Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Agassi asks for compassion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=296677)

David L 11-05-2009 05:21 PM

Agassi asks for compassion

There's going to be a '60 minutes' interview with Agassi this Sunday, so be sure to check it out.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20091105...n-9700fcb.html

For my part, I think there are far too many finger wagging judgmental people out there who are probably no better than many of the people they wag their fingers at. Agassi did wrong, but he is clearly a better and more mature person today than he was in his younger years. Is it really realistic to expect anyone to go through life without making mistakes or experiencing moments of poor judgment? Do any of the unforgiving critics have completely flawless histories? It would have been far far more serious if we were talking about performance enhancing drugs, but this was recreational drug use, during a period in Agassi's life when he was trying to cope with his profound unhappiness. This is part of the reality of his history and he chose to reveal it in his autobiography. The guy is a multi-millionaire 10 times over, so this is clearly not about money, as some have suggested.

I think fans of all prominent figures would do well to live in reality and not imagine that the figures they revere so much are perfect, because they are not. Every single one of them is flawed, as we all are. The media provide us with very little accuracy when it comes to profiling individuals, because the limited scope of their resources, access, knowledge and dissemination can only provide us with a very superficial understanding of the individuals they report about. It's all sound-bite and image, with very little substance, knowledge or insight. You cannot really know any individual via the media. It's hard enough knowing people when you are on personal terms. If fans did not believe the fantasy so much, they would not be so disappointed in the reality. Rather than trying to fabricate heroes, I think it's important to be aware that everyone is flawed.

Also, my understanding is that at the time Agassi was found to have crystal meth in his body, the punishment for this recreational drug would have been a 3 month ban, had he been found guilty. This should give people some perspective when casting their judgment. Even the ATP recognized back then that recreational drug use was no way near as serious as performance enhancing drug use, so any kind of censure more than 10 years later should not go overboard, either from the public or officials.

JohnnyCracker 11-05-2009 05:42 PM

No, thanks. I'd rather spend $30 on tennis balls and strings than buying a book about somebody's personal life. Good try, though. :)

bolo 11-05-2009 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyCracker (Post 4082571)
No, thanks. I'd rather spend $30 on tennis balls and strings than buying a book about somebody's personal life. Good try, though. :)

maybe someone on the internets will make us an abridged tennis only version. :)

David L 11-05-2009 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyCracker (Post 4082571)

Who said anything about buying his book? I couldn't care less whether anyone wants to buy his book.

veroniquem 11-05-2009 06:15 PM

Great post David L . I couldn't agree more.

JohnnyCracker 11-05-2009 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David L (Post 4082595)
Who said anything about buying his book? I couldn't care less whether anyone wants to buy his book.

When will he be on '60 minutes', again? And be sure to let everybody know when he's going to be on CNN, Fox News, Oprah, Larry King, Leno, and Letterman (selling his book), would ya? :wink:

David L 11-05-2009 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyCracker (Post 4082639)
When will he be on '60 minutes', again? And be sure to let everybody know when he's going to be on CNN, Fox News, Oprah, Larry King, Leno, and Letterman (selling his book), would ya? :wink:

Sunday.:wink:

federer_FREAK 11-05-2009 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyCracker (Post 4082639)

I'm pretty sure plenty of us will be watching him on 60 minutes, but won't be buying his book.

kishnabe 11-05-2009 07:20 PM

Agassi doesn't need compassion!! He has money!! sorry:twisted:

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis 11-05-2009 07:35 PM

You know I've expressed my opinion about the subject, which was basically, people do things, some don't, others do, this is hindsight and admission from someone about the past so way all the ripping of tunics over it...yet I do agree completely, I don't need or desire to read a book detailing someone's private life. On another thread, and I believe it was the Tennis Magazine stuff, a response from someone said they enjoyed sport, and various aspects of it, but when it delved into private lives, whether someone offered it or it was taken, they didn't have such interest into that unless it was historically significant criminality others needed to take a role in. I find that an interesting comment. I read along on TW and a few different forum sites, well more than a few, and news sites, besides hard copy ones, but the insistence on so many to want to delve into private moments and such things just seems odd to me. It seems strange, but then that is 99% of what is offered news wise these days.

To me, Agassi is falling back on his American roots by asking for compassion. Many other sports figures have made mistakes, serious ones, and have admitted it and pledged to go on and do better after those points. I don't think Agassi needs to explain anything further to the general public or avid haters or others. To me, now asking for compassion is the unbelievable and unacceptable part, he only said what he did in the past and apologized for it, why should he be flamed for it or ask forgiveness of those hypocritical entities who demand or suggest such action. In many ways I feel, after living and working in a number of countries, some are much more accusatory and judgemental than others, and unwilling to ever admit their "idols" might be human. If an "idol" admits to any wrongdoing, they should be condemned with the harshest penalty just because they were "famous" and made a mistake too. And then such ones wonder why these young persons forced a heavy burden take to something, whether its drugs or alcohol, gaming or sex, to numb their feelings. Its a stupid cycle they are forcing with their micro-attention on everything and overly religious and judgemental statements. Its just sad all around.

I don't read or buy biographies or autobiographies in general although I love to read history. So that's the only reason I wouldn't buy his book. I have no desire to read his story anymore than anyone else's which is not directly impactive to my own life. And that's just reality. It seems so many people are reading this book and acting as if what he did is killing them, shattered their past memories or will doom their future. Wow, I mean....show some objectivity.

