Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Hyo's latest and greatest video - NTRP 5.5 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=291176)

hyogen 10-02-2009 02:08 AM

Hyo's latest and greatest video - NTRP 5.5
 
minus 3.0 NTRP points :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umqmGzCV7kY

thanks for critiquing.

and just for fun, rate me in the poll

tricky 10-02-2009 02:35 AM

Footwork:
Step patterns are in wrong order. Try tracking the incoming ball with the foot closest to the estimated strike point.

FH:

Non-hitting arm is getting in the way of your follow-through. You want your non-hitting arm to be farther in front, through the line of your shot.

You're stepping out with the inside foot rather than the outside foot. This is constricting your swing, and preventing you from fully loading into a shot.

Inside-out FH looks pretty good. You get weight into that shot, rather than your CC and running DTL shots.

When you're on the run, your FH gets really scrunched up.

BH:

Contact point is too close to body. You're not getting adequate extension through the shot.

Avoid switching between 1H BH and 2H BH for your topspin BH during the same rally. You want to get down the right stance and unit turn for your topspin BH. Switching between the two screws that up IMO.

I think sometimes you're hitting the ball after almost all the weight has already transferred into the front foot. You'll want to improve your timing.

As you initiate the takeback, you'll want to dip that front shoulder. Bringing the front arm "down" helps to do that and initiate a smile pattern for your takeback.

Journey:
This a tennis clip or Hyogen's sexy time music video :D ??? Anyway, don't stop believing dude!

MarrratSafin 10-02-2009 03:17 AM

Hyo, can't really make out if you've improved or not compared to the last video I see but the video itself has certainly improved.:lol: My vote is you gonna win USO next year but hey, looks pretty good like 4.0 IMO. Nice, keep up the good work!:)

chess9 10-02-2009 06:41 AM

Forehand is 4.5 range.
Backhand is 4.0 range.
Music is 7.0.
Production value is 6.0.
:)

-Robert

drakulie 10-02-2009 07:03 AM

^^^Good analysis.

Hyogen, always enjoy your vids!! Great stuff, and thanks for sharing.

Also, love you busting out with a one-hander. sweeettt!

smoothtennis 10-02-2009 08:02 AM

Good stuff from Tricky as always.

On all the one handers, counter balance with the left arm more - not bad now, but can get better.

Tricky hit the nail on the head with the crossover step comment on the CC Forehands. Do a lookup on something called the Step Out.

I watched a few times, and can't see why, but your 2HBH at 3:53 is NICE. Much better timing on that shot than your other 2HBH's. You seem more relaxed on that shot for some reason.

Great Vid Hyogen!

hyogen 10-02-2009 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tricky (Post 3991630)
Footwork:
Step patterns are in wrong order. Try tracking the incoming ball with the foot closest to the estimated strike point.

FH:

Non-hitting arm is getting in the way of your follow-through. You want your non-hitting arm to be farther in front, through the line of your shot.

You're stepping out with the inside foot rather than the outside foot. This is constricting your swing, and preventing you from fully loading into a shot.

Inside-out FH looks pretty good. You get weight into that shot, rather than your CC and running DTL shots.

When you're on the run, your FH gets really scrunched up.

BH:

Contact point is too close to body. You're not getting adequate extension through the shot.

Avoid switching between 1H BH and 2H BH for your topspin BH during the same rally. You want to get down the right stance and unit turn for your topspin BH. Switching between the two screws that up IMO.

I think sometimes you're hitting the ball after almost all the weight has already transferred into the front foot. You'll want to improve your timing.

As you initiate the takeback, you'll want to dip that front shoulder. Bringing the front arm "down" helps to do that and initiate a smile pattern for your takeback.

Journey:
This a tennis clip or Hyogen's sexy time music video :D ??? Anyway, don't stop believing dude!

haha, i really hope youtube doesn't take down the music...it's already been flagged for copywritten music infringement D:

What you're saying about my forehand makes sense. I'll put my hand farther in front....and try to figure out what you're saying about my footwork (backwards)... Perhaps what it is, is that I'm hitting it mid-way between a closed stance and open stance? My core rotates pretty fast to where my feet shift midair...but I kinda see what you're saying about getting scrunched up.

backhand...man, my 2hbh has never been better because I have been focusing on hitting the ball out in front! I'll work on that unit turn....dipping the front shoulder and arm is good advice that I can follow I think.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chess9 (Post 3991901)
Forehand is 4.5 range.
Backhand is 4.0 range.
Music is 7.0.
Production value is 6.0.
:)

-Robert

haha, thanks. As for actual league play I dunno, so I very well may be a 3.0 in actual match play...there's almost nothing I hate more than playing dinkers/moonballers/pushers -_-. I do hold my serve pretty well, though...so maybe even I could win a couple games off higher ranked players! Should I assume that the music/production values are on a 7.0+ you don't need a rating cuz you're a pro scale? or a out of 10 scale! :shock:

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakulie (Post 3991962)
^^^Good analysis.

Hyogen, always enjoy your vids!! Great stuff, and thanks for sharing.

Also, love you busting out with a one-hander. sweeettt!

I tried to make my vids less boring. I was watching my boxing vid recently and I got bored even though there were some gems to be found throughout. I'll steer away from too much slow-motion stuff....in fact...........

no one has commented on the part in the video where a ball hits my camera and the "oh *****!!!"! Gosh dang video skimmers :evil: I had the camera positioned to where it would fall into a basket of balls...but it could very well have fallen forward.

Also, I'll never use a class 4 memory card again....most of these vids are a little choppy because it couldn't keep up with the camera (need a class 6 SD card).

hyogen 10-02-2009 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoothtennis (Post 3992090)
Good stuff from Tricky as always.

On all the one handers, counter balance with the left arm more - not bad now, but can get better.

Tricky hit the nail on the head with the crossover step comment on the CC Forehands. Do a lookup on something called the Step Out.

I watched a few times, and can't see why, but your 2HBH at 3:53 is NICE. Much better timing on that shot than your other 2HBH's. You seem more relaxed on that shot for some reason.

Great Vid Hyogen!

Ah yes, I will look that up. I've never really focused on my forehand before because it's always been pretty reliable for me--my backhand on the otherhand.... up until a couple years ago or so, it could have been the reason for me giving up on tennis...just very discouraging.

the onehander.......I really enjoy them! I'm able to hit the down the line shot better, but it's still primitive. Only as of a couple weeks ago I seem to have somewhat figured out the mechanics of the one hander... the 95 square inch head seems to have helped as well on the k6.1 team. Seems more solid and less "play".

I just looked at that 3:53 backhand and I agree...it didn't seem forced at all. I really like the way my arms/hands followed through for that shot....looked a little Agassi-like or something... *sniff/tear*

I think in my other backhands I'm following through not as close to my head on the right side...what do you think?

smoothtennis 10-02-2009 08:29 AM

Hyo said:
Quote:

....and try to figure out what you're saying about my footwork (backwards)... Perhaps what it is, is that I'm hitting it mid-way between a closed stance and open stance? My core rotates pretty fast to where my feet shift midair...but I kinda see what you're saying about getting scrunched up.
Go watch your vid again on the forehands, and forget looking at the stroke. Watch your feet. After you check step, and immediately see the ball is coming to your forehand side, you cross your left foot over your right foot to start moving to the ball. That is a crossover step.

You ideally want to use what is called a step out step. When you see the ball going to your forehand, you immediately 'step-out' with your RIGHT foot towards the ball. It works wonders on more efficient footwork to the forehand. And it has to be drilled usually off court with shadow swings all week long before it feels natural on the court. Try it out.

hyogen 10-02-2009 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoothtennis (Post 3992145)
Hyo said:


Go watch your vid again on the forehands, and forget looking at the stroke. Watch your feet. After you check step, and immediately see the ball is coming to your forehand side, you cross your left foot over your right foot to start moving to the ball. That is a crossover step.

You ideally want to use what is called a step out step. When you see the ball going to your forehand, you immediately 'step-out' with your RIGHT foot towards the ball. It works wonders on more efficient footwork to the forehand. And it has to be drilled usually off court with shadow swings all week long before it feels natural on the court. Try it out.

OK. will definitely work on this... so, i would be hitting the forehand with an open stance, then, right?

smoothtennis 10-02-2009 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyogen (Post 3992165)
OK. will definitely work on this... so, i would be hitting the forehand with an open stance, then, right?

