Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   You vs Federer! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=290049)

bottledwater 09-24-2009 03:38 PM

You vs Federer!

Good ol' Roger just happens to be having a stroll by your local tennis club where you happen to be alone, and practicing serves. He's feeling friendly.

"Hey Roger, how's it going?"
"Good thanks, you?"
"Not bad thanks. Wanna have a hit?"
"Yeah, sure".

How many points do you think you can take off him? A game perhaps?
Personally, I think I may be able to take him to a deuce or something.

What about you?

kimbahpnam 09-24-2009 03:41 PM

i guarantee i will win every unforced error made by Fed.

TennisandMusic 09-24-2009 03:41 PM

Considering how he has crushed some of the better pros (bagels to Hewitt, Gaudio, even Nadal on a few occasions etc), I think you would have to count yourself as darn lucky if you won a handful of points.

If I ever got him to 15-40 on my own serve, I'd be thrilled. "I won a point off Federer" is about as big a bragging right as some cheesy club player could have. Not that bragging is ever a good thing.

SuperFly 09-24-2009 03:44 PM

A better question is why would Federer train in a public club? He would be swarmed immediately.

bottledwater 09-24-2009 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperFly (Post 3973138)
A better question is why would Federer train in a public club? He would be swarmed immediately.

Logic aside :)

VivalaVida 09-24-2009 03:47 PM

I saw a vid of Federer playing with a young 14 yr old kid with solid and developed groundstrokes during a public event. This kid was really going for his grounstrokes and Roger was being a nice guy and tapping every single ground stroke right back. I am only a 4.0 tennis player and I would go for a winner on every shot in hopes that I land it or Fed misses.

BreakPoint 09-24-2009 03:49 PM

If Federer played like the way he did in the US Open final against Del Potro, I might even get a game off of him. :shock:

(All on his double-faults, of course. ;) )

bottledwater 09-24-2009 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 3973153)
If Federer played like the way he did in the US Open final against Del Potro, I might even get a game off of him. :shock:

(All on his double-faults, of course. ;) )

On the last set, of course ;)
Actually, that's a good point. Probably will definitely get a game. Use Nadal tactics!

VivalaVida 09-24-2009 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bottledwater (Post 3973165)
On the last set, of course ;)
Actually, that's a good point. Probably will definitely get a game. Use Nadal tactics!

lol, an average tennis player wont even get close to getting the ball that high to feds backhand. Federer will munch those backhands for winners. :)

Tsonga#1fan 09-24-2009 03:56 PM

I'll win as many points as he allows me to.

bottledwater 09-24-2009 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VivalaVida (Post 3973168)
lol, an average tennis player wont even get close to getting the ball that high to feds backhand. Federer will munch those backhands for winners. :)

Well, some of us haven't done too bad, tennis wise. You never know.

stoo 09-24-2009 03:58 PM

Great question!!!

However, in all reality, I don't care how good anyone claims to be on this wonderful website. If Rog decided to play his best, most of us would be lucky to to keep a rally going for over 5 or 6 shots. As for point totals, again I think we'd be lucky to get a point on him without him making an unforced error. That is unless we served underhand and dinked every shot back.

TennisandMusic 09-24-2009 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bottledwater (Post 3973172)
Well, some of us haven't done too bad, tennis wise. You never know.

Like I said...

Are you anywhere NEAR a pro? Did you play Div 1 college tennis? Federer can bagel the top pros. What small prayer would you have unless you are also a pro? You would be lucky to win points.

People overestimate their tennis ability far too often. There are some hilarious examples on this board even.

ZhengJieisagoddess 09-24-2009 04:00 PM

I'd rather hit with Chrissie...but with either one of these greats I do not think I'd win a single point. I am just in total awe of them.

bottledwater 09-24-2009 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisandMusic (Post 3973181)
Like I said...

Are you anywhere NEAR a pro? Did you play Div 1 college tennis? Federer can bagel the top pros. What small prayer would you have unless you are also a pro? You would be lucky to win points.

People overestimate their tennis ability far too often. There are some hilarious examples on this board even.

I play for City University, in London. Isn't too bad, in my opinion.
But like somebody said, I'd win as many points as he allows me to win.

edberg505 09-24-2009 04:06 PM

It may sound like a great idea, playing Roger. But I don't think it would be very fun at all. Just think about it. Anything that's even remotely short on his side of the court is a winner. Hell, just thinking about it now it doesn't sound very fun at all. I've played Div 1 tennis so I'm pretty sure I could get points, but games? I doubt it. I wouldn't like to play Nadal either basically for the same reason. I wouldn't mind playing someone like Murray, Monfils, or Santoro. I think I could have some good points with them.

35ft6 09-24-2009 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bottledwater (Post 3973122)
How many points do you think you can take off him? A game perhaps?
Personally, I think I may be able to take him to a deuce or something.

What makes you think this? Are you the number 1 singles player on your state college team? Because even then, you might not get deuce.

I think if he didn't care, I would win as many points as he wanted to hand me. If he was trying even a little bit, he could almost golden set me. I say "almost" because he might frame a shot being as bored as he would be.

1970CRBase 09-24-2009 04:10 PM

http://www.tennis.com/magazine/issue.aspx?id=36322

The article isn't online but should be in that issue of Tennis mag. IIRC, one of the editors once tried to play a set for real against Mac, he didn't win a point until Mac hit the ball out (probably out of boredom). Mac vs Lendl or Wilander, an equal player of his level on the other side of the net who could put equal and opposing pressure on him, is one thing, Mac vs normal people is quite another. Against that editor, Mac could apparently put the ball anywhere he wanted.

Threads like this are just laughable. Same like questions in the vein of "oh, what if Fed were playing with a wood racquet against you, how many points? What if Fed were playing with a wok, how many points.......... " You just don't recognise the lightyears and lightyears in skill between you and someone like Mac or Fed who are amongst the greatest professonal players ever to have played.

You vs Fed? Never mind winning a point, you will be lucky to hit a second stroke in a rally.

35ft6 09-24-2009 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoo (Post 3973178)
Great question!!!

However, in all reality, I don't care how good anyone claims to be on this wonderful website. If Rog decided to play his best, most of us would be lucky to to keep a rally going for over 5 or 6 shots.

If he was playing his best? You would be lucky to get three balls back if he was hitting it right at you at 80% power. If he was actually going for corner, he could end every point in 1 or 2 shots. These guys hit with a level of precision and power you have never even come close to experiencing. You might as well talk about how many home runs you could hit against a major league pitcher.

35ft6 09-24-2009 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edberg505 (Post 3973196)
I've played Div 1 tennis so I'm pretty sure I could get points, but games? I doubt it. I wouldn't like to play Nadal either basically for the same reason. I wouldn't mind playing someone like Murray, Monfils, or Santoro. I think I could have some good points with them.

Edberg505, this is the first truly crazy thing I've ever seen you post. :) You're crazy, man.