1970CRBase 11-05-2009 07:50 PM

Is it possible the reason why Agassi would do this (reveal his past drug use) isn't to brag or boast about drugs or to flog a few more copies of his book, but rather is to say, in an unspoken fashion : "don't do the same thing, don't make the same mistake I did"? All those self righteous fools who are busily casting stones badly need to stop for a moment, honestly question their real motives, and look into the dark & hidden corners of their own past to see if there aren't plenty of demons lurking there too. :evil:

People who cast stones : sooner or later, those stones are going to come flying straight back to whack 'em in the ***.

JohnnyCracker 11-05-2009 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David L (Post 4082702)
Sunday.:wink:

Good job. How much is Agassi paying you? :wink:

Leelord337 11-05-2009 09:38 PM

i just saw the new people magazine w/andre and stef on the cover, and the words "crystal meth use" under their pic....its just terrible what the media is doing

its good to see that andre admitted his faults...shows his true character which is composed of honesty, self belief, and even compassion for others. Who knows how many lives he has helped with the addition of the charter school he founded.

i mean nobody cares that jack nicholson or any other celebrity that is doing cocaine..(there are pics of him w/cocaine on his nose)

prattle128 11-05-2009 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David L (Post 4082530)
There's going to be a '60 minutes' interview with Agassi this Sunday, so be sure to check it out.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20091105...n-9700fcb.html

For my part, I think there are far too many finger wagging judgmental people out there who are probably no better than many of the people they wag their fingers at. Agassi did wrong, but he is clearly a better and more mature person today than he was in his younger years. Is it really realistic to expect anyone to go through life without making mistakes or experiencing moments of poor judgment? Do any of the unforgiving critics have completely flawless histories? It would have been far far more serious if we were talking about performance enhancing drugs, but this was recreational drug use, during a period in Agassi's life when he was trying to cope with his profound unhappiness. This is part of the reality of his history and he chose to reveal it in his autobiography. The guy is a multi-millionaire 10 times over, so this is clearly not about money, as some have suggested.

I think fans of all prominent figures would do well to live in reality and not imagine that the figures they revere so much are perfect, because they are not. Every single one of them is flawed, as we all are. The media provide us with very little accuracy when it comes to profiling individuals, because the limited scope of their resources, access, knowledge and dissemination can only provide us with a very superficial understanding of the individuals they report about. It's all sound-bite and image, with very little substance, knowledge or insight. You cannot really know any individual via the media. It's hard enough knowing people when you are on personal terms. If fans did not believe the fantasy so much, they would not be so disappointed in the reality. Rather than trying to fabricate heroes, I think it's important to be aware that everyone is flawed.

Also, my understanding is that at the time Agassi was found to have crystal meth in his body, the punishment for this recreational drug would have been a 3 month ban, had he been found guilty. This should give people some perspective when casting their judgment. Even the ATP recognized back then that recreational drug use was no way near as serious as performance enhancing drug use, so any kind of censure more than 10 years later should not go overboard, either from the public or officials.

Great post. The kind of comments some people are spewing about him are just ********. He clearly did a bad thing, and he is smart and mature enough to realize that he did something bad. He regrets using crystal meth, and that should be enough for people since it's not like he was exactly using it to propel himself to the #1 ranking, and countless titles.

Martina Navratilova is just being a ***** quite frankly, condemning him and everything. It's a mistake, and it's bad that he did it for his own sake, tennis' sake, etc. But it's over, it's done with, and people should judge him for the person he is today, not the person that he was. Stop looking to the past, and give him the respect that he deserves.

ArchEtech 11-05-2009 10:14 PM

I'm not going to buy the book because I don't really care.

He was a great tennis player that didn't do have the @#$% most stupid kids do these days.... he was talented and never really got into that much trouble.

When was the last time a tennis player shot himself in the foot with an unregistered gun?

All pro Atheletes use drugs of some kind. You can't convince me otherwise. If I was making millions taking my body to the max I probably would too as would 99% of the population.

ArchEtech 11-05-2009 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prattle128 (Post 4082977)
Great post. The kind of comments some people are spewing about him are just ********. He clearly did a bad thing, and he is smart and mature enough to realize that he did something bad. He regrets using crystal meth, and that should be enough for people since it's not like he was exactly using it to propel himself to the #1 ranking, and countless titles.

Martina Navratilova is just being a ***** quite frankly, condemning him and everything. It's a mistake, and it's bad that he did it for his own sake, tennis' sake, etc. But it's over, it's done with, and people should judge him for the person he is today, not the person that he was. Stop looking to the past, and give him the respect that he deserves.

Martina Navratilova probably took more test boost than I have produced naturally...

Gen 11-05-2009 10:44 PM

He didn't have to blabber about it all over the world. His "revelations" damaged the reputation of the sport which brought him fame and fortune. He ruined his own image in his fans' eyes. Whatever for did he tell this dirty story? For publicity (regardless whether it is good or bad)? To promote his book? Don't see any other reasons.

GustafsonFanatic 11-05-2009 10:45 PM

Agassi was 27 when he did drugs. Many people are married and have kids at that age.

Of course we can be judgemental.

Gorecki 11-06-2009 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gen (Post 4083025)
He didn't have to blabber about it all over the world. His "revelations" damaged the reputation of the sport which brought him fame and fortune. He ruined his own image in his fans' eyes. Whatever for did he tell this dirty story? For publicity (regardless whether it is good or bad)? To promote his book? Don't see any other reasons.

to use your own words!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gen (Post 4083100)
Judging by the number of posts, this ugly creature with an ugly nick and ugly avatar who calls Nadal Genius doesn't have a life of his own. His only target and occupation is polluting internet with ugliness, stupidity and abuse.

Gen 11-06-2009 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gorecki (Post 4083107)
to use your own words!

You don't even have the words of your own. Too bad. But you can always go to school and learn something. Even the school for mentally ******** persons will do.