Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Experimenting with tennis balls again - what's your favorite and WHY ? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=300981)

ClubHoUno 12-05-2009 07:47 AM

Experimenting with tennis balls again - what's your favorite and WHY ?

I'm experimenting and looking for better and more durable tennis balls.

Just bought 4 cans of the new Slazenger Extra Life ball (It's basically a new, slightly heavier and improved Wimbledon UltraVis ball with better durability), 4 cans of the improved Babolat VS N2 ball and also 4 cans of the Tecnifibre X-One Special Editon DTF version in a can with a new design (FYI !! the X-One Red, that TW EUROPE sells is 2. grade quality and not on par with the X-One Special Edition DTF ball)

So have any of you guys tested any of these balls and if so, what do you think ?

Tried Wilson US OPEN, Wilson Australien Open and Wilson Tour Davies Cup - but simply do not like Wilson balls. Same with the Head Atp Tour ball - not a great ball in my view.
Have tried all the different Penn balls, and they all suck compared to the 3 in question - SLAZENGER EXTRA LIFE, Babolat VS N2 & Tecnifibre X-One Special Editon DTF.

I find the new Slazenger EXTRA LIFE to be a bit more heavy, but still with nice pop and very easy to see and the felt stays on for a long time.

The Babolat VS N2 is a lighter ball, but also with improved durability and very nice to play with on slower surfaces in particular.

The Tecnifibre X-One Special Editon DTF is a true class ball, but I think the 2 other balls in question here could take over as my new favorite tennis ball :p

Dunlop Roland Garross and the old Slazenger Wimbledon Ultravis is no longer my favorites.

Which one is your favorite and WHY ?

julian 12-05-2009 09:54 AM

Dunlop Roland Garros

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClubHoUno (Post 4174155)
I'm experimenting and looking for better and more durable tennis balls.

Just bought 4 cans of the new Slazenger Extra Life ball (It's basically a new, slightly heavier and improved Wimbledon UltraVis ball with better durability), 4 cans of the improved Babolat VS N2 ball and also 4 cans of the Tecnifibre X-One Special Editon DTF version in a can with a new design (FYI !! the X-One Red, that TW EUROPE sells is 2. grade quality and not on par with the X-One Special Edition DTF ball)

So have any of you guys tested any of these balls and if so, what do you think ?

Tried Wilson US OPEN, Wilson Australien Open and Wilson Tour Davies Cup - but simply do not like Wilson balls. Same with the Head Atp Tour ball - not a great ball in my view.
Have tried all the different Penn balls, and they all suck compared to the 3 in question - SLAZENGER EXTRA LIFE, Babolat VS N2 & Tecnifibre X-One Special Editon DTF.

I find the new Slazenger EXTRA LIFE to be a bit more heavy, but still with nice pop and very easy to see and the felt stays on for a long time.

The Babolat VS N2 is a lighter ball, but also with improved durability and very nice to play with on slower surfaces in particular.

The Tecnifibre X-One Special Editon DTF is a true class ball, but I think the 2 other balls in question here could take over as my new favorite tennis ball :p

Dunlop Roland Garross and the old Slazenger Wimbledon Ultravis is no longer my favorites.

Which one is your favorite and WHY ?

Could you drop a line about Dunlop Roland Garros?
2 heavy ?

mikeler 12-05-2009 01:14 PM

Have you ever tried Prince balls?

ClubHoUno 12-05-2009 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by julian (Post 4174401)
Could you drop a line about Dunlop Roland Garros?
2 heavy ?

Dunlop Roland Garross is a VERY NICE ball, in fact used to be one of my favorite tennis balls a year ago or so - but it simply is not that durable compared to the new ones in my poll. It looses its pressure too fast in my view, but as I say - It's still a top class ball, but probably only Top 4 or 5 on my personal list.

ClubHoUno 12-05-2009 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 4174818)
Have you ever tried Prince balls?

No, should I :p

Are they any good - I mean do they make an absolut TOP CLASS BALL ?

julian 12-05-2009 02:30 PM

Dunlop Roland Garros

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClubHoUno (Post 4174910)
Dunlop Roland Garross is a VERY NICE ball, in fact used to be one of my favorite tennis balls a year ago or so - but it simply is not that durable compared to the new ones in my poll. It looses its pressure too fast in my view, but as I say - It's still a top class ball, but probably only Top 4 or 5 on my personal list.

Do u use Dunlop Roland Garros on hard surfaces as well ?

ReopeningWed 12-05-2009 02:38 PM

My favorite is Wilson U.S. Open

jazzyfunkybluesy 12-05-2009 03:27 PM

I like the Penn ATP balls.

