Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   When is it too cold to play outside? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=292444)

tennytive 10-10-2009 05:02 AM

When is it too cold to play outside?

Are there any polar bear tennis clubs?

I started playing with a bunch of guys here in the Chicago area who say they show up until the snow starts to fly. We only play once a week, so I hate to miss out, especially since it's so close to shutting it down for the winter.

This is doubles, so it's not like we're killing ourselves out there, but I'm already playing with nagging injuries as it is, and wonder if I could make things worse by not being smart about the weather. Then again, maybe it's no big deal.

I do remember playing in November once many years back, but that was a relatively warm day. But swimming in the lake afterwards was no bargain. Significant shrinkage…

charliefedererer 10-10-2009 05:50 AM

Look.
People enjoy all sorts of winter sports even though it is really cold outside.
So there is no reason not to play tennis on a cold day, as long as the court is in good condition.
I play right down to 32 degrees. There should be plenty of afternoons in Chicago when the temperature gets that high over the next few months.
Warm up beforehand with a little jog around the court, some agility drills, practice swings, a reasonably long pre match rally and try to keeps the game moving.
Wear nylon and fleece that will wick sweat away. Shed clothing as you warm up so you don't overheat. (You can always put another thin layer back on.) Buy some football receiver's gloves. Make sure your tennis shoes have good traction (Asics Gel Resolution II's have a slightly softer sole that doesn't seem to harden up as much as many others.) You may find that non pressurised balls bounce better in the cold than regular pressurised ball. Be prepared to string your racquet slightly looser, use a softer string, and still have to restring more often from broken strings.
C'mon.
You're a Bears fan.
Be a man.

tennytive 10-10-2009 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliefedererer (Post 4013751)
C'mon.
You're a Bears fan.
Be a man.

LOL. Well therein lies the dilemma. We play on Sundays right when the Bears play their early games. So it's either play tennis, or watch the game?

Thanks for the cold weather tips. The guys tell me they've been playing this way for years, so it must be no big deal.

charliefedererer 10-10-2009 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennytive (Post 4013805)
Well therein lies the dilemma. We play on Sundays right when the Bears play their early games. So it's either play tennis, or watch the game?

Check on scores with your Blackberry.
Tivo the first three quarters.
No excuses, now.

SystemicAnomaly 10-10-2009 12:38 PM

When I was still in my 40s, didn't have too much trouble playing in temps in the low 30Fs. These days, my joints have a difficult time tolerating it. It take much longer to warm up the strokes and if the rallies are too short, the body starts getting very tight.

Balls don't bounce very well in colder temps, even temps in the 50Fs. Need to warm them up by bouncing them a lot or artifically with a heating pad so that they don't feel like Flinstone's balls (aka rocks).

TnTBigman 10-10-2009 01:20 PM

When u can't feel ur fingers. or when ur eyes water too damn much to properly see the ball.

Mick 10-10-2009 01:35 PM

if i were you guys, i would consider indoor tennis :)

mikeler 10-10-2009 01:36 PM

I have the opposite problem down in Florida at the moment. This October record heat wave with highs of 95 degrees is brutal. It was 80 degrees at 8 AM this morning and humid. Please send a cold front down here!

SystemicAnomaly 10-10-2009 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 4014560)
if i were you guys, i would consider indoor tennis :)

Not very many indoor courts in this area.
Some of the more exclusive=pricey clubs have a few.

Cup8489 10-10-2009 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 4014564)
I have the opposite problem down in Florida at the moment. This October record heat wave with highs of 95 degrees is brutal. It was 80 degrees at 8 AM this morning and humid. Please send a cold front down here!

only if you throw us some heat! :)

i just played with my uncle this afternoon, 33 degrees here. we actually played very well, but spent most of the match slightly out of breath, b/c we didn't wait more than 10 seconds between points. i had 4 layers on, two longsleeve cotton shirts, a polyester underneath those, and a hooded cotton sweatshirt over all. wool long underwear with track pants over it. i used my older tennis shoes, where the tread wore down a bit, better grip than the very stiff new rubber. didn't need gloves, my hands stayed warm. kept a stocking cap on though.

it looked absurd, but movement was not a problem at all. people walking to the school for a swim meet indoors were looking at us like we were nuts lol.

but...i am afraid i don't think i'll be doing that again. the tennis club returned to its winter 8am-10pm weekday schedule, so there's ample time to play in heated indoor courts :)

Treebeard 10-10-2009 04:50 PM

Is there any concern about racket frame fracture in the cold?
With these new frames and the materials used (carbon, etc.) could that be a concern?

J011yroger 10-10-2009 04:54 PM

65F is where I draw the line.

JR = cold sissy of all time.

J

Djokovicfan4life 10-10-2009 04:56 PM

65 Jo11y, really?

My house has been colder than that before.

J011yroger 10-10-2009 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djokovicfan4life (Post 4014867)
65 Jo11y, really?

My house has been colder than that before.

Yea, anything in the 50s and my back absolutely revolts.

And I can't crack an egg with my serve.

I will practice in the low 60s but only if I can get a good GS drill, or point play game going, not serving/playing.

It is as if once the temp gets into the low 60's my body just raises this big middle finger at any attempt of mine to play.

J

mikeler 10-10-2009 05:39 PM

In college, I played one time when the temps were right around freezing. We were the only suckers there that night and I don't even think we finished the set. It was windy too. I had so much water in my eyes I could barely see.

Nonentity 10-10-2009 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Treebeard (Post 4014851)
Is there any concern about racket frame fracture in the cold?
With these new frames and the materials used (carbon, etc.) could that be a concern?

No, but cold hands lead to less grip, lead to rackets flying loose which leads to broken frames.

Sup2Dresq 10-10-2009 06:41 PM

Anything below 65 degrees and I wont play. Everyone who hits with me knows that rule. 64.. nope...

I need to move to somewhere tropical or with plenty of palm trees!

samster 10-10-2009 06:43 PM

When I was a teenager, I would go hit against the wall in 40 degree weather. Now, anything less than 68F is less than ideal.

BullDogTennis 10-10-2009 07:52 PM

played some last year in like 34 degrees in short sleeves and shorts. don't like to play in any kind of sleeves. my left hand got so cold it swelled up like double when i finnaly got inside and it warmed so fast.

Vermillion 10-10-2009 08:03 PM

Looks like Jolly and Sup2 can be pals after all.

I can tolerate down to 40F but after that is not too fun.