Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   My One Hander (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=293069)

Hrandyrko 10-13-2009 05:00 PM

My One Hander

Here's my backhand. People seem to be throwing up their backhand lately. I'll add to the list. These are warm up intensity backhands I was hitting with a friend. He was wearing jeans and he saw I had an extra racket and asked to hit a few. I'll get some full blown backhands up here in no time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kKfgZBnwS4

ronalditop 10-13-2009 05:06 PM

It looks a little too wristy. Try keeping your wrist firmer on impact and you will gain more control.

Hrandyrko 10-13-2009 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronalditop (Post 4023800)
It looks a little too wristy. Try keeping your wrist firmer on impact and you will gain more control.

Thanks Ronald. I've had some of the adults who I play with at the public court tell me that too. One of em even even told me to do my backhand in slow motion. As I approached the end of the backhand and he saw my wrist flick, he said, "Oh hell no. That's not tennis. That's ballet. Hit the ball the way it was meant to be hit and stop posing."

OUCH!

USERNAME 10-13-2009 05:19 PM

Get more shoulder rotation and yeah cut out the big wrist snap. Also shift ur weight to ur front foot when making contact.

Hrandyrko 10-13-2009 05:21 PM

Okay, thanks for the constructive criticism, USERNAME! I never thought weight transfer was one of my main problems, but I will work on it. I also didn't know I had such a great wrist snap until seeing myself on camera.

Mick 10-13-2009 05:22 PM

hey if you can beat other people with shots that look like ballet, why change it ? ballet is something beautiful :)

USERNAME 10-13-2009 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hrandyrko (Post 4023856)
Okay, thanks for the constructive criticism, USERNAME! I never thought weight transfer was one of my main problems, but I will work on it. I also didn't know I had such a great wrist snap until seeing myself on camera.

Yeah I personally hated seeing myself on cam for the 1st time, really seems to highlight mistakes. Doesnt help to have a coach saying "I TOLD U" at the same time lol! My 1hbh had the same type of snap u have, my coach cut that out real quick tho. He said that the snap is ok in small doses and when ur trying for a shot that needs spin, but using it all the time can lead to injuries and inconsistancy against bigger hitters.

Hrandyrko 10-13-2009 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USERNAME (Post 4023871)
Yeah I personally hated seeing myself on cam for the 1st time, really seems to highlight mistakes. Doesnt help to have a coach saying "I TOLD U" at the same time lol! My 1hbh had the same type of snap u have, my coach cut that out real quick tho. He said that the snap is ok in small doses and when ur trying for a shot that needs spin, but using it all the time can lead to injuries and inconsistancy against bigger hitters.

You're so right, there are some big hitters around here too. My forehand holds ground well against them. But when it comes to the backhand, it gets ugly early. Next time I am outside, I will work on keeping a firm wrist.

USERNAME 10-13-2009 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hrandyrko (Post 4023875)
You're so right, there are some big hitters around here too. My forehand holds ground well against them. But when it comes to the backhand, it gets ugly early. Next time I am outside, I will work on keeping a firm wrist.

HOLD ON!! U dont wanna do that either lol! Keep the wrist loose, it looks like ur forcing the snap in ur vids (u might b trying or it may b natural.)

Hrandyrko 10-13-2009 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USERNAME (Post 4023881)
HOLD ON!! U dont wanna do that either lol! Keep the wrist loose, it looks like ur forcing the snap in ur vids (u might b trying or it may b natural.)

Oh no. It happens naturally =] Instead of saying "firm wrist" I probably should have said "firmer wrist". My mistake.

USERNAME 10-13-2009 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hrandyrko (Post 4023885)
Oh no. It happens naturally =]

Yeah thats what I thought, its a habit that needs to b broken. Hopefully for u it will b easier then for me. For me it took a solid week of my coach constantly getting on my case about it :)

The_Steak 10-13-2009 06:38 PM

da fu?

OP you fraudin'? You said you were 14 and had a 2 hander. OP played us all. Ryan, you are tricky.

xFullCourtTenniSx 10-13-2009 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hrandyrko (Post 4023812)
Thanks Ronald. I've had some of the adults who I play with at the public court tell me that too. One of em even even told me to do my backhand in slow motion. As I approached the end of the backhand and he saw my wrist flick, he said, "Oh hell no. That's not tennis. That's ballet. Hit the ball the way it was meant to be hit and stop posing."

OUCH!

He's right. Stop trying to pose as Federer. :?

You lack a firm wrist. No matter what, you cannot hit a big one handed backhand if your wrist is weak and whippy.

Also, your stroke is rather small.

Power does not come from shoulder rotation into the shot. Turning your shoulders away from the net will add power to your shot and put your shoulder in the right position to hit the shot. The power comes from your rotator cuff (or whatever muscle is on the backside of the shoulder joint). Your shoulders should not open up through the stroke. If you do, the shot won't be as consistent because you lose the ability to hit through the ball properly and add sidespin instead of topspin.

Your footwork needs work. Ask your coach about that cause there's a LOT of stuff about footwork.

There is no wrist snap into any one handed backhand. There is forearm supination, but that's it. Even then, that's not something that should be taught or advocated. If it comes naturally, then fine. The follow through should be higher over the head.

And overall, your grip seems to be weak. And I think you're using a continental grip too...

MasturB 10-13-2009 08:32 PM

I only wrist snap on low balls, or if I'm trying to put some extra heat on it my wrist naturally snaps.

GuyClinch 10-13-2009 08:53 PM

That's a 3.0 backhand, IMHO. Were you the guy that said you wanted to go pro? You don't seem to be forcefully swinging through the ball - like your kinda lazily continuing your swing once you hit it..

Your footwork needs to be more aggressive where you really STEP with that front foot - transfer your weight and accelerate through the ball. You also need a more aggressive shoulder turn.

Carlito 10-13-2009 09:56 PM

Im not sure because the camera isn't close enough, but I think the issue that is causing the "wristyness" everyone is talking about is your grip. It looks like like a continental grip and not a true backhand grip. My backhand didn't really imporve untill my coach showed me the right grip. Also the footwork isn't that bad except you don't have enough knee bend. Really plant down on the front foot and drive your weight forward.

Hrandyrko 10-14-2009 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Steak (Post 4024033)
da fu?

OP you fraudin'? You said you were 14 and had a 2 hander. OP played us all. Ryan, you are tricky.

Lol, I used a two handed when I first began playing tennis.
Quote:

Originally Posted by xFullCourtTenniSx (Post 4024265)
He's right. Stop trying to pose as Federer. :?

You lack a firm wrist. No matter what, you cannot hit a big one handed backhand if your wrist is weak and whippy.

Also, your stroke is rather small.

Power does not come from shoulder rotation into the shot. Turning your shoulders away from the net will add power to your shot and put your shoulder in the right position to hit the shot. The power comes from your rotator cuff (or whatever muscle is on the backside of the shoulder joint). Your shoulders should not open up through the stroke. If you do, the shot won't be as consistent because you lose the ability to hit through the ball properly and add sidespin instead of topspin.

Your footwork needs work. Ask your coach about that cause there's a LOT of stuff about footwork.

There is no wrist snap into any one handed backhand. There is forearm supination, but that's it. Even then, that's not something that should be taught or advocated. If it comes naturally, then fine. The follow through should be higher over the head.

And overall, your grip seems to be weak. And I think you're using a continental grip too...

Thanks again, FullCourtTennis

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyClinch (Post 4024372)
That's a 3.0 backhand, IMHO. Were you the guy that said you wanted to go pro? You don't seem to be forcefully swinging through the ball - like your kinda lazily continuing your swing once you hit it..

Your footwork needs to be more aggressive where you really STEP with that front foot - transfer your weight and accelerate through the ball. You also need a more aggressive shoulder turn.

I was not forcefully swinging at any of the balls but the first one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlito (Post 4024472)
Im not sure because the camera isn't close enough, but I think the issue that is causing the "wristyness" everyone is talking about is your grip. It looks like like a continental grip and not a true backhand grip. My backhand didn't really imporve untill my coach showed me the right grip. Also the footwork isn't that bad except you don't have enough knee bend. Really plant down on the front foot and drive your weight forward.

I am certain that I am using a correct continental grip.

Ken Honecker 10-14-2009 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hrandyrko (Post 4024984)

I am certain that I am using a correct continental grip.

The thing is as far as I can tell few if any use the continental grip for groundstrokes. It is recommended for serves and volleys but then everyone switches to something else for the rest of their game. Personally I use Eastern forehand and backhand which seems to do everything I'm trying to get done but others like something different. Continental is sort of a wishy washy grip.

Hrandyrko 10-14-2009 05:11 AM

I'm at school at the moment. I'll take a picture of the grip I am using and post it up here. I am 99.9% sure that I am using an eastern backhand grip.

35ft6 10-14-2009 01:36 PM

I would switch to an eastern or extreme eastern backhand grip, try to drive through it more. Looks like you're hitting with a continental grip.