Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Crack in skin on thumb. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=296696)

Maverick16 11-05-2009 07:51 PM

Crack in skin on thumb.

Every time I play tennis I develop a deep, painful crack in my thumb.
I've tried using hand cream and using duct tape, but unfortunately the tape comes off when I start to sweat.
It looks like a cut, but it is not a cut, just a deep crack.
Has anyone else experienced this and do you have any suggestions?

OHBH 11-05-2009 07:57 PM

This happens to me all of the time. Especially once its starts to get cool and dry outside. I always just use a band aid with neosporin. I keep it on while I sleep to let it heal and replace the band aid a couple times a day. There is nothing that will stay on all day long

advantagetennis1 11-05-2009 08:06 PM

superglue it or use liquid bandage

charliefedererer 11-05-2009 08:16 PM

Try some Vasoline just on the cut area itself. Start wrapping medical tape around the thumb well below the crack to anchor it, and then continue it up over the area with the crack to protect it.

Maverick16 11-05-2009 09:52 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
I've started using the polysporin and band aide.
I will try the liquid bandage as well.
It's hard to use tape because it's on the part of the thumb that bends.
cheers

AlpineCadet 11-06-2009 12:13 AM

For some odd reason, I never have sweaty hands while playing tennis, but I have sweaty palms when I get nervous outside of tennis. My skin on my thumb has been "cracking" since 2 years ago, and my best way to fight it off is to prevent the skin from drying in the first place. If it's already cracked, use slim strips of tape to wrap around your thumb so the cracks won't worsen.

Bud 11-06-2009 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick16 (Post 4082959)
Thanks for the suggestions guys.
I've started using the polysporin and band aide.
I will try the liquid bandage as well.
It's hard to use tape because it's on the part of the thumb that bends.
cheers

Use paper tape and wrap well below and above the crack after dressing it. It's very flexible and will not come off easily when sweating.

joe sch 11-06-2009 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by advantagetennis1 (Post 4082813)
superglue it or use liquid bandage

I would recommend liquid bandage, works good for me with this issue.

Why its better than super glue:

First aid antiseptic pain reliever.
Antiseptic to help prevent infection.
Antiseptic pain relief.
Invisible.
Flexible.
Waterproof.

sphinx780 11-06-2009 08:17 AM

I just taped mine up and now the callous is built up enough that I don't end up getting the crack any longer...although I'm sure that everyone's hands react differently to the situation.

mark999 11-06-2009 10:32 AM

i have the same thing when it gets cold. get some 40-50% urea creme. if you have a prescription plan get a prescription from your doctor -name brand is carmol 40, but i just get the generic brand. rub creme as often as you like, but definitely overnite. it will soften the cracks and heal them. also try "gloves in the bottle" prevents hands from drying out when it's cold out.

LuckyR 11-06-2009 04:54 PM

Uummm... thanks for the visual. None of that advice worked for me. My problem was a crack in the callus that went down to the "regular" skin level. I had the best luck removing the callus (sanding or clipping) so the depth of the crack is zero, ie the bottom of the crack is flush with the regular skin level because the callus isn't there anymore. Then it healed quickly like a regular shallow cut (instead of taking forever trying to heal callus to callus across the crack).

Good luck.

jazzyfunkybluesy 11-06-2009 06:04 PM

To prevent this from happening in the future I changed my grip on the backhand side to putting my thumb behind the racquet. I know its unorthodox but I havent had 1 split thumb since. I also have improved stability, control and power on my 1hbh.

iplaytennislolol 11-08-2009 12:09 PM

This happens to me a lot, and I have eczema, which tends to worsen the condition. Even when you're not playing tennis, just overnight you could also try applying Vaseline on the crack and wearing a cotton glove (not sure where you actually would get the cotton gloves but I think mine came with my case of Vaseline) to help it heal.

miki 11-08-2009 08:25 PM

BAG BALM - magic

apor 11-10-2009 03:44 PM

I had the same problem.
Use lotion before you play, after you play, during the day etc. That way you keep your callous supple, and instead of ripping, it'll stretch.
You might want to get a tacky grip if you use any lotion before a match- but if you didn't use lotion, and your hands are dry, that same tacky grip will rip your thumb like never before.

lwto 11-10-2009 07:48 PM

LOL, nice pic.. yuck!

But the person that suggested super glue was right on..

It was first used during the Vietnam war to stop bleeding and is still used.
Rock climbers use it for quick first aide when climbing.

I get thumb splits constantly and use it. works perfect.

What you do is apply just a drop, then you can sand it down so there is no bump and it is pretty seamless with the added benifit that it wont slip off like a wrapping would.

Vyse 11-10-2009 07:49 PM

let it heal. once you start playing, the pain should subside

EKnee08 11-12-2009 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iplaytennislolol (Post 4089420)
This happens to me a lot, and I have eczema, which tends to worsen the condition. Even when you're not playing tennis, just overnight you could also try applying Vaseline on the crack and wearing a cotton glove (not sure where you actually would get the cotton gloves but I think mine came with my case of Vaseline) to help it heal.

Great advice! Cotton gloves with cream or vaseline will help. The cotton gloves are sold at any drugstore or mom and pop pharmacy. As the weather gets colder and dryer, this problem can worsen. So, ot only for the cracking but for sinus and respiratory health, during the winter you should use a cool mist humidifer.

I had this same problem for 20 years and not just on my thumb because I also swimmed on a daily basis and the chlorine magnified the problem. The key with the cracking and/or eczema is to keep the area dry. I stopped swimming and the condition went away with the following additional steps!
My internist who had the same problem advised me to wear surgical latex gloves without powder when showering held with rubber bands on my wrist so as to not get any water on my hands. In addition, I was advised to and used used Cetaphil Daily Cleanser as my hand soap rather than regular soap. Cetaphil can be used with or without water to clean/ wash your hands. When the cracking is bad, you can use the cetaphil without water. Apply the cetaphil to your hands and rub them together. Remove the excess with a paper towel. Instructions are on the bottle. Cetaphil also acts as a softener/moisturizer.

After a very short time, the cracking disappeared. It has never really returned.

I now use cetaphil as my regular hand soap with water. At the first sign of cracking, I use the cetaphil without soap. However, I have never had the problem again.

Toad 11-12-2009 08:56 AM

I used to get this all the time on both thumbs and my dominant hands index finger. Now I just always tape those areas before I play and I haven't had any more problems. I use this stuff (can be found pretty much anywhere...get mine at Wal-Mart...I think I've seen the stuff Bud suggested there as well):

http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Coach-...8048455&sr=1-7

I just tear it in half and put it where my fingers crack. This stuff is pretty flexible and stays on even if you start sweating.

Maverick16 12-08-2009 02:13 PM

I found something that finally worked for me.
It's called "Curel Ultra Healing" and no more cracks.
It is a little more greasy than other creams I tried and thus takes a little longer to absorb, nothing like Vaseline which I find never really absorbs.
Lasts a long time too.
I highly recommend it.