Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Can Federer beat Sampras record for weeks at number 1? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=298493)

timnz 11-18-2009 03:37 PM

Can Federer beat Sampras record for weeks at number 1?

Currently (as at November 16th), Federer is 4th in the list for the most weeks at number 1 (behind Sampras, Lendl & Connors).

What do people think? Do you think he has enough gas in the tank to get past Pete's Record of 286 weeks?

Refer to (which has the detail):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ranked_players

dh003i 11-18-2009 03:58 PM

I think he can.

OliverSimon 11-18-2009 03:59 PM

He's going to beat all of Pete's records

RCizzle65 11-18-2009 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OliverSimon (Post 4120179)

I know it's probably not a serious comment, but I doubt he can beat six consecutive number one years in a row after Nadal stopped it last year...
Also, Federer would have to keep his ranking until around Wimbledon to pass Pete's record, not out of the question, but it'll be tough defending some of those points.

Michael Bluth 11-18-2009 05:13 PM

Maybe, but Nadal has way more points to defend before the French.

dh003i 11-18-2009 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCizzle65 (Post 4120193)
I know it's probably not a serious comment, but I doubt he can beat six consecutive number one years in a row after Nadal stopped it last year...
Also, Federer would have to keep his ranking until around Wimbledon to pass Pete's record, not out of the question, but it'll be tough defending some of those points.

True, he'll never break 6 years ending number one. But he has ended number one 6 years in a row at a different point in the year, or at least I think someone else has said such.

Cup8489 11-18-2009 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dh003i (Post 4120356)
True, he'll never break 6 years ending number one. But he has ended number one 6 years in a row at a different point in the year, or at least I think someone else has said such.

well yeah, if the week after wimbledon was that point, he's been the number 1 for the last 6 years. but that's not "YEAR END" persay, just a time in the year he's been no. 1.

never say never about 6 consecutive no1 finishes, you don't know for sure. though it's obviously very highly unlikely.

tudwell 11-18-2009 05:59 PM

If Federer holds the number one spot through the end of February (very likely), he'll be number two on the list. Then he has to hold it till a week or two after the French Open and he's broken the record. That, of course, will be much tougher.

Chadwixx 11-18-2009 06:05 PM

6 years finishing at number 1 doesnt mean much. Consecutive weeks is important but look at serena. This is her 2nd time finishing #1 and she is considered a goat.

Sampras also played the thailand open to keep the streak, when he was playing with the top10 he finished #2.

dh003i 11-18-2009 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cup8489 (Post 4120385)
well yeah, if the week after wimbledon was that point, he's been the number 1 for the last 6 years. but that's not "YEAR END" persay, just a time in the year he's been no. 1.

never say never about 6 consecutive no1 finishes, you don't know for sure. though it's obviously very highly unlikely.

Yes, he was #1 for 6 years straight the week after Wimbledon. The point is, there is no off-season in tennis, so year-end-number one is a meaningless or merely symbolic distinction vs. number 1 at any other point of the year.

kishnabe 11-18-2009 06:50 PM

Well yes but I think in short pieces. Like Nadal,Federer and Djokovich might switch from 1-3 over the next two years. I don't think there is going to be a dominant number one. I hope that is the case, since it would be more interesting year if Federer fight to be number one. Also yes Federer will pass Smapras weeks at number 1 by staying where he is or in short bursts.

CHOcobo 11-18-2009 07:04 PM

i'd say if he wins the up coming tournament in London, he has a very good chance, because his performance seems to be declining.

darthpwner 11-18-2009 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OliverSimon (Post 4120179)

impossible. he can't beat pete's youngest ever us open champion record.

roysid 11-18-2009 07:27 PM

He should do it. A good first half of 2010 is all he needs.

MuseFan 11-18-2009 07:51 PM

Federer will have all of Sampras' records except the consecutive YE #1. Let Pete have his bone.

joeri888 11-18-2009 10:21 PM

He could do it, but he'll probably need to do it consecutively. That means he should make the final of TMC. After that, it shouldn't really be a problem until Madrid.

kOaMaster 11-19-2009 12:36 AM

hard to say. because federer mainly got his points from 6 events. the four grand slams, madrid an cincinnati.
to hold the n1-spot he would have to replace the ~4500 points until after the french open.
(he won ~5'400 in this years period until the french open)

I don't think we can settle it before the french open is over. also hard to say who the toughest n2 is. nadal? (the most points to defend) djokovic? (was pretty good last year but screwed up the GS, can he do better?

murray...nah, don't think so. del potro too early.

joeri888 11-19-2009 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kOaMaster (Post 4120903)
hard to say. because federer mainly got his points from 6 events. the four grand slams, madrid an cincinnati.
to hold the n1-spot he would have to replace the ~4500 points until after the french open.
(he won ~5'400 in this years period until the french open)

I don't think we can settle it before the french open is over. also hard to say who the toughest n2 is. nadal? (the most points to defend) djokovic? (was pretty good last year but screwed up the GS, can he do better?

murray...nah, don't think so. del potro too early.

Federer needs to hold on till Wimbledon. I think therefore his biggest threat is probably Djokovic, because he got most of his points AFTER Wimbledon. Also maybe Del Potro, but I see Djokovic getting more points at TMC.

Either way, Federer has not much to defend other than the Australian Open until Madrid. That should be doable. He usually does well in Slams, so If he doesn't lose his ranking here at the Masters Cup, I don't see him losing it before Madrid. Could anyone tell me at how many weeks that would put him?

TheMagicianOfPrecision 11-19-2009 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeri888 (Post 4120947)
Federer needs to hold on till Wimbledon. I think therefore his biggest threat is probably Djokovic, because he got most of his points AFTER Wimbledon. Also maybe Del Potro, but I see Djokovic getting more points at TMC.

Either way, Federer has not much to defend other than the Australian Open until Madrid. That should be doable. He usually does well in Slams, so If he doesn't lose his ranking here at the Masters Cup, I don't see him losing it before Madrid. Could anyone tell me at how many weeks that would put him?

According my calculations the week before Madrid would put him at 284 weeks :shock:

mandy01 11-19-2009 03:21 AM

It looks highly unlikely especially since Nadal is already close to Roger and will have a big advantage at RG and Wimbledon.And of course there are other guys too.
Who knows...
Anyhow I like the conseutive weeks record better :wink: