Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Agassi book - by someone who's read it (shocker..) (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=296912)

Texastennis 11-07-2009 11:22 AM

Agassi book - by someone who's read it (shocker..)

Here's the first long piece I've seen by someone who's actually read Agassi's book - and note how misleading the extract snippets have been. For instance, what he actually says apparently is that he wanted to be more like Pete - very appreciative.

http://www.insidetennis.com/2009/11/...-andre-agassi/

mandy01 11-07-2009 11:37 AM

“I get an undeniable satisfaction from harming myself…After decades of merely dabbling in masochism, I’m making it my mission.” Wow....this quote is just..I dont really know what to say.
Sad.....
Also a pity he could never og to school..Must be hell living in that family.

CCNM 11-07-2009 02:49 PM

Waaaah! Waaaah! Waah!!!! Andre-go back to Vegas, continue to be a good husband, father, and philantropist. And try to fade into the crowd with all the rest of us! GRRRR

pound cat 11-07-2009 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCNM (Post 4087225)
Waaaah! Waaaah! Waah!!!! Andre-go back to Vegas, continue to be a good husband, father, and philantropist. And try to fade into the crowd with all the rest of us! GRRRR

And that sums it up very nicely,

PS You don't have to bother with the reason for editing.

Outbeyond 11-07-2009 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texastennis (Post 4086696)
Here's the first long piece I've seen by someone who's actually read Agassi's book - and note how misleading the extract snippets have been. For instance, what he actually says apparently is that he wanted to be more like Pete - very appreciative.

http://www.insidetennis.com/2009/11/...-andre-agassi/

You got that from this article? I missed it, I guess. But I found this particular snippet to be pretty funny:

"When he was inducted into the Hall of Fame, Pete Sampras offered a provocative, minimalist self-assessment saying, 'Iím just a tennis player. Nothing more, nothing less.' Agassi said he envied 'Peteís dullness. I wish I could emulate his spectacular lack of inspiration.'"

That's not saying Agassi had no respect for Pete...just that he had no way of understanding Sampras' expressions.

In any case, thanks much for the link, as it was genuinely interesting!

Texastennis 11-07-2009 04:34 PM

I didn't mean Agassi understood Sampras:-)
I just meant that many of the pre-publication "teasers" seem to have been very misleading, like this one ie he doesn't trash Pete.

Peter Bodo wrote an very good piece on the tennis.com website about the difference in their two autobiographies (he worked wih Sampras on his) teling a lot about what different people they are.

chalkflewup 11-08-2009 04:13 AM

I suspect Andre will be extremely charming on 60 minutes and work his magic to win back the hearts of the latest ambush.

Fee 11-08-2009 10:07 AM

The main difference between Pete and Andre may have been that Andre was desperate for attention while Pete was somewhat desperate for respect. Pete was happy to be out of the spotlight off court, he let his racquet do the talking. Considering what was going on at home, I can kind of understand why Andre sought out positive reinforcement in his public life.

zapvor 11-08-2009 07:34 PM

yea they are two very different people. i cant wait to read the book

eric draven 11-09-2009 10:28 AM

I'm listening to the audio version right now and I can't wait to hear the rest of it. I've also read Sampras' autbiography and just like on the court they couldn't be more different. Pete's book concentrated on the overall experience and his aim at becoming the best player in the world. He spoke of his supportive family and the people he surrounded himself with at different times in his career all with the singular goal of becoming the best in the world.

I'm not even into the third chapter of Andre's book and it describes things in minute almost excrutiating detail. He talks at length about experiences and about how "alone" he feels at all times because of tennis. Pete talks about emotions in storybook fashion with the perspective of having lived through the experience. Andre describes circumstances in the present tense as if they are being relived all over again.

Where Pete's book is factual, straightforward and uncomplicated. Andre's is emotionally charged, detail-oriented and incredibly complex. I'm really interested to finish it and regardless of its revelations I think it will be a good read for completely different reasons than Pete's book.

jazzyfunkybluesy 11-09-2009 11:02 AM

Andre was welling up for a good cry on 60 minutes when that old goat Katie Courec told him of Martinas comment. WAAAAAAAHHHHHH.

AndrewD 11-09-2009 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outbeyond (Post 4087360)
That's not saying Agassi had no respect for Pete...just that he had no way of understanding Sampras' expressions.

In exactly the same way as Serena can't understand Kim Cjlisters quitting the game to have a baby - and put its interests ahead of her own-, Chris Evert couldn't under Martina Navratilova being honest about who she really was or BJK couldn't understand Margaret Court's unwillingness to deify herself. Those people just aren't conditioned to understand how someone can place normalcy (at least, as normal as someone famous can be) above public adoration, attention and/or notoriety.

Inner Game 11-19-2009 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCNM (Post 4087225)

Andre, you have embarrassed the whole tennis community.....get everything off your back brother! give back all the money you made in 1999, the 5 titles....repent!........

But my guess is you won't.........

Looks like he's just trying to sell books....So Sad.......

chalkflewup 11-20-2009 02:42 AM

If Andre truly hated the game of tennis, why did he climb the mountain again after the bottom fell out? Was it for the attention? Was it for the money? Did his Dad force a 30 something year old man to play? What about all the speeches and interviews about the fans?

If you hated your job and you were financially secure would you subject yourself to the torture? Something ain't right.

danix 11-20-2009 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chalkflewup (Post 4123636)
If Andre truly hated the game of tennis, why did he climb the mountain again after the bottom fell out? Was it for the attention? Was it for the money? Did his Dad force a 30 something year old man to play? What about all the speeches and interviews about the fans?

If you hated your job and you were financially secure would you subject yourself to the torture? Something ain't right.

Read the book and you'll understand.

jonahnaturals 11-21-2009 03:42 AM

What the book is really about

Hey everyone, just my two cents: This book is an amazing read, and is primarily about relationships. If you want to get to know Agassi and have an inside look at the most important relationships that he formed over the years with fellow players, coaches, Gil (his trainer/surrogate father), and his love interests, this book is well worth a read.

I loved this from beginning to end. I wished it were twice as long - just didn't want to get to the last page, it was that delicious. Made me well up with tears on numerous occasions. Inspiring in every way.

This one will definitely stay in my library and be read many times over.

By the way, did anyone else get how much he seems to loathe Chang? And in the end, you discover how he really feels about Pete.

Beautifully written.

Ben

gzhpcu 11-21-2009 04:19 AM

I read it, and ended up liking Agassi...

BTURNER 11-21-2009 08:54 AM

If one more person calls Pete one dimensional I'll go postal. Both have the same number of dimensions to their character. One simply shows the full variety to larger groups of people and under broader sets of circumstance. . Pete is not dull. He is reserved to those few he trusts . Andre is not exciting. he is flamboyant. Niether is deeper than the other.

MrCLEAN 11-21-2009 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chalkflewup (Post 4123636)

Basically, when he hit rock bottom in '97, Brad told him to quit or start over...from scratch. From what I gathered, Andre wanted, more than anything, to get his foundation and school running, and he used tennis as a means to achieve that. He mentions alot that he didn't choose a life as a tennis player, but in the end, he used tennis to achieve the life he did choose, getting his foundation/school up and running and helping out the kiddos who he felt like were also in a life they didn't choose and weren't in a position to do anything about it.

slice bh compliment 11-21-2009 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outbeyond (Post 4087360)
....Agassi said he envied 'Peteís dullness. I wish I could emulate his spectacular lack of inspiration.'..

"I wish I was like you
easily amused..."

Andre is being unecessarily pithy as he paraphraes a Cobain line from All Apologies.

He does that a lot (the pithy bit).