Doesn't matter Hyogen. You are concerned with stepping out to the ball with that FIRST step- what you do when you get there is up to how much time you have. If you have no time, sure open stance is grand. If you have a little more time, you can go 3/4 or neutral if you like.

The step out should give you a little more time for sure.

tennisdad65 10-02-2009 08:48 AM

I like the idea of putting a rating poll with your video :)

but it is tough to rate anyone unless you see them play ~4 games. you gotta see the serve and return, handling weird balls, midcourt bloopers etc.. before you can rate anyone.

any matchplay videos?

Storm_Kyori 10-02-2009 09:04 AM

Nice vid Hyo and diggin' that Bloodsport music. Never knew the name of the song, but I liked it for some reason.

Nice 1hander, I was hitting mine last night and some decent ones. Nice to see other 1hbh.

pug 10-02-2009 09:08 AM

Hydro,

Thanks for sharing. I have been playing for 1 year and threads like this are great for learning. How long have you been playing? I am a couple hours from PDX maybe we can practice sometime.

hyogen 10-02-2009 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pug (Post 3992227)
Hydro,

Thanks for sharing. I have been playing for 1 year and threads like this are great for learning. How long have you been playing? I am a couple hours from PDX maybe we can practice sometime.

i've been playing for over 10 years...a little in jr. varsity in HS and bumped up to varsity...played for the intramural tennis club at Oregon State...their tennis program isn't very strong...in fact they don't even have a real team. only in the past couple years have I really started getting more consistent and decent especially on the backhand side and serve. Alas, one of the big obstacles I'll have to overcome is my fitness/weight gain. I need to lose about 30-40lbs...really -_- all of it has been gained within the 5 years I've been out of college, and sadly all within the first year and half.

i've gotten foot problems (plantar fasciitis) due to my weight gain...and i'm sure all sorts of other issues related to it

hyogen 10-02-2009 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Storm_Kyori (Post 3992218)
Nice vid Hyo and diggin' that Bloodsport music. Never knew the name of the song, but I liked it for some reason.

Nice 1hander, I was hitting mine last night and some decent ones. Nice to see other 1hbh.

thanks man. It's called "On My Own" by Stan Bush. You should also download Stan Bush's "Fight to Survive"!!!!!!! Kumite, kumite!

hyogen 10-02-2009 01:32 PM

oh yeah, by the way pug I'm totally down to hit. may be tough in the rainy months ahead though. i tend to be pretty busy every day as well since i work 6 days a week

ubermeyer 10-02-2009 02:28 PM

where's the 1.0 option? :D

no but seriously, you are definitely not a 2.5. You are probably a 4.0-4.5 or higher, if you can hit like that in matches and are consistent.

moroni 10-02-2009 02:47 PM

well i cant really say foe sure because i dunno the level of the player you are playing/ where the ball is landing and if you are consistent in match play

but a rough estimate is 4.0 could be a little lower or a little higher

tricky 10-02-2009 03:15 PM

Quote:

I'll put my hand farther in front....and try to figure out what you're saying about my footwork (backwards)...
For me, footwork is the most important aspect of stroke production, because it's the foundation for the unit turn. Or, rather, bad footwork is the biggest reason why strokes don't progress. Also, if you have strong footwork, you'll also adjust your stances according to the shot and path of incoming ball.

One way to enforce footwork is to limit or eliminate your takeback (on both BH and FH wings) while practicing strokes. If your footwork is bad, you'll struggle. If the footwork is good, your contact point will be identical to the one were you to use a full takeback, and you won't have an issue with timing or overrotation.

If you're looking for something more concrete, you can try the following. This is somewhat like Revolutionary Tennis:

When practicing, make a commitment to always move forward or into court, even if you can't get to the ball. You may have to start a bit farther back from the baseline. After the split step, you follow these rules:

1) If the ball is to your right, step out with the right foot.
2) If the ball is to your left, step out with the left foot.

That's it. But you'll find that instinctively, you'll want to cross over with other foot. That's something you'll need to work on. When you get this down, you'll notice faster and "quieter" feet as you move. More importantly, you'll notice changes in both your FH and BHs, and that you're now tracking the incoming ball with the outside foot.

Once you get that down, then you can work on more complex footwork to move not only into court, but truly side-to-side or backwards.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse