Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Shoes and Apparel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Propulse II Arch Support problems? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=292203)

ilikephobo 10-08-2009 03:16 PM

Propulse II Arch Support problems?

Off the courts, i do some footwork drills to keep myself in shape.
I usually wear my old Nike Courtballistec 1.2's for this. and when i move around i try to stay on my toes. The other day i decided, maybe i should do this with my Propulse IIs since i wear those on the court. After about. 5 minutes into my first drill i start to feel pain in both my feet at the arches. I stopped and put on my CBs and continued and i had no problems whatsoever. Is anyone else noticing that the arch support of Propulse IIs are somewhat... lacking? Are Propulse IIs just too flexible for my feet?
With Flat footed movement, it's not too much of a problem.

Love50 10-08-2009 04:09 PM

IMO, it's the cushioning (especially in the forefoot) rather than the arch support. I have flat feet too and also use the PII for matches only but it hurts if I try to do drills :(

I have the same problem with Asics GRII, even though that shoe "appears" to be well-cushioned.

ilikephobo 10-08-2009 04:32 PM

whaaaat. i thought that Propulse 2s always had way more cushioning then my CB 1.2s

i thought Cushioning was just how comfortable and soft it felt and arch support is how stiff it is where your feet flex and the arch.

interesting about the GR 2s, i would expect the same problem, they look really soft and flexible.

I think we'll probably have to look else where for shoes. such as the Nike, BC IIs, Courtballistec 1.3s, or like Barricades.

ScoopsHaaganDazs 10-09-2009 07:59 PM

Arch support is the part of the shoe where the arch of your foot sits on. The level of arch support is how high/low the arch of the shoe is. Cushioning is how much padding is in the shoe. Flexibility is a different thing, but you wouldn't want an extremely soft arch where it doesn't provide any support.

[d]ragon 10-09-2009 09:04 PM

I bet it's that the Propulse 2s have too much arch support. That would make more sense as having too little arch support wouldn't hurt your fee right away but would in the long run while if it were too high, then it would be pushing up against your arches and cause pain. Just checked the TW pages for both shoes and it seems that the CB1.2s have low arch support and Propulse 2s have medium

Love50 10-09-2009 10:39 PM

On the PII, the front part of the sole appears to be a single piece of rubber. Most other shoes have a two-layer soft midsole plus hard outer sole. The arch support depends on how tightly you pull the middle strap. :)

So in my case, no it's not the arch support, it's the forefoot that hurts. In the GRII case, yes the arch area actually hurts more. The arch support doesn't seem that high though, so I have a suspicion it's a combination of the low-to-ground style that doesn't match my foot shape (I prefer the heel to be elevated).

FYI, I have had good experiences with Prince OC & MV styles in the past. More recently, I've tried the K-Swiss Defier and found the cushioning insoles gave me arch problems but the match insoles were ok. Overall though, I felt that the Defier felt a little clumsy and traction on the court was not so good. Right now, I'm using the Lotto Syn Raptor Xtreme Speed and I'm digging them so far.

ScoopsHaaganDazs 10-10-2009 11:16 AM

For GRII, I'd assume the arch is too low. GRII has a pretty low arch compared to other shoes.