Marshredder 12-05-2009 05:02 PM

Head ATP or Slazenger Wimbledon UltraVis.

mikeler 12-05-2009 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClubHoUno (Post 4174913)
No, should I :p

Are they any good - I mean do they make an absolut TOP CLASS BALL ?

Their clay court balls are second to none. I'd say their hard court balls are better than average.

ac3111 12-05-2009 07:28 PM

I prefer the UltraVis over the Extra life... Extra life seems a bit like fake maybe because it feels to me harder and stiffer than the UltraVis. The bad thing with UltraVis is that it loses the fur too quickly. It becomes bald and the ball ends up half the size it used to be. I am going to try the Dunlop Roland Garros soon the ones in the black can.
The Head Pro I don't like it much because it seems too big and too heavy. I think in a way it has similar feel to the ultra vis but feels bigger and heavier.
I tried Prince tour and other versions of prince. I like the prince tour because it feels smaller, is bouncy and accelerates fast but the feel is a bit harsh...

mikeler 12-05-2009 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ac3111 (Post 4175472)
I prefer the UltraVis over the Extra life... Extra life seems a bit like fake maybe because it feels to me harder and stiffer than the UltraVis. The bad thing with UltraVis is that it loses the fur too quickly. It becomes bald and the ball ends up half the size it used to be. I am going to try the Dunlop Roland Garros soon the ones in the black can.
The Head Pro I don't like it much because it seems too big and too heavy. I think in a way it has similar feel to the ultra vis but feels bigger and heavier.
I tried Prince tour and other versions of prince. I like the prince tour because it feels smaller, is bouncy and accelerates fast but the feel is a bit harsh...

What do you mean by harsh? My experience has been the opposite. Good description above, thanks!

ClubHoUno 12-06-2009 02:41 AM

Keep the comments coming :D

Has NoONE really tried the Babolat VS and the Tecnifibre X-One Special Edition DTF ???

Dags 12-06-2009 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClubHoUno (Post 4175876)
Has NoONE really tried the Babolat VS and the Tecnifibre X-One Special Edition DTF ???

Are these the Babolat VS that sell for 12.49 per can on TW Europe? Is it any wonder no one has tried them? ;-)

I currently have a case of the red X-One, and really like them. A nice weight, and don't fuzz up too much (which was my big problem with the Wimbledon UltraViz). They also hold pressure for a long time. In what way are the Special Edition balls better?

ac3111 12-06-2009 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 4175498)
What do you mean by harsh? My experience has been the opposite. Good description above, thanks!

I mean hard and stiff. This is my impression about the ball when it is new and not heavily used. We change balls when very often so can't comment about durability. And I am not a hard hitter, don't break strings so take this also into consideration...

ClubHoUno 12-06-2009 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dags (Post 4176010)
Are these the Babolat VS that sell for 12.49 per can on TW Europe? Is it any wonder no one has tried them? ;-)

I currently have a case of the red X-One, and really like them. A nice weight, and don't fuzz up too much (which was my big problem with the Wimbledon UltraViz). They also hold pressure for a long time. In what way are the Special Edition balls better?

The Red X-One is a 2. grade ball compared to the X-One Special Edition DTF. Some of them have weird bounces and stuff like that - this is why the Red X-One is so cheap compared to the real X-One ball :twisted:

THESEXPISTOL 12-06-2009 12:00 PM

Head ATP or Head Championship.. All the others suck in clay after a few hits.

Dags 12-06-2009 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClubHoUno (Post 4176633)
The Red X-One is a 2. grade ball compared to the X-One Special Edition DTF. Some of them have weird bounces and stuff like that - this is why the Red X-One is so cheap compared to the real X-One ball :twisted:

7.46 for a can for seconds? I don't know where you buy the Special Edition, but I shudder to think how much they must cost.

I've never had a problem with my 'regular' X-Ones, so quality control must be insanely tough if they're being discarded. I play mainly indoors, so it's not just that I'm blaming any odd bounces on the court either. :-)

JavierLW 12-06-2009 01:01 PM

I dont believe any of three brands are even sold in the states, at least not where I am.

So who knows?

I like US Open because they seem to be the liveliest. I had good with K3 as well but those are hard to get.

Fedace 12-06-2009 01:04 PM

OK i will tell you something. I bought a Box of Slazenger wimbledon balls cause i think it is the best. but EVERYTIME i bring it for the League play or match play, the Guys don't want to play with it....... I guess they dont' know the reputation of these balls or they think it is ONLY for the Grass courts.....????????