Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Coldest temperature to play outside? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=295413)

damazing 10-28-2009 07:00 PM

Coldest temperature to play outside?

I was wondering what others felt was the absolute lowest temperature that they would play tennis outdoors. In my area late fall temps are sometimes in the 70s but more often in the 40s and 50s. There's a friend of mine that plays all winter long - he wears a heavy coat and gloves and says as long as there is no snow on the court he can play.

I could not play with a heavy coat because it would really hinder my serve motion. And I would be afraid of injuring myself if my muscles were too cold and I pushed them too quickly.

jswinf 10-28-2009 07:10 PM

In Tucson I play mostly in the evening, and in the winter it's usually no problem, 50 or more, but it can get down in the 40s or upper 30s. I think it's possible to play then, but I really don't enjoy it, and I do it for fun, y'know? Likewise I'm not crazy about playing at 5:00 AM or so in the summers to avoid the heat. I can get up ok, not that I'm (terribly) lazy, but my body doesn't like lurching around at the crack of dawn.

maxpotapov 10-28-2009 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damazing (Post 4063093)
And I would be afraid of injuring myself if my muscles were too cold and I pushed them too quickly.

Exactly. I know how that feels.

ubermeyer 10-28-2009 08:27 PM

Playing with a heavy coat + mittens is just silly. If he is that affected by the cold, he shouldn't play.

Bungalo Bill 10-28-2009 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damazing (Post 4063093)
I was wondering what others felt was the absolute lowest temperature that they would play tennis outdoors. In my area late fall temps are sometimes in the 70s but more often in the 40s and 50s. There's a friend of mine that plays all winter long - he wears a heavy coat and gloves and says as long as there is no snow on the court he can play.

I could not play with a heavy coat because it would really hinder my serve motion. And I would be afraid of injuring myself if my muscles were too cold and I pushed them too quickly.

I have played in the rain and the limit for tennis in temperature for me is 50 degrees. Otherwise your hands are just freezing cold and the balls dont bounce.

If you want to play something in the cold, look up platform tennis.

benasp 10-28-2009 10:05 PM

I usually stop playing when the temperature get under 10C. And we usually go for 6 month of -10C down to -30C paying 30$+ an hour to play indoor :evil:

spacediver 10-28-2009 10:12 PM

A thermal layer with a thin windbreaker shell can keep the core body temperature warm. In this video, it was well below 10 celcius - i'm wearing shorts, a merino wool top, a thin windbreaker, and a toque. After about 30 min of play, I took off the jacket and was fine.

http://www.vimeo.com/7275640

I imagine that if it got colder I'd need some sports gloves and something for my lower body.

dozu 10-29-2009 04:47 AM

what a bunch of sissies.

the low limit is about 10F... yes, F as in F@#$ the cold.

wear some thermals and some gloves, you are good to go.... the first 10min maybe hell, then it's all happiness thereafter.

ball bounce does become an issue, make sure you don't let them lay on the court... put them in pants pocket so the body heat keep them bouncy.

sounds crazy? you see plenty of crazy people jogging in 10F, why not tennis.

in PA, this should allow playing thru the winter, as long as no snow..... rain is non-issue either, I have an all-nylon racket just for hitting them things when it's wet... you should see, the ball goes like a flying sprinkler head when it's soaked :) :)

GuyClinch 10-29-2009 04:51 AM

You can play in the cold but few people want too.. That basically the bottom line.

pilner 09-26-2012 05:43 PM

50 as long as its not too windy. I think the NCAA uses 50. Below 50 I lose dexterity in my hands.

Will Wilson 09-26-2012 05:55 PM

Seeing as I live in Minnesota I think I can add to this discussion. The biggest issue is not staying warm - that is no problem for any outdoor aerobic sport no matter what time of year.

The real issue is that once the temps drop below 50 F the balls do not bounce normally - it really changes play. I've been tempted to try pressureless balls in these conditions to see if they bounce more normally, thereby extending the outdoor playing season.

Anybody tried that?

Say Chi Sin Lo 09-26-2012 06:01 PM

50's is nothing as it's the norm year-round for night time temperature in SF. Thermal layer for ~15mins and I'm good to go on shorts and shirt.

However, I have played a few times when the temperature got into the lower 40's. Same story, but the colder it gets, I find it to be more and more tiring. I wonder if it's because the body is spending extra energy to keep metabolism going in colder temperatures.

Limpinhitter 09-26-2012 06:51 PM

80 degrees Fahrenheit.

sureshs 09-26-2012 08:06 PM

I have done 40 degrees F at night

Vlad_C 09-26-2012 08:54 PM

5C (41F)
Don't like it, but the weather kind of sucks around here.

(at the Rogers Cup in Toronto, 2012.)

bhallic24 09-26-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bungalo Bill (Post 4063339)
I have played in the rain and the limit for tennis in temperature for me is 50 degrees. Otherwise your hands are just freezing cold and the balls dont bounce.

If you want to play something in the cold, look up platform tennis.

ha i thought i was the only crazy one. I too have played in light rain. My low temp is freezing. If its under 32F then I pack my bags. But otherwise, I wear some knee warmers or some tights, throw on a warm sweatshirt/warm up shirt and +/- receivers gloves and I'm good to go.

North 09-27-2012 03:31 AM

I've had frostbite (twice) of my fingers - mountain climbing. Anything much below 60 degrees F and my fingers/hands (which always sweat a little) start to get too stiff and cold to handle the racquet - not a lot but enough to make playing difficult. Even a light breeze makes it worse. Once things get in the low 50s I start sticking my hands in my pockets and I wear gloves starting below 50 - before most people feel they need gloves. Below freezing I wear mittens with liner gloves. Even playing indoors in sometimes chilly tennis clubs, I carry chemical heat packs which I constantly use to keep my hands warm.

It's kind of a drag because it somewhat truncates the outdoor season for playing tennis.

USS Tang 09-27-2012 03:34 AM

I've played when it was in the 20s Farenheit. No problem as long as there's no wind. Hands warm up quickly. No need for gloves. Ideal temp. for me is 65 degrees. Start with sweater. Take it off after a few games.

Alchemy-Z 09-27-2012 03:40 AM

I bought a pair of leather racquet ball gloves to wear during our winter/spring season (Starts second week of Jan) first half of the season 9:00am matches we often play in 30F to 40F.

we hardly get snow just cold weather.

but we will rotate the can of balls under the hood of our cars during play so they do not become frozen rocks..

I usually drop my string tension during that season and I will wear under armor long sleeve shirts under a nike dri fit shirt.

and often do all my warmups in a jacket.

and I already double up on socks when I play anyway.

max pl 09-27-2012 04:37 AM

i cant play in cold weather as the ball bounces poorly.

if its cold at night and cloudy the next day, the court wont warm up and feels dead. balls dont bounce as high and overall play is worse as a result.