Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   what do you prefer? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=298886)

samprasvsfederer123 11-21-2009 06:20 AM

what do you prefer?
 
power tennis for example becker vs sampras master cup 96 or modern speed tennis, like lets say nadal federer australian open

hoodjem 11-21-2009 06:31 AM

Don't forget "precision tennis": Laver versus Roche at the 1969 AO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHaN2h21ANs

tennisboygr 11-21-2009 12:45 PM

I prefer matches when there is a contrast in styles (i.e. Sampras/Agassi). When it's the same type of players playing, it sometimes get boring.

mtr1 11-21-2009 01:08 PM

Serve and Volley versus All Court. Henman vs Federer= Great match.

pc1 11-21-2009 01:37 PM

I just want interesting rallies and games. It's hard to say what match is going to be interesting. For example I generally hate Roddick against Federer matches because usually Roddick can't hurt Federer. It's usually the same old thing, Federer blocks the Roddick serve back and outrallies him from the baseline. Yet Roddick almost defeated Federer at Wimbledon this year in a pretty decent match.

Miloslav Mecir was always interesting to me if he played a baseliner like Connors or a serve and volleyer like McEnroe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlb5Py25DPM

Laver and Rosewall were all court players who could run like lightning so their rallies and angles were pretty stunning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8IJ0F01IiU

Of course Sampras and Agassi which is an all courter/Serve and volleyer in Sampras versus a great baseliner and super returner in Agassi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEa_BuMTnt8

And the recent great match up in Nadal-Federer. Both great baseliners who can run like the wind. Nadal with the much heavier topspin and better overall consistency and Federer with the greater offensive forehand (note I write greater offensive forehand. I don't know if Federer has a better overall forehand.) and great serve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zck9QLZjZCQ

I liked this Becker-Sampras match. Fabulous match with two serve and volleyers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyzZb1BpW8A

And of course Borg-Connors, two baseliners who could do anything and were different types of baseliner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTMx-...om=PL&index=20

hoodjem 11-22-2009 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pc1 (Post 4127470)
I just want interesting rallies and games. It's hard to say what match is going to be interesting. For example I generally hate Roddick against Federer matches because usually Roddick can't hurt Federer. It's usually the same old thing, Federer blocks the Roddick serve back and outrallies him from the baseline. Yet Roddick almost defeated Federer at Wimbledon this year in a pretty decent match.

Miloslav Mecir was always interesting to me if he played a baseliner like Connors or a serve and volleyer like McEnroe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlb5Py25DPM

I loved watching Mecir play anyone. He had an incredible way of moving around the court: he just glides gracefully from place to place with so little energy expenditure. It even makes Fed look clumsy.

President of Serve/Volley 11-23-2009 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddemetrius456 (Post 4135954)
loved to see Becker Vs Sampras. They always rocked. Lately Nadal Vs Fedex doe not excite. Fedex Vs Hennman is great to watch. Nadal Vs Djokovic is exciting.
_______________________
Dining Room Furniture

Becker-Sampras truly defined ATTACKING tennis at its best.
We never see attacking games anymore, a la serve and volley because it's too much baseline rallies, oy I do miss the good old days of attacking tennis...

Edberg-Becker was fun.

pc1 11-24-2009 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoodjem (Post 4128982)
I loved watching Mecir play anyone. He had an incredible way of moving around the court: he just glides gracefully from place to place with so little energy expenditure. It even makes Fed look clumsy.

True. He was so smooth and could hit any shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlb5Py25DPM

LeeD 11-27-2009 05:08 PM

they don't call him the BIG CAT for nothing....

morten 11-28-2009 04:22 AM

[quote=pc1;4127470]IMiloslav Mecir was always interesting to me if he played a baseliner like Connors or a serve and volleyer like McEnroe.


Boy i miss this kind of tennis...

Datacipher 11-28-2009 06:34 AM

For indoor tennis, I prefer Sampras and Becker, two true all-courters with big power, only because it is the optimal way to play the indoor/grass game. Big boy tennis.

Otherwise....well I still prefer Becker/Sampras because of the variety. Nadal/Federer is a great baseline rivalry....but it was nice to have all-courters and SV'ers int the mix.

pc1 11-28-2009 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Datacipher (Post 4153837)
For indoor tennis, I prefer Sampras and Becker, two true all-courters with big power, only because it is the optimal way to play the indoor/grass game. Big boy tennis.

Otherwise....well I still prefer Becker/Sampras because of the variety. Nadal/Federer is a great baseline rivalry....but it was nice to have all-courters and SV'ers int the mix.

Becker and Sampras is a great choice. There was something about Becker when he was confident. He had an aura about him that seemed to be saying that no matter what his opponent did, Becker could come up with something better. And Sampras of course was Sampras, very sure of himself and believed that he would come out on top in the end.

My favorite match between the two was in Germany in 1996 in the ATP finals. It was a five setter which Sampras won 3-6 7-6 7-6 6-7 6-4. Becker said he couldn't play any better and still lost. A great match.

It would be nice if we had players like Becker and Sampras today, just for the variety of styles.

Mustard 11-28-2009 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoodjem (Post 4128982)
I loved watching Mecir play anyone. He had an incredible way of moving around the court: he just glides gracefully from place to place with so little energy expenditure. It even makes Fed look clumsy.

Mecir tore Lendl to pieces in the 1987 Miami final, and it's a fantastic match to watch. It was hilarious seeing Lendl get so annoyed by Mecir, some line calls, and the speaker troubles in the stands. Even when Lendl led 3-0 in the third, you got the feeling Mecir was well in control. 7-5, 6-2, 7-5 was the final score. In all their other matches, Lendl owned Mecir, but it was the other way round in that match.

My favourite kind of tennis is clay-court tennis, specifically the long grinding kind of matches. Thomas Muster is my favourite, and I'm also a big fan of Rafael Nadal and Guillermo Vilas. I do admire serve and volley tennis too, but there's not much of it about these days, the likes of Goran Ivanisevic, Patrick Rafter and the likes seem history.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse