?

i love t3nn1s 09-12-2009 04:32 PM

maybe some people like feeling their sweat

SuperFly 09-12-2009 05:19 PM

Cheaper, works better in wind and cooler temperature and is the best feeling ever when you take off a sweat-drenched cotton shirt.

120mphBodyServe 09-12-2009 05:28 PM

No, none at all. I wish trendy "fashion label" casual t shirts wouldn't be made from cotton either, since it shrinks, the neck collar stretches and you have to buy new t shirts every 2 years.

xcourt4hand 09-13-2009 02:18 PM

and the best reason of all...

...no ironing required!!!

Mikey Fresh 09-13-2009 06:12 PM

i wear cotton hats. not because i like cotton hats just because i hate dri fit ones

LPShanet 09-14-2009 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Daddy (Post 3924852)
I've been using tennis shirts/pants made of dri-fit and find no reason to go back to cotton. Dri-fit remains drier and lighter than cotton. Recently, I also purchased a tennis cap made of dri-fit too, which I didn't know existed, and just love it.

I think it could be personal preference, but is there any reason to wear clothing/caps made of cotton when synthetic dri-fit seemingly affords so much advantage in terms of dryness and weight over cotton?

Any thoughts?

In rare cases, some people have allergies to synthetic fabrics or skin sensitivity. No performance reason, though.

mikeler 09-15-2009 05:45 AM

I don't like cotton, but even here in Florida you can get very chilled in the winter time with the dry fit stuff.

dextor 09-15-2009 08:34 AM

I like the feel of cotton better. Polyester feels weird on my skin.

ci2ca 09-16-2009 10:29 PM

Same, I prefer the feel of cotton. Most pros practice in cotton tees as well don't they?

remrusty 09-17-2009 06:49 PM

i think its just to get sweaty lol.
i did think it was strange seing pros practice in cotton tees all wet, when they play in drifits?

LuckyR 09-18-2009 04:48 PM

I preferencially wear cotton tees when it is cooler than average as I get a bit chilly with synthetics.

Teamtomo 09-18-2009 11:18 PM

I wear cotton tennis clothing mainly in the winter or at night tennis squads.

Teamtomo 09-18-2009 11:19 PM

I also think cotton clothing feels nicer.

Ben42 10-10-2009 03:15 PM

I do not like the feel of the synthetics I've tried. They are scratchier than cotton.

They also smell terrible in a very short while.

NadalFan1990 10-10-2009 06:13 PM

I think it is something where you need to look at preference. I personally hate Under Armour dri-fit shirts, I dont mind the shorts, but I find the shirts itchy. most any other brands' dri-fit shirts I'll wear.
In terms of shorts, I wear polyester exclusively.

in terms of hats, I'll wear cotton or full dri-fit, I dont like wearing trucker hats, I find that they scrunch up terribly after you throw them in the wash. the lacoste cotton baseball caps that roddick wears now are really absorbent, I find

robby c 10-11-2009 07:27 AM

In the wind and colder weather, I layer poly with cotton over it. Or break out a vest, or warmups. All my clothes are navy and white for mixing and matching.
I got a monster bag for the extra clothes rather than racquets. Although I carry 4 sticks most trips to the courts.
Robby C

[d]ragon 10-11-2009 10:41 AM

My body doesn't sweat alot so cotton doesn't really get sweaty (only on hot summer days) and I play alot at night. Also, I just like the feel and weight of cotton over polyester. Just preference

Bad Dog 10-11-2009 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ci2ca (Post 3950527)
Same, I prefer the feel of cotton. Most pros practice in cotton tees as well don't they?

Yes, even the top pros, including Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal, prefer to wear cotton T-shirts on the practice courts, especially on the hottest days. When they are not being paid by sponsors for official matches, they apparently feel much more comfortable in cotton. :)

Bad Dog 10-11-2009 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by remrusty (Post 3953341)
i think its just to get sweaty lol.
i did think it was strange seing pros practice in cotton tees all wet, when they play in drifits?

During official matches at the U.S. Open, Nadalís DriFit poly shirt was dripping wet.