Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Lendl playing doubles...Mixed doubles!!! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=292323)

SpaceCadet 10-09-2009 08:16 AM

Lendl playing doubles...Mixed doubles!!!
 
I'd heard about these matches, but never seen any. This is a great clip!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkBedBUjcgI

:):):)

Mick 10-09-2009 08:18 AM

wow. lendl and graf on the same team :shock:

SpaceCadet 10-09-2009 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 4011017)
wow. lendl and graf on the same team :shock:

Yup! Did a big double-take on that one!

Did you see how Emilio and Ivan tagged each other, but still smiled through it?

Mick 10-09-2009 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceCadet (Post 4011166)
Yup! Did a big double-take on that one!

Did you see how Emilio and Ivan tagged each other, but still smiled through it?

i think it's because it's an exhibition match -- if it was a regular match, they probably would not have taken it that well :)

jimbo333 10-09-2009 10:30 AM

Yeah it was an exhibition:)

But what racquet is Lendl using???

Is it a Prestige Pro paintjobbed as a Mizuno?

It certainly had lots of lead at 3 and 9 oclock, whatever it was (as can be seen right at end of clip):)

SpaceCadet 10-09-2009 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbo333 (Post 4011384)
Yeah it was an exhibition:)

But what racquet is Lendl using???

Is it a Prestige Pro paintjobbed as a Mizuno?

It certainly had lots of lead at 3 and 9 oclock, whatever it was (as can be seen right at end of clip):)

I think it's the same as this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4GVllyLWhU

I've long wondered as well. If it is indeed a custom Bosworth frame, was there a non-custom sibling and did it ever hit the stores?

timnz 10-09-2009 01:07 PM

Lendl German Speaker?
 
I had heard many years ago that Lendl spoke Czech, Slovak, Polish, German and English. I had never seen him speak German before.

He seems to not need any translation (unlike Sanchez) to the interviewer posing questions to him in German and seems to respond quickly.

jimbo333 10-09-2009 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceCadet (Post 4011579)
I think it's the same as this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4GVllyLWhU

I've long wondered as well. If it is indeed a custom Bosworth frame, was there a non-custom sibling and did it ever hit the stores?

He's definitely using a Bosworth Fox frame in the clip you have just shown, and there are a few retail frames that are similar, in mold at least!

The one he is using with Steffi is a different frame to that one, anyone else have any ideas?

jimbo333 10-09-2009 05:23 PM

Whoops!

Had another look, and it does look like the same racquet after all. The Bosworth Fox, with Mizuno paintjob:)

Darth_Timmaayyy!! 10-09-2009 11:11 PM

Wow, I forgot just how high Steffi's skirts were.. No leg-in's in those days guy's..

As for frames. Lendl was using his modified Mizuno frames, and Steffi looked like she was still using a blacked out 200G...

SpaceCadet 10-24-2009 07:29 AM

Another clip from the same tournament. This time it's Lendl/Graf vs. McEnroe/Garrison-Jackson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk3uuhPGLa4

What racquet is McEnroe using? It's no longer the Max 200G. It looks different from Graf's.

jimbo333 10-24-2009 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceCadet (Post 4051902)
Another clip from the same tournament. This time it's Lendl/Graf vs. McEnroe/Garrison-Jackson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk3uuhPGLa4

What racquet is McEnroe using? It's no longer the Max 200G. It looks different from Graf's.

Great to see this:)

Lendl was definitely using the Bosworth Fox Mizuno, Steffi definitely using the purple/green Max200G. I just can't clearly see what McEnroe was using but I agree it doesn't seem to be a Max200G, possibly one of the Snauwaerts he was trying out around that time!

Whatever it was he didn't like it:shock:

galain 10-25-2009 03:35 AM

Yeas - strange to see Lendl without his adidas frame.

And it's obvious he was never going to be a world class doubles player, but it's equally obvious he knew the doubles game better than he was ever given credit for. Nice vid - thanks for posting it!

galain 10-25-2009 03:39 AM

By the way - was the Bosworth frame he was using a custom built Bosworth job, or a Fox frame modified by Bosworth? Anyone know?

jimbo333 10-25-2009 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by galain (Post 4053508)
By the way - was the Bosworth frame he was using a custom built Bosworth job, or a Fox frame modified by Bosworth? Anyone know?

I think it was a Fox frame modified by Bosworth with a Mizuno stencil, but I could be wrong.

Also it's interesting that nobody can work out which racquet McEnroe is playing with!

SpaceCadet 10-26-2009 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbo333 (Post 4053977)
Also it's interesting that nobody can work out which racquet McEnroe is playing with!

Hard to believe that the board is stumped! :shock:

Somebody's gotta know what stick McEnroe's using. Didn't he swtich to Volkl after the 200G? Could this be the Volkl prototype?

hoodjem 10-26-2009 08:02 AM

Watch this video http://www.youtube.com/user/stehag1#p/a/u/0/t7MRuln582k
around 2:30-40 and you will see the strangest backhand--McEnroe's chop.

SpaceCadet 10-26-2009 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by galain (Post 4053506)
Yeas - strange to see Lendl without his adidas frame.

And it's obvious he was never going to be a world class doubles player, but it's equally obvious he knew the doubles game better than he was ever given credit for. Nice vid - thanks for posting it!

Glad you liked the vids! I had fun watching them.

Lendl did win 6 doubles tournaments, and achieved a career-high doubles ranking of 20. Not too shabby!

kiki 11-17-2012 10:45 AM

Mandlikova was asked why she never played mixed doubles with Lendl, whom she knew from their junior days ( and were pretty good friends back then). " You know, I play doubles for fun...and Ivan isnīt the funniest person in the world"

Great Uncle Bulgaria 11-18-2012 04:53 AM

If memory serves he also played the Hopman Cup with Mary Jo Fernandez. The only time he represented the US I think